• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How not to run a creator signing / cgc event
1 1

5 posts in this topic

https://bleedingcool.com/comics/jason-fabok-apologies-for-comic-shop-charging-50-to-sign-three-jokers/

there were some red flags before the signing like not answering questions, not releasing pricing or signing time/details... but it ended up being a total mess. When your talent ends up going behind your back on social media begging forgiveness to their fans and pushing customers towards another facilitator/agent to help make it right... well, that’s pretty bad. 
Pity, cgc signings are not complicated to run or promote... there should have been more than enough of this issue around not to charge $25 for it, and unfortunately it’s a very bad black eye for both cgc and Toronto - which has a long successful track record with signings and sig series. Yikes!

37 minutes ago, brettfes said:

https://bleedingcool.com/comics/jason-fabok-apologies-for-comic-shop-charging-50-to-sign-three-jokers/

there were some red flags before the signing like not answering questions, not releasing pricing or signing time/details... but it ended up being a total mess. When your talent ends up going behind your back on social media begging forgiveness to their fans and pushing customers towards another facilitator/agent to help make it right... well, that’s pretty bad. 
Pity, cgc signings are not complicated to run or promote... there should have been more than enough of this issue around not to charge $25 for it, and unfortunately it’s a very bad black eye for both cgc and Toronto - which has a long successful track record with signings and sig series. Yikes!

The term “Jokers” is appropriately applied here lol 

44 minutes ago, Dolt said:

How is it a black eye for CGC?

To the uniformed customer, it looks like Cgc is affiliated with this event, and certainly approved the parts of it that relate to Cgc.  An average customer may not be able to distinguish who they should be disgruntled with.

similarly, many creators already have the opinion that Cgc SS = reckless wanton profiteering at the expense of creators and fans.  This impression may result not wanting Cgc involved at their future events.  

On 9/5/2020 at 2:27 PM, revat said:

To the uniformed customer, it looks like Cgc is affiliated with this event, and certainly approved the parts of it that relate to Cgc.  An average customer may not be able to distinguish who they should be disgruntled with.

similarly, many creators already have the opinion that Cgc SS = reckless wanton profiteering at the expense of creators and fans.  This impression may result not wanting Cgc involved at their future events.  

This is just your personal opinion. Ill throw mine out there and I have had nothing but good experiences with CGC SS thus far. 

8 hours ago, Gator Guru said:

This is just your personal opinion. Ill throw mine out there and I have had nothing but good experiences with CGC SS thus far. 

Yeah but I read the price list cold and got the impression CGC was involved as well. All about 1st impression. That's how opinions get formed.

What I didn't get from the article is whether Fabok was paid the full amount of $50 per sig. Or did the store keep the $40 difference.

Edited by Randall Ries