• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Punchline
1 1

21 posts in this topic

What did you find when you looked it up on eBay?

im pretty  sure if you can find the slab  it will say

Edited by revat

51 minutes ago, Avi said:

First cameo
First full cameo
First appearance
First half appearance
First full appearance
First appearance on cover
Im sure Im missing some...9_9

Preview appearance

1st appearance in an ad

1st appearance in costume

Thanks.  CGC says Hell Arisen 3.  But  this issue is only a cameo similar to Hulk 180 and ASM 299.  Batman 92 is the first full appearance. CGC apparently has it wrong. Lets see what Overstreet says

when it comes out...

Edited by jduran1

16 minutes ago, jduran1 said:

Thanks.  CGC says Hell Arisen 3.  But  this issue is only a cameo similar to Hulk 180 and ASM 299.  Batman 92 is the first full appearance. CGC apparently has it wrong. Lets see what Overstreet says

when it comes out...

I doubt Overstreet will include that. You'll probably have to wait for next year. Reminds me of Havok's first appearance, he has like 3 books associated to that.

Anyways CGC has Batman 89 as first appearance of Punchline in Cameo (which is the same as Hulk 180), rendering Hell Arizen 3 kind of redundant. However, Hell Arizen 3 has  a smaller print run than Batman 89 so that will probably be the book that's worth more in short term.

Edited by William-James88

The 1st appearance is very important since it effects the value of the book.   This is serious stuff since it involves a Key character for years to come..... and money.... The reason I brought this

up is because sellers on some selling sites, depending on the book they own will tell you their book is the 1st appearance....  X-men 126 is a good example of this situation.....

11 minutes ago, William-James88 said:

You gather the same for The batman who laughs?

Yup

Why would these books grow? Look at the first Bat weiner. That book sold like hot cakes initially and now....dead in the water. People who had to catch a glimpse got it, those who bought with hopes to get value are stuck with books they overpaid for.

Granted that’s different than characters but I feel speculators are driving this and it can only last so long. These stories are nothing groundbreaking or even good. It will a fade as those who have to have it get it and interest shifts elsewhere.

With new characters you have to ask yourself will they sustain? Can it grow and be something people will gravitate towards and last? Can you keep using the character or is it something that runs its course? Do fans actually like the character?

Punchline is a copycat of an existing character. Batman Who Laughs is not something you can make last for five more years. I mean I challenge them to keep that premise fresh for long.

Harley Quinn is a character that has always grabbed fans. Classic characters will always be the forefront. New characters are a big gamble and not one smart comic investors would waste money on.

That being said if you legit love the stories, art and characters like Punchline and Batman Who Laughs then by all means, buy buy buy! But if you are thinking “hey this book is hot, maybe I will buy and cash in when a movie comics out” I think you will be disappointed 

On 9/4/2020 at 7:18 PM, comicginger1789 said:

Yup

Why would these books grow? Look at the first Bat weiner. That book sold like hot cakes initially and now....dead in the water. People who had to catch a glimpse got it, those who bought with hopes to get value are stuck with books they overpaid for.

Granted that’s different than characters but I feel speculators are driving this and it can only last so long. These stories are nothing groundbreaking or even good. It will a fade as those who have to have it get it and interest shifts elsewhere.

What are your thoughts on Venom 3 and Knull?

20 hours ago, William-James88 said:

What are your thoughts on Venom 3 and Knull?

Of all the newer characters, that speculation seems stronger. I believe a lot can be done and has been done with that character already. Again it could just be the flavour of the month too but overall I feel the writing and response with that character is much stronger than with Puchline or Batman Who Laughs.

On 9/4/2020 at 7:28 PM, comicginger1789 said:

Harley Quinn is a character that has always grabbed fans. Classic characters will always be the forefront. New characters are a big gamble and not one smart comic investors would waste money on.

Harley started out in television and then moved to comics, so I'm not sure it'll be the same circumstance. I'm not sure I'm buying the hype on this either, but I dunno if the Harley comparison is totally fair.

55 minutes ago, bpc3qh said:

Harley started out in television and then moved to comics, so I'm not sure it'll be the same circumstance. I'm not sure I'm buying the hype on this either, but I dunno if the Harley comparison is totally fair.

It’s not but that’s what people hyping this new character want to believe. 

I guess my main point is that Harley has legit fans from day one or close to it. This propelled her. Punchline may have some fans but I moreso think it’s speculators driving the bus and not true fans of the character or stories she’s a part of.