• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Has CGC ever admitted to not grading a book correctly?
2 2

15 posts in this topic

I'm not talking about QC issues (like wrong labels) and books that got damaged during the process. I really mean cases where fans send a book they think is a grade, then they get it back and it's much lower than they think it should be and then ask CGC to check again to which CGC goes "you're right, it's not a 7.0, it should be a 9.0 instead".

I ask because it seems people think this is a thing that can happen, while I see no reason to think that. We see a bunch of people asking if the slabbed grade is indeed the right grade. Some people even send it back to CGC to check if they made a mistake. And I just want to know, has that ever worked? Has CGC ever said they were mistaken about the grade that they indicated?

Edited by William-James88

25 minutes ago, joeypost said:

Usually they say it by buying the book. Years back there was a book that was not trimmed, then it turned trimmed and then it was no longer trimmed after the owner sold it out of frustration And it was resubmitted by the new owner. I believe CGC purchased the book outright. 

Was that the JIM 83?

What the OP asks is rare, but it does happen. It happened to me (actually a client's book I sent in) just a month ago. Sent in a Marvel Team-Up and it came back 9.8 but with a labeling error. The pizzazz insert not noted on the label. The book did not look 9.8. Contacted customer service, did the "mechanical error" thing and CGC cheerfully agreed to take the book back to fix the labeling error. 

Shortly after receipt received an email from CGC that said they had made a mistake on grading the book initially and it was now going to be a 9.4. They offered/client accepted a $50 credit for the mistake. 

On 9/4/2020 at 1:05 PM, William-James88 said:

I really mean cases where fans send a book they think is a grade, then they get it back and it's much lower than they think it should be and then ask CGC to check again to which CGC goes "you're right, it's not a 7.0, it should be a 9.0 instead".

Well, since they've already slabbed millions of books bt now, the obvious common sense answer would be YES.  :gossip:

Probably not quite to the degree that you are talking about because to go from a CGC 7.0 grade up to a CGC 9.0 is really quite a bit of a stretch.  Haven't we already seen some examples of this that have taken place before in the past?  :(

1 hour ago, The Lions Den said:

I've seen this a few times, but it's rare. I purchased a book graded 9.0 and cracked it out. Looking it over, I really thought it was better than a 9.0. I sent it back in and it received a 9.4 the second time around. So it is possible...

Your comments are always aprpeciated. What you mention is different from what I am asking. What you reffer to could be a mistake, but it could also simply be the interpretation of the grader. After purchasing the slab, you didn't contact CGC to let them know that they made a mistake. Instead, you cracked it and sent it to them as any other submission. What I am asking for here is a scenario where CGC agrees to take a slab back and change the grade, as if it was a mistake on their part. And the reason I ask is because I am pretty sure the answer is no, or extremely rare. Which is a huge contrast to the myriad of posts you and I see every week of people second guessing what they see in the slab and wondering if there must have been an error. 

In any case, your comment helps me quite a bit because from here on out, if anyone says they doubt the grade they see in the slab, then that will be the advice: if you don't think it's that grade, then send it back to be regraded, at your cost.

I had success.  Submitted a Daredevil 181 with production ink splatter on the spine, they graded it a. 8.0, the notes stated "foreign material center right back cover."  I emailed them and explained that the foreign material was ink splatter from production, which is common on late bronze marvels, and shouldnt affect the grade.  They said to send it back and theyll take another look.  I sent it back, they regraded it and gave me an 8.5.  Still had color breaks and foxing limiting the grade.  I still feel the book was in the 9.0/9.2 range, but I did get a bump after after all.

You should definitely ask CGC to recheck and regrade if you really think they made a mistake. I've had several books regraded for free and got better results. The best example is my Batman 251 which originally received a 9.0 with white/off-white pages. I wrote to CGC and told them they must have made a mistake, because the book was practically flawless and that any stress lines should have been corrected by pressing. Also, CGC originally said that there was a small corner crease, which they realized was not actually a crease after regrading it. It came back graded 9.6 with WHITE pages! Amazing but true. It's a pain in the to have to check CGC's grading and get them to fix it, but they will if you are clear and have a legitimate argument. Heck, they even credited me $100 for the trouble after they regraded about a dozen of my books, with most of them coming back with better grades. I figure it may have something to do with the fact that I've spent almost $10,000 on CGC/CSS, so I guess they want to keep me happy. 

There was one time I picked up books from CGC’s facility, maybe 8 years ago. This was when you could sit in one of the rooms and go through your books as customer service checked books you are dropping off. 

I had submitted a few copies of Incredible Hulk 197. I looked all the books over noticed one looked under graded and one looked over graded. The CS rep asked what was wrong and I explained it to her. She went be I get a grader for me. 

Paul Litch came out to take a peek at them and said he would be right back. After 15 minutes or so he had one book with a bump (where it should have been) and the second book had its grade dropped by .4, again, where it should have been. 

There was no way I could have sold the over graded book as it was. The book that got the bump is still in my personal collection.