• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Have you ever gotten a warning or a strike

29 posts in this topic

and have to guess what it is for?

Yesterday my thread in G/S/B was yanked and I got an email from the mods saying so but only saying (sic)
"you violated the guidelines, suggest you read them before posting again."

Searched a while as to how to ask them "why." A reply to the email just bounced back.

So I guessed they wanted a more timely posting of the rules of sale, and an hour ago I started a new thread starting with a posting of the rules. 

Thread yanked again, this time with an email noting a strike and this time specifying

Posting the thread several hours before auction begins.  Use announcement thread in the future.  

I am missing  something? Where in the guidelines for selling  is this mentioned?

IMO, major fail in communicating by the mods on two different levels.

I am happy to comply with rules, and even the spirit of rules, but this kind of heavy handiness is a bit lame.  

15 minutes ago, whomerjay said:

Yesterday my thread in G/S/B was yanked and I got an email from the mods saying so but only saying (sic)

Searched a while as to how to ask them "why." A reply to the email just bounced back.

So I guessed they wanted a more timely posting of the rules of sale, and an hour ago I started a new thread starting with a posting of the rules. 

Thread yanked again, this time with an email noting a strike and this time specifying

Posting the thread several hours before auction begins.  Use announcement thread in the future.  

I am missing  something? Where in the guidelines for selling  is this mentioned?

I am happy to comply with rules, and even the spirit of rules, but this kind of heavy handiness is a bit lame.  

Please take this to the moderation area of the boards which is the proper place for this... where you can properly be ignored there.  

https://www.cgccomics.com/boards/forum/71-moderation-action-discussion-faq/

Edited by Buzzetta

12 minutes ago, Buzzetta said:

Please take this to the moderation area of the boards which is the proper place for this... where you can properly be ignored there.  

thank you sir.  Will post there shortly... or will duplicating this thread violate a rule?

And I assume you mean by the mods.

Edited by whomerjay

1 minute ago, whomerjay said:

thank you sir.  Will post there shortly... or will duplicating this thread violate a rule?

I don't think so.  If they do yell at you blame Hector.  

54 minutes ago, whomerjay said:

Sounds like someone humped the button.

Edited by THE_BEYONDER

15 minutes ago, Dolt said:

First post is "I hate it when people start threads hours before a book is even posted (on Ebay) and make us wait to attract attention,"

:bigsmile:

Fair  enough, and I get it. But at least specify to me this is the issue, and update the rules section if you are going to point to the rules.

3 minutes ago, whomerjay said:

Fair  enough, and I get it. But at least specify to me this is the issue, and update the rules section if you are going to point to the rules.

I posted an adhere to the rules thing last night and specifically named rules 9 and 10 in a thread... but did not hump the button.   The seller immediately changed their rules... no button humping was necessary.  

(9 and 10) are asking for PayPal fees ... 

1 hour ago, whomerjay said:

Welcome To The Party Pal Die Hard GIFs | Tenor

8 minutes ago, Buzzetta said:

I posted an adhere to the rules thing last night and specifically named rules 9 and 10 in a thread... but did not hump the button.   The seller immediately changed their rules... no button humping was necessary.  

(9 and 10) are asking for PayPal fees ... 

Yes I saw that thread and assumed someone would politely let the (newbie) know. That is a more congenial way to deal with a rules violation.  But how does something that is not a rules violation get to be an unexplained warning or strike?

11 minutes ago, Pitboss said:

You didn't post any books for sale it was just an announcement of a sale. They get pulled ALMOST every time. Pretty sure it's rule 6 that got you yanked. Next time just list a cheap book as a placeholder,you can always edit it out later.

Thanks, that precedent is good to know, although having seem such threads that are NOT pulled confuses. You may be right about rule 6, but i interpret rule 6 :

"It must list specific books with purchase prices. It is acceptable to bulk price, and/or to note that package discounts may be available, but you must list a starting price that you WILL sell for."

to be about not allowing auctions without BINs, or mystery boxes.

And thanks for the tip; I'll start future threads with a few non-auction books maybe one day before then proceed with the auction later.

Aren't sales threads moderated differently for run of the mill posts? I thought boardies did that section, unless things got ugly and required a mod-mod.

@whomerjay when you quoted the mods, were those exact quotes that you copy-pasted? If so, that does not sound much like a mod-mod as they use customer-service-speak and sound like subalterns reading from a -script prepared by some professional obfuscator.

Edited by DavidTheDavid

9 hours ago, whomerjay said:

Thanks, that precedent is good to know, although having seem such threads that are NOT pulled confuses. You may be right about rule 6, but i interpret rule 6 :

"It must list specific books with purchase prices. It is acceptable to bulk price, and/or to note that package discounts may be available, but you must list a starting price that you WILL sell for."

to be about not allowing auctions without BINs, or mystery boxes.

And thanks for the tip; I'll start future threads with a few non-auction books maybe one day before then proceed with the auction later.

Why the need to post a thread prior to actually starting the auction?(shrug)

10 hours ago, Pitboss said:

You didn't post any books for sale it was just an announcement of a sale. They get pulled ALMOST every time. Pretty sure it's rule 6 that got you yanked. Next time just list a cheap book as a placeholder,you can always edit it out later.

Enabler:baiting:

14 hours ago, Pitboss said:

Well, that's kind of gaming/manipulating the rules.

22 minutes ago, Grandmaster B said:

It would be if there was a rule.  But there isn't.  I got hit by the same thing a couple of months ago.  And it's not consistently applied.

I miss the days when if you made a mistake, a board member would post a reminder or point out the rules so you could correct it.  Unfortunately, those days are gone, apparently.

3 hours ago, Randall Dowling said:
3 hours ago, Grandmaster B said:

It would be if there was a rule.  But there isn't.  I got hit by the same thing a couple of months ago.  And it's not consistently applied.

Yes, there is no specific rule but #6 could apply

And then there's this >> https://www.cgccomics.com/boards/topic/78739-usage-guidelines-read-before-posting/?tab=comments#comment-10182419

I know in that thread Arch is talking about manipulation through bumping and hiding but he still does mention "Please do not try to be "clever" to find a way to post a single book so you can make an "announcement" that isn't an announcement, ...."

Edited by Grandmaster B

2 minutes ago, Grandmaster B said:

Yes, there is no specific rule but #6 could apply

And then there's this >> https://www.cgccomics.com/boards/topic/78739-usage-guidelines-read-before-posting/?tab=comments#comment-10182419

I know in that thread Arch is talking about manipulation through bumping and hiding but he still does mention "Please do not try to be "clever" to find a way to post a single book so you can make an "announcement" that isn't an announcement, ...."

Sure.  My only point is they shouldn't base strikes on ambiguity.  

8 minutes ago, Grandmaster B said:

"Please do not try to be "clever" to find a way to post a single book so you can make an "announcement" that isn't an announcement, ...."

can someone explain what this means i dont do sales threads but am fascinated by this line.