• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Can an Ebay seller really be this Unaware??? or is it a scam???
5 5

442 posts in this topic

Parusing Ebay I came across this auction. Wondering if anyone else has this one on their watch list??

https://www.ebay.com/itm/60-Boxes-of-old-Picture-Books-Comic-Books-Cartoon-Books-Funnies/193648102906?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

part of the description:

I recognized a few characters. There are a bunch of old Thors, Iron Men, and there was a box of old Hulks (I loved Lou Farigno!) - Those seem to stop at 6 and start again over 100. I looked for the rest but couldn’t find them anywhere. They were all in the one box.

(really you dont know anything about comic books but you know enough to include pics of hulk 1-6 with a great looking copy of issue #1)

I pulled out a few from the boxes for photos. Everything in these photos is guaranteed to be in the boxes. I packed everything up after taking these pictures so please don’t ask for more.

(I'm sure no one wants to ask for additional information about the hulk #1)

Please feel free to give your thoughts

1 hour ago, valiantman said:

First of all, the 60 boxes claimed in the title are only 30 boxes in the picture, even counting Clorox.

The Incredible Hulk #1 was printed on modern paper.  It wasn't that white in 1962, let alone 58 years later.  It seems very possible that all 6 issues are just replicas.

This looks like about $20 to $50 per box, maximum... with a lot of effort to move the drek.  That's $600 to $1,500 total.

The slabs are likely about $20 to $25 each, and there are 20 of them.  That's another $400 to $500. 

The current bid is $4,050 - and the realistic RESALE value (with a lot of effort) is around $1,000 to $2,000.  Shipping is only $850, so the current total bid is $4,900.

For someone who claims to not collect anything, they certainly spent a lot of time buying books from different book sellers ten years ago to get that feedback score all the way up to 22.

That's the "why"... but if you only wanted the "what", it's a...

SCAM.

Imagine his displeasure when it gets returned and he has to pay the shipping both ways.

what do you guys think the scam is?  get the funds then close his paypal acct and get banned from ebay?

Edited by kav

6 hours ago, anstettoman said:

Parusing Ebay I came across this auction. Wondering if anyone else has this one on their watch list??

https://www.ebay.com/itm/60-Boxes-of-old-Picture-Books-Comic-Books-Cartoon-Books-Funnies/193648102906?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

part of the description:

I recognized a few characters. There are a bunch of old Thors, Iron Men, and there was a box of old Hulks (I loved Lou Farigno!) - Those seem to stop at 6 and start again over 100. I looked for the rest but couldn’t find them anywhere. They were all in the one box.

(really you dont know anything about comic books but you know enough to include pics of hulk 1-6 with a great looking copy of issue #1)

I pulled out a few from the boxes for photos. Everything in these photos is guaranteed to be in the boxes. I packed everything up after taking these pictures so please don’t ask for more.

(I'm sure no one wants to ask for additional information about the hulk #1)

Please feel free to give your thoughts

Even the feedback they've received seems sketchy.