• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Can an Ebay seller really be this Unaware??? or is it a scam???
5 5

442 posts in this topic

5 minutes ago, stock_rotation said:

ALL of those seller's books are color printouts of existing scans. There are even some of this books that are printouts of microfiche scans (like his Red Raven #1).

His Strange Tales 89 is a print of my scan of that comic I did back in 2007.

I knew he must be using scans, which are generally acessible online for pretty much everything. The Silver Age scans I've seen are not hi-res however, and I'm sure a side-by-side comparison would reveal his replicas to be noticeably inferior. 

Microfiche looks like garbage, crazy he would use that as a source.

Just looked at one of the Golden Age Batman's the replica guy is selling:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Detective-Comics-31-1939-Golden-Age-Replica-Edition-/224122602254?hash=item342ebf830e%3Ag%3AXwAAAOSwDjhfCND~&nma=true&si=DPeAA2nKXwHUFM2xt604JFRg6bg%3D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Indeed, it's printed from a microfiche and looks like trash. No idea why someone would pay $100 for that.

9 hours ago, kav said:

what are the differences between those reprints and orig-surely there must be something.  Wish Marvel would stop with this.

I don't believe Marvel had anything to do with those replicas.  The recent official Marvel facsimile releases are easily distinguishable from the originals.

21 minutes ago, RonS2112 said:

I don't believe Marvel had anything to do with those replicas.  The recent official Marvel facsimile releases are easily distinguishable from the originals.

Kav meant he wishes that Marvel would take action to stop the guy who's counterfeiting their comics. I wish Marvel was publishing exact reprints, that were clearly marked as such in the indicia.

Edited by kustomizer
extra thoughts

15 hours ago, stock_rotation said:

ALL of those seller's books are color printouts of existing scans. There are even some of this books that are printouts of microfiche scans (like his Red Raven #1).

His Strange Tales 89 is a print of my scan of that comic I did back in 2007.

s-l1600.thumb.jpg.0826faf2e62c419db5833b84c3fa0416.jpgstrange_tales_v1_089_03.jpg.051bf138b0a0bec55b6ea53266c51a5b.jpg

I'm a little confused...where is he selling a Strange Tales 89? I don't see that in any of his pictures.

maybe we should report.  enough reports will shut down an auction.  we suspect this listing is fraudulent.

24 minutes ago, anstettoman said:

kav better question is has any member placed a bid on the off chance that it may be legit??? last i looked $8k +  damn!!!

I highly doubt it.

48 minutes ago, anstettoman said:

kav better question is has any member placed a bid on the off chance that it may be legit??? last i looked $8k +  damn!!!

Apparently I am a buyer interested in the 6 Hulk books.

"I've been, honestly, inundated with over 100 messages about those since I put this up, which came as a bit of a shock to me. Most people asking about authenticating. I was planning on calling an authentication company on Tuesday. I really need more information to know what to ask for them, and I don't have the expertise to make a good guess myself.

You're welcome to make an offer. I've had quite a few at this point."

His response is measured and respectful. So I didn't troll him.

Otherwise I was planning to offer 12$ shipped media mail for the 6 Hulk books. 

33 minutes ago, Northwest said:

The collection owner graded a bunch of Gold Key... and not a Hulk 1. Seems legit :foryou:

It's a very random collection. Then again, so is mine. Maybe the guy inherited it all from more than one source, a couple of different uncles? It seems like a really odd collection to be scamming people with, I think the guy might be legit, just very naive.

5 hours ago, allthingskryptonite said:

Apparently I am a buyer interested in the 6 Hulk books.

"I've been, honestly, inundated with over 100 messages about those since I put this up, which came as a bit of a shock to me. Most people asking about authenticating. I was planning on calling an authentication company on Tuesday. I really need more information to know what to ask for them, and I don't have the expertise to make a good guess myself.

You're welcome to make an offer. I've had quite a few at this point."

His response is measured and respectful. So I didn't troll him.

Otherwise I was planning to offer 12$ shipped media mail for the 6 Hulk books. 

Is he asking you to make an offer separately from the ongoing auction?