• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Can an Ebay seller really be this Unaware??? or is it a scam???
5 5

442 posts in this topic

Just now, 35CentEra said:

The pretending to be a clueless bumpkin is a very effective tactic that prey's on one's greed.  A tried an true hallmark of an effective con.

No con works without greed.  If someone walked up and held out a $100 bill and said want a $100 dollars?  I would say NOPE.

5 minutes ago, 35CentEra said:

Some cons work without greed and prey on charitable nature. But yeah the most effective target greed.

Good point.  Fake charity is def a con.  
Greed or desire to feel good abt yourself-any others?

48 minutes ago, wombat said:

Is he asking you to make an offer separately from the ongoing auction? 

Yes. That's what he suggested.

" I may end up having to take this down until I can send these off and get them back. I need to call a few places and see what it'll cost.

I'll know on Tuesday (hopefully). I wish I *could* authenticate anything myself, but I don't work for an authentication company. Based on the messages I've gotten (I appreciate your courtesy - most have not been very nice) this seems to be important for these particular pieces.

I was hoping to just sell these off, but if I have to go through some leg work first I suppose there's no sense in complaining about it.

I'll let you know as soon as I know more."

7 hours ago, allthingskryptonite said:

Apparently I am a buyer interested in the 6 Hulk books.

"I've been, honestly, inundated with over 100 messages about those since I put this up, which came as a bit of a shock to me. Most people asking about authenticating. I was planning on calling an authentication company on Tuesday. I really need more information to know what to ask for them, and I don't have the expertise to make a good guess myself.

You're welcome to make an offer. I've had quite a few at this point."

His response is measured and respectful. So I didn't troll him.

Otherwise I was planning to offer 12$ shipped media mail for the 6 Hulk books. 

Completely non-confrontational observation. My girlfriend, who is younger and in her late 20’s, puts the $ after the numbers instead of in front. It’s trivial but for some reason drives me bonkers! 

$100....100$ :pullhair: I must be getting old. 

2 minutes ago, Callaway29 said:

Completely non-confrontational observation. My girlfriend, who is younger and in her late 20’s, puts the $ after the numbers instead of in front. It’s trivial but for some reason drives me bonkers! 

$100....100$ :pullhair: I must be getting old. 

I'm in my late 20's too. :bigsmile:

As I get older and wiser I will put the $ before everything else. 

10 minutes ago, allthingskryptonite said:

Bah, just make the switch to the vernacular units:

$1 = bone

$100 = bill

$1000 = stack

Just don’t mix them up.  “I’ll give you 2 bones for that X-Force 1” will leave you a lot richer than “I’ll give you 2 stacks for that X-Force 1”.

1 hour ago, allthingskryptonite said:

It actually makes sense to have the $ sign after the number, because that's how you say it -- 100 dollars. In fact every other measurement symbol comes after the number (such as 20° and 50km) so I'm all for it! AND I'm old!

3 hours ago, kustomizer said:

It actually makes sense to have the $ sign after the number, because that's how you say it -- 100 dollars. In fact every other measurement symbol comes after the number (such as 20° and 50km) so I'm all for it! AND I'm old!

Was that just your 2c :roflmao: 

But while we await the potential outcome of this ebay listing.  Who else has seen these?20200907_035334.jpg.53faabd2c6ebe21fa91b18de925de89c.jpg

From this 20200907_035405.thumb.jpg.bbf8662ce1ed9d6170f13e399fab9de6.jpg

For the pics he sent, look closely at the left side of the splash page from Hulk 1. Clearly something going on with the staples. Looks to me like at best its a coverless book with a repro cover.

I also messaged the seller just to see what excuses or nonsense he would say. He also told me that he "paid a family member to take some more pics". The pics he sent me were almost all pics that were already in the listing. Sellers like this always have some excuse as to why they can't easily do something completely reasonable. Often a buyer seeing dollar signs in their eyes will find ways to accept the story as legit and push aside the obvious red flags. All because the buyer wants to be on the receiving end of under paying for a large valuable collection at the expense of a seller who doesn't realize what he has. This is exactly what the seller wants buyers to get caught up in. 

Assuming he does in fact have all those comics (I'm still up in the air about if he is using pics from somewhere online or if he has a bunch of 25 cent to one dollar comics with some Hulk repo's thrown in) whoever wins this lot on the hope that the Hulk 1 is legit and justifies the price paid is going to have a fun time trying to fight the seller for a return once they get them in hand and discover the truth. 

Additionally the seller told me he wouldn't authenticate the Hulk 1 because it would "open him up to fraud".  Below was my response to him and I did report it to ebay as being fraudulent.  Of course I never heard back from the seller after that. 

Guaranteeing the authenticity of what your selling is the most basic responsibility of any seller. It's concerning that you would claim that opens you up to fraud. If you want top dollar like you say then you can't expect a buyer to pay you tens of thousands of dollars based on a hope that they're originals and not reprints. That doesn't make any sense. Also I went back to the listing and confirmed the majority of the additional pics you sent were just the same pics already in the listing.