• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Can an Ebay seller really be this Unaware??? or is it a scam???
5 5

442 posts in this topic

1 minute ago, Brock said:
On 9/8/2020 at 9:30 PM, THE_BEYONDER said:

Who knows what treasures await in that stack of slabs though....hm

I like to think it's 19 slabbed copies of The Hardy Boys #3.

All graded at 4.5.

Sorry, only 18 slabs of The Hardy Boys #3 - and all are 9.4 or higher.

http://www.cgcdata.com/cgc/search/title/:Hardy:Boys:/issue/3/label/all/orderby/alphabetical/variants/yes/census/200901/

Just now, Brock said:
4 minutes ago, valiantman said:

I just tried bluffing the only Hardy Boys collector on the boards...

No, you tried pointing out an extremely unlikely CGC Census possibility to the guy who runs CGCdata.com :kidaround:

2 hours ago, gadzukes said:

My daughter was clearing out her closet before she went into the military and asked me to sell bunch of her old beanie babies (you know... the ones that were going to make everyone rich).

I thought just to be safe I'd start the bidding at $1 each. I thought that surely I'd get at least $5 each but......  I didn't even sell ONE.  :eek:  Drek is Drek.  Comics from the 1990s are nearly impossible to sell.

I use any excuse to post this. 

1 Both lawyers from divorcing couple are sitting there going "We get $350  an hour for Court time".via Reddit#2 Wife made … | Baby beanie, Funny  pictures, Hilarious

1 hour ago, 1950's war comics said:

the stack-o-slabs drek are so bad that it's not even worth taking a picture of ....

Probably empty slabs, or there would be an image of them the same as the other, labels overlapped by the slabs. Think of it this way. If slabbed books are still in there, could whatever is in there be of any less value than that issue of From beyond The Unknown in 7.5 that he bought for $10? 

8 minutes ago, James J Johnson said:

In about 3 weeks, maybe less, we'll learn from a new member that he was the buyer, how wrong we all were, the Hulk 1 was the real thing, cover and interior, the Action 1 was the real deal, and how he flipped his $30,000 purchase into almost a cool million. 

If the sale did actually happen.  There will be a new member post on here in about 2 weeks in PGM Hulk 1 and asking questions about grading. 

3 hours ago, roccojoco said:

I too never got any response for additional photos of the slabbed Action Comics #1. FloppyB has more than enough information from inquiries to pull this book if it was authentic, but this guy is a fraud.

Yeah, the single-most important comic book in the world and he refuses to answer the most basic questions about it.

3 hours ago, gadzukes said:

My daughter was clearing out her closet before she went into the military and asked me to sell bunch of her old beanie babies (you know... the ones that were going to make everyone rich).

I thought just to be safe I'd start the bidding at $1 each. I thought that surely I'd get at least $5 each but......  I didn't even sell ONE.  :eek:  Drek is Drek.  Comics from the 1990s are nearly impossible to sell.

The '90s really were the Dark Ages for comics.

36 minutes ago, kustomizer said:

In the 90s...

I got out of comics.... just wasn't interested.  Got back in when ebay started around 2000 and I could find good affordable vintage comics.

My wife & daughter went crazy with Beanie babies & Breyer horse models in the 90s

My son & I went crazy with Vintage GI joes & Vintage Star Wars figures in the 90s

Beanie Babies & Breyers = 00000000 $

Vintage GI Joe & Star Wars figures = :flipbait:

I let my son have 100% of everything he and I amassed.  I've looked up some prices and there's some good money there.

3 hours ago, serling1978 said:

I've got multiple long boxes of 90s superman garbage in my basement that I won't even waste time taking pics of to sell.  I picked them up as part of a $200 lot that included the full 70's marvel Star Wars run, the Marvel Transformers run, Marvel GI Joe run and others. So the purchase was worth it but I need to unload those 90s rags. I do have a fire pit out back.... hm

You never know, some of those might have recently become "keys" due to the first appearance of some suddenly "hot" character who's going to be in an upcoming movie. Worth a quick check before striking that match.

3 hours ago, James J Johnson said:

The amazing thing about this is the very little amount of time I actually spent with my "detective" work. Based on the scam itself, the style, the elements, having nothing more than that, the "vibe" of whole thing, I knew exactly what and where to look for the clues. It didn't take any real digging, no real sleuthing, and shockingly little time and effort. Once you figure out how they think based on the "shot", it's easy to find all the nails for the coffin. 

You don't give yourself enough credit. It was some fine detective work on your part. 

30 minutes ago, kustomizer said:

30 minutes ago, kustomizer said:

My comic collection was almost entirely amassed in my childhood from the mid-70s to late 80s By the 90s, I had moved on to other things. (I still have my collection, though, and it's one of my most treasured possessions.) I have very little familiarity with 90s comics. I'm not surprised that most comics from that decade have almost no monetary value. That makes sense, since collectors were hoarding them in large numbers as investments. But I'm really surprised to hear that the quality was so bad, to the point that no one even wants to read them, even if they're free. What exactly happened in the 90s? Did all the big-name writers just walk out?

4 hours ago, gadzukes said:

Tell your daughter that a lot of her countrymen and collectors on this message board thank her for her service to the nation<3

There was good money to be made on beanie babies - in the late 1990's.  A coworker in the office I managed was a notorious eBay hustler back in the day. His wife was a manager at McDonald's.  Roy was carrying bags full of Beanie Babies home weekly and selling them on eBay

Edited by Tony S