• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Can an Ebay seller really be this Unaware??? or is it a scam???
5 5

442 posts in this topic

1 minute ago, onlyweaknesskryptonite said:

Think most of us have been there. Takes a really good eye to even spot the difference between 9.4-9.8 . I would say 9.6 , but recently they have been giving some gift grades and really HARSH grades. All a flip of the coin.

Sending a bunch of death of supermans in for slabbing hoping for 9.8s would be a financial disaster.

4 minutes ago, tvindy said:

So you would advise against slabbing 30,000 Superman comics from the 90s? hm

It would be well worth the $600,000 investment (plus the $22,500 for the books and shipping)-and flooding the market with em will getcha top dollar.

Edited by kav

It's interesting to compare this with AMS #252, which came out in the 80s. People predicted it would be worth a lot of money and were frantically buying up as many copies as they could. Unlike Superman, it actually turned out to be a fairly okay investment. I'm guessing that's because Marvel didn't ramp up production to meet increased demand. It was so scarce that I was only able to get my hands on a copy about a month after its release, and I had to pay $7 for it. I doubt anyone could have filled up a garage with it. It sounds like DC printed about a billion copies of Superman #75.

11 minutes ago, gadzukes said:

I bought 3 cases of pre-superman death books thinking I would make a fortune.  You know.... the ones that showed Doomsday's Arm at the end of the comic (another DC scam).

:facepalm:

It's called a story.

DC wasn't (and isn't) involved in the secondary market.

3 minutes ago, tvindy said:

It's interesting to compare this with AMS #252, which came out in the 80s. People predicted it would be worth a lot of money and were frantically buying up as many copies as they could. Unlike Superman, it actually turned out to be a fairly okay investment. I'm guessing that's because Marvel didn't ramp up production to meet increased demand. It was so scarce that I was only able to get my hands on a copy about a month after its release, and I had to pay $7 for it. I doubt anyone could have filled up a garage with it. It sounds like DC printed about a billion copies of Superman #75.

Six million copies.  Numbers like that were only printed in the golden age if I'm correct.

Edited by kav

2 minutes ago, tvindy said:

If retailers(/distributors) had ordered 5 million copies of ASM 252, you'd better believe Marvel would have printed them.

1 hour ago, kav said:

I still see the variant madness as a replay of the foil cover era.
We'll see.

I can't predict how the value of today's variants will change over time,  but the one difference between today's variants and books of the 90's is that the variants are extremely low print runs (thousands, if not hundreds) compared to many books in the 90's that had print runs in excess of 3 million copies. Will be interesting to see what happens. 

2 minutes ago, Motor City Rob said:

I can't predict how the value of today's variants will change over time,  but the one difference between today's variants and books of the 90's is that the variants are extremely low print runs (thousands, if not hundreds) compared to many books in the 90's that had print runs in excess of 3 million copies. Will be interesting to see what happens. 

Each individual variant may have low print runs but overall arent variant covers printed in same if not greater quantity as regular books?

42 minutes ago, Lazyboy said:

:facepalm:

It's called a story.

DC wasn't (and isn't) involved in the secondary market.

The way DC milked the appearance of Doomsday and the death of Superman to sell comics.  Milked Milked Milked.  Yeah, they had nothing to do with any of the problems of the 90s.

Greed

I succumbed to it too when I stupidly bought cases of some of the comics.

Edited by gadzukes

2 minutes ago, Motor City Rob said:

You may have a point. The only reason most GA drek is worth anything at all is because the vast majority of copies were destroyed. A tiny percentage of that junk have popular covers and are worth a lot, kind of like modern variants.

However, there were very few (at least relatively) issues in the 90s with print runs that even exceeded 1 million copies and a bunch of those are actually worth something. Many major titles even continued their downward trends during the few insane years.

6 minutes ago, gadzukes said:

The way DC milked the appearance of Doomsday and the death of Superman to sell comics.  Milked Milked Milked.  Yeah, they had nothing to do with any of the problems of the 90s.

Greed

I succumbed to it too when I stupidly bought cases of some of the comics.

Of the bigger players, DC probably had the least to do with the problems that nearly destroyed the industry in the 90s, though they certainly participated.

56 minutes ago, gadzukes said:

I bought 3 cases of pre-superman death books thinking I would make a fortune.  You know.... the ones that showed Doomsday's Arm at the end of the comic (another DC scam).

Each case has 300 comics.  So i had 900 comics.  When I bought the cases I figured half the comics in each case would be 9.8s.

Wait... when did you buy those cases? ???

13 minutes ago, 1950's war comics said:

is that what your buddy/LCS owner eventually did with his 200 boxes ? or did he sell them 10 for a penny???

He found someone that thought they could turn a profit and sold em all to him for like $100.  He did not turn a profit.  Landfill city.