• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Can an Ebay seller really be this Unaware??? or is it a scam???
5 5

442 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, Lazyboy said:

Of the bigger players, DC probably had the least to do with the problems that nearly destroyed the industry in the 90s, though they certainly participated.

I tend to think the "death" of Superman was the nail in the coffin, because it was such an outright lie. Who kills off their flagship character? But lots of "normal" folks thought it was genuine and were investing in copies of that, thinking it would be a surefire pay-off. Until the resurrection event inevitably occurred, and the public was betrayed.

Edited by kustomizer
extra thoughts

From $13,000 on, it was down to 3 bidders - 5236, 844, and 361.  

5236 dropped out after $18,500.

Seller 844 competed against 361 the rest of the way up.

I hope everyone is right that 361 was a "throw away" account and not a serious bidder.

It will be interesting to follow what happens in the near future.

5 hours ago, kustomizer said:

I tend to think the "death" of Superman was the nail in the coffin, because it was such an outright lie. Who kills off their flagship character? But lots of "normal" folks thought it was genuine and were investing in copies of that, thinking it would be a surefire pay-off. Until the resurrection event inevitably occurred, and the public was betrayed.

I was there and remember this event pretty well.  I don't think anyone thought Superman was dead for good, and DC did a good job of making the "death" a real cultural event -- big enough to make the nightly news and grab newspaper headlines.  It was enough to draw in non-regular comic book readers, who were willing to pay a small premium to have their piece of the event.  So for a short time, speculators made some money, until the novelty passed and they were left selling to each other.  So I can only partially blame DC for the feeding frenzy,  Certainly, they published enough copies of Superman #75, that everyone should have seen the writing on the wall.

Anyway, I till have my 9.8 copies of Man of Steel #18 and Superman #75, which I bought for cover price back in '93.  So it would be a bit of a payoff, even now. 

Funny thing is, once you get past all the speculator-DC-contrived-cultural-event nonsense, the Death of Superman arc is actually a pretty decent storyline. 

1 minute ago, RonS2112 said:

I was there and remember this event pretty well.  I don't think anyone thought Superman was dead for good, and DC did a good job of making the "death" a real cultural event -- big enough to make the nightly news and grab newspaper headlines.  It was enough to draw in non-regular comic book readers, who were willing to pay a small premium to have their piece of the event.  So for a short time, speculators made some money, until the novelty passed and they were left selling to each other.  So I can only partially blame DC for the feeding frenzy,  Certainly, they published enough copies of Superman #75, that everyone should have seen the writing on the wall.

Anyway, I till have my 9.8 copies of Man of Steel #18 and Superman #75, which I bought for cover price back in '93.  So it would be a bit of a payoff, even now. 

Funny thing is, once you get past all the speculator-DC-contrived-cultural-event nonsense, the Death of Superman arc is actually a pretty decent storyline. 

I was there too. Regular folks (non-comic collectors) did think that DC was genuinely killing off Superman in a 'bold' step towards the future. The media reports gave that distinct impression too. Usually when a character dies, even in fiction, he doesn't come back. Comics and soap operas are the exception to this.

6 hours ago, kustomizer said:

I believed it, because it made sense. Superman was becoming more and more of an anachronism, and he was not nearly as popular as he had been in the past. The storylines that could spawn from the aftermath of that event (the DC universe's oldest, most powerful and most ethical hero being killed) could go on for years. It would mark the ending of an age. And you could still have Superman stories on alternate Earths. Also, some Kryptonians were still around, like Supergirl and the Kandorians. I see the situation as somewhat analogous to what Disney did with Mickey Mouse. No, they didn't kill him, but they long ago stopped producing Mickey Mouse cartoons and comics. (Other classic characters, such as Donald and Goofy, still get occasional cartoons and even movies.) Mickey is Disney's flagship character, but he exists now only as a symbol. I assumed something similar was in store for Superman. Also, for him to truly be the greatest hero of all time, he really does need to have a heroic (and permanent) death.

15 minutes ago, tvindy said:

I believed it, because it made sense. Superman was becoming more and more of an anachronism, and he was not nearly as popular as he had been in the past. The storylines that could spawn from the aftermath of that event (the DC universe's oldest, most powerful and most ethical hero being killed) could go on for years. It would mark the ending of an age. And you could still have Superman stories on alternate Earths. Also, some Kryptonians were still around, like Supergirl and the Kandorians. I see the situation as somewhat analogous to what Disney did with Mickey Mouse. No, they didn't kill him, but they long ago stopped producing Mickey Mouse cartoons and comics. (Other classic characters, such as Donald and Goofy, still get occasional cartoons and even movies.) Mickey is Disney's flagship character, but he exists now only as a symbol. I assumed something similar was in store for Superman. Also, for him to truly be the greatest hero of all time, he really does need to have a heroic (and permanent) death.

Very well said. You certainly put a lot more thought into this than I ever did. Your position is absolutely valid, and what you suggest would have been a very meaningful and admirable outcome.

50 minutes ago, tvindy said:

Haven't you seen Mickey Mouse Clubhouse??  Mickey and the Roadster Racers? Hot dog hot dog hot diggity dog. Mickey is alive and well as I and my two young children can very much attest to :nyah:

3 minutes ago, serling1978 said:

Haven't you seen Mickey Mouse Clubhouse??  Mickey and the Roadster Racers? Hot dog hot dog hot diggity dog. Mickey is alive and well as I and my two young children can very much attest to :nyah:

Oh, darn! There goes my whole thesis! Curse you, Disney!

doh!

18 minutes ago, tvindy said:

Oh, darn! There goes my whole thesis! Curse you, Disney!

doh!

Haha there's also a newer show that is pretty off the wall. Kind of reminds me of Ren and Stimpy. It's just called Mickey Mouse. 

Man, this thread has really gone off the rails. I hope floppybubbles is reading all this. 

Screenshot_20200911-104212~2.png

16 hours ago, valiantman said:

'361' is the winning bidder.  '844' is the seller, who shilled the price all the way up.  I'm hoping '361' is a "good samaritan" who doesn't care if their (old) Ebay account gets banned because they didn't want anyone to get scammed.  If I had an old account like that, I might have done it myself.  I seriously doubt '361' will pay.

We should know about that in a few or two Fridays away. We are in Friday Thread mode now. :popcorn:

3 minutes ago, serling1978 said:

Haha there's also a newer show that is pretty off the wall. Kind of reminds me of Ren and Stimpy. It's just called Mickey Mouse. 

Man, this thread has really gone off the rails. I hope floppybubbles is reading all this. 

Screenshot_20200911-104212~2.png

Wow! I had no idea Mickey Mouse had made such a comeback!

It's cool how we've gone so far off topic that we're not even discussing comics anymore. Maybe it's just sour grapes, since none of us won the auction. lol

1 minute ago, Jesse-Lee said:

Maybe instead it's more like Grimace, the Hamburglar, all those old McDonalds characters who were around when I was a kid but aren't anymore... (shrug)

Yes, that's a good analogy. Gone but still recognizable symbols. I think probably Ronald would fit the bill.

btw does anyone remember the Professor? He was one of the original characters, but McDonald's made him disappear back in the 70s and somehow erased him from memory.

3 minutes ago, tvindy said:

Yes, that's a good analogy. Gone but still recognizable symbols. I think probably Ronald would fit the bill.

btw does anyone remember the Professor? He was one of the original characters, but McDonald's made him disappear back in the 70s and somehow erased him from memory.

No, but I do have this shirt that wear often:

5DF1885E-4FB1-412E-A112-C67FB1C900AA.jpeg

34 minutes ago, Jesse-Lee said:

No, but I do have this shirt that wear often:

5DF1885E-4FB1-412E-A112-C67FB1C900AA.jpeg

Oh man... I am definitely old! Haven’t seen that character for YEARS! I remembered McDonalds had a contest for kids to vote which McD character. :roflmao:

19 hours ago, gadzukes said:

My daughter was clearing out her closet before she went into the military and asked me to sell bunch of her old beanie babies (you know... the ones that were going to make everyone rich).

I thought just to be safe I'd start the bidding at $1 each. I thought that surely I'd get at least $5 each but......  I didn't even sell ONE.  :eek:  Drek is Drek.  Comics from the 1990s are nearly impossible to sell.

I had a similar outcome when I sold my Mom's Beanies several years ago. She was just going to throw them out, and I told her I'd take them and give her the money if they sold, because surely they're worth SOMETHING!

What I found was that they were almost literally worthless, and not worth the expense of shipping. I generally do "Free Shipping" and factor the shipping cost into the starting bid or BIN price, as people seem to like "Free Shipping" whether it's actually cheaper or not. But Beanies are surprisingly heavy, especially in bulk, so if I set the starting bid or BIN at the price of ACTUAL SHIPPING COST, they simply wouldn't sell. I sold a few before that but ended up losing money because I hadn't accounted on how pricey the shipping was going to be.

SO, yeah, with only a few exceptions, Beanies are nearly impossible to make a profit on.

Now, as for the side conversations about 90's drek comics, in the general I agree with you folks that they're usually not worth much. But there are exceptions, particularly if you have complete runs. Complete sets of even Image and Valiant 90's junk at its drekkiest will sell at the right price, and bulk boxes always sell, at least around here. The key is getting the drek at the right price. Paying a buck a book, yeah, you'll lose your shirt. But if you can get them for 5 cents a piece, or $25 a long, I don't think I've ever lost money on that stuff. It's not EASY to sell, and you have to put in work, but you can sell almost (ALMOST!) anything if priced right. Again, the key is what you put into it to begin with, and how much work you're wanting to put in. For me, it was a fun hobby.

I don't buy bulk much anymore, because as I get older I get tired of hefting boxes around. My last "big" buy was a 30+ long collection of drek. Took me several months to get it sorted and sold off, and I made money on it, and it was fun. But I also got tired of hefting boxes around, or finding space in the garage and laundry room to process them. So these days I stick with much smaller buys, or buys that are practically guaranteed to sell quick. But drek can be profitable and fun, if your expectations on return are properly calibrated. Please note that none of these opinions are inre: the eBay scam being discussed in this thread. That guy is clearly a mook.