• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Sam Grainger was one heck of an Artist

31 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, vodou said:

So that's why Thing looks just awful. Gads. Spatula inks.

Alcala went from the penthouse to the doghouse over the last twenty years haha. He’s taking some shots lately. What happened ??? 
I like his work on early Savage Sword of Conan.oh well 😂 

God it would be funny if Alfredo actually used a spatula on his inking duties 🤣

Edited by grapeape

3 hours ago, Chaykin Stevens said:

Alcala only worked on the first four pages, The posted page is Sal Buscema breakdowns withj finished art by Grainger.

This is "from the credits" or your eye? I'm asking because that atrocious Hulk...screams Alcala, not Grainger (imo), but the more delicate inking on Cap's face in panel four..that I see as Grainger.

Just now, vodou said:

This is "from the credits" or your eye? I'm asking because that atrocious Hulk...screams Alcala, not Grainger (imo), but the more delicate inking on Cap's face in panel four..that I see as Grainger.

I was just going by what it says on GCD. The comic's credits just say S. Buscema, A. Alcala, S. GraInger Artists.  By eye, I'd say the first four pages are definitely Alcala, and the sixth page onwards and the Cap close-up on the fifth page (numbered page 6 above, as they were counting ad pages) are definitely not Alcala. Personally, I prefer the Alcala pages, although superheroes were never his forte.  I don't see any Hulk, atrocious or otherwise - do you mean the Thing?

Edited by Chaykin Stevens

1 hour ago, Chaykin Stevens said:

do you mean the Thing?

Yes, every day my energy for being mindful of those kinds of details fades a little more.

1 hour ago, Chaykin Stevens said:

I was just going by what it says on GCD. The comic's credits just say S. Buscema, A. Alcala, S. GraInger Artists.

That's what I was getting at, splash page credits can be squishy for a number of reasons. Just check out X-Men #151 ;)

I'll leave it at "whoever" inked The Thing...should've retired from the industry later that same day.