• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Sam Grainger was one heck of an Artist

31 posts in this topic

I never had the pleasure of meeting Sam Grainger Born June 14, 1930 and died July 25, 1990 (Wikipedia). I believe many artists and collectors remember his work fondly. My hope is that the board might share the following. I'm at a disadvantage because I don't own a page inked by Sam (On my list of wants) so I'm counting on the board to share whatever they can. Whenever possible please attribute ownership info the best you can.

1) Show me your art...pretty please! Any pages and sketches you might have

2) Did anyone meet Sam at a convention? Can you share stories?

3) Anyone else that knows John Byrne and associates, can we have elaboration on Byrne's desire to keep Grainger inking X-Men after Dave Cockrum left the title?

Marvel Comics Source Wikipedia

Grainger made his Marvel Comics debut inking a backup story in X-Men #55 (April 1969), over penciler Werner Roth. He went on to ink further X-Men backups as well as covers and interior stories in The Avengers (over John Buscema, Sal Buscema, and Gene Colan); the satirical comic Not Brand Echh; The Incredible Hulk and Nick Fury, Agent of S.H.I.E.L.D. (both over Herb Trimpe); and the feature "Ka-Zar" in Astonishing Tales, over industry legend Jack Kirby.[3]

Among his considerable amount of 1970s work, Grainger inked penciler Dave Cockrum on several issues of X-Men, a title whose revival in that decade led to its becoming one of comics' most popular series.[3] Cockrum's successor, John Byrne, later stated that he had requested that Grainger be kept on as inker for his run so as to "soften the blow" of Cockrum's departure, but that this idea was rejected by editorial staff.[7]

Full disclosure these Jack Kirby-Sam Grainger Astonishing Tales pages are for sale on Romitaman.com I know the seller(not me) and I have always loved the work by Kirby and Grainger.

The beautiful X-Men 95 splash page(not mine) that sold last year is credited to Cockrum. Not credited is Sam Grainger who delivered exceptional inking.

asttales2p7.jpgasttales2p8.jpgSam Grainger Original Art For Sale | ComicArtTracker

Edited by grapeape

I really liked Sam's inks on X-Men as well.........  but for me, I best remember him as an early in ker over George Perez in the Avengers. Here are some examples.  First one is from Avengers 143. Next one is from Avengers 149. Next two are from Avenger 148 and the last one is from Avengers Annual 6. On that one, his name is on the credits on the original art  itself but not on what was printed- it may be uncredited

143pg17.jpg

149pg30.jpg

ave148pg17.jpg

ave148pg13.jpg

aveann6.jpg

Here's a page from Defenders #30 I came across in CAF (owner: Paul Roach). Pencils are by Sam Grainger, inked by Jack Abel.  This was Bill Mantlo's infamous Tapping Tommy fill in, which was included in an Amazing Heroes feature on the worst comics of all time.  Valkyrie was poweless against other women in those days, and couldn.t even defend herself against a female robot in the last panel.

BTd2VbMm_2108191828131gpadd.jpg

6 hours ago, robert frey said:

I really liked Sam's inks on X-Men as well.........  but for me, I best remember him as an early in ker over George Perez in the Avengers. Here are some examples.  First one is from Avengers 143. Next one is from Avengers 149. Next two are from Avenger 148 and the last one is from Avengers Annual 6. On that one, his name is on the credits on the original art  itself but not on what was printed- it may be uncredited

143pg17.jpg

149pg30.jpg

ave148pg17.jpg

ave148pg13.jpg

aveann6.jpg

Wow thanks Robert! What splendid pages.

4 hours ago, Chaykin Stevens said:

Here's a page from Defenders #30 I came across in CAF (owner: Paul Roach). Pencils are by Sam Grainger, inked by Jack Abel.  This was Bill Mantlo's infamous Tapping Tommy fill in, which was included in an Amazing Heroes feature on the worst comics of all time.  Valkyrie was poweless against other women in those days, and couldn.t even defend herself against a female robot in the last panel.

BTd2VbMm_2108191828131gpadd.jpg

Legendary haha wow thanx!!!

20 hours ago, Brian Peck said:

Anyoen ever see the original art for the 5 page back-up story Sam Grainger inked over Werner Roth from X-Men #57?

xmen_57_OS_1.jpg

I hope they weren't handed out as tips for coffee and bagel deliveries...:nyah:

6 hours ago, Latverian Tourism Board said:

I have a What If page pencilled by Jim Craig and inked by Sam Grainger. It’s an alternate origin issue for the Fantastic Four. 4C1DCE0F-746E-4FAC-A106-751D2CD01641.thumb.jpeg.9281a7d1b596b492f4d22bde3069a3d8.jpeg

And it looks like someone was practicing, bored or a big Shakespeare fan.
82F001A1-D28B-49AF-9D16-F02D5FE0D0BA.thumb.jpeg.81299fdcd1d059c02d088c76c8fe295e.jpeg

Nice origin recap. Great example.

On 9/5/2020 at 4:15 AM, Chaykin Stevens said:

On his Byrne Robotics forum Byrne said "When  I was signed up to pencil UNCANNY I asked that Grainger stay on as inker. I felt that it would make the transition easier for the readers. EiC Archie Goodwin was insistent that Terry Austin would be the new inker, and that was the end of that."

link

I was thinking about this. You can’t argue with the beauty of Austin inking over Byrne X-Men. It was meant to be.

Still the confidence Byrne had in Sam’s ability speaks volumes. Thanks to everyone chiming in. I can’t believe I never met Sam but I sure love his work.

Robert Frey’s collection.

Robert I didn’t get a chance to properly comment on these. Man they are beautiful. I pulled this one out and reposted just to focus the board members on the intricate detail by both artists. 

Gee please if anyone out there met Sam at a convention in the 1980’s please share. Like I said I didn’t start collecting art until 1995 although I had some sketches from SDCC before then. But my first con was SDCC and a Las Vegas Con at the Sahara hotel in Las Vegas.

I never met this guy. What a talent.

This art belongs to Robert Frey. Robert thanks buddy your pal Mike from sunny Southern California aka 🍇+ 🦍

B422A44F-0F4A-41A9-A4D2-3DDF0BA019BF.thumb.jpeg.5c3868335c595f644fc78c5792a764a3.jpeg