• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PayPal Hacked?
2 2

95 posts in this topic

Has anyone recently encountered a rash of PayPal accounts that have had the language in their PayPal account changed to Spanish and then have a pending transaction of $1,000 being transferred from their checking account to their PayPal account?

My fiancé woke up to find this happened to her yesterday. She called Bank of America and they stopped the transaction. My fiancé was however unable to reach anyone by phone at PayPal. The automated message said to use their online message center. Guess what that service was unavailable.

PayPal’s Facebook has a lot comments describing this exact same scenario and no one being able to reach a live person at PayPal. Also, my fiancé posted about it on her Facebook and one of her friends reported the same thing happened to her. Some on Facebook are reporting other languages such as French but most are Spanish. This seems to be happening on a pretty large scale...

30964D0B-8AC6-477C-8063-0DEB7B654264.jpeg

419D9EE5-560A-4A2F-8F5A-3B6376EB0AA9.jpeg

7 minutes ago, romanheart said:

I’ve had an attempted transfer once which was reversed by PayPal. Took a while and nothing happened again after changing my password. PayPal has become increasingly harder to reach and use. I prefer not to use them anymore.

Their customer service is basically nonexistent. I yanked my Checking account from my account for now. It’s just post after post on their Facebook regarding this. 

722CCB0A-94C3-47ED-91BA-7857B3287091.jpeg

Sorry that happened to you. I've always been concerned about giving anyone access to my accounts, so I keep a low minimum balance in the account attached to PP.

Now I'm thinking of just deleting it altogether, so thank you for sharing.

2 hours ago, Mephisto said:

Has anyone recently encountered a rash of PayPal accounts that have had the language in their PayPal account changed to Spanish and then have a pending transaction of $1,000 being transferred from their checking account to their PayPal account?

My fiancé woke up to find this happened to her yesterday. She called Bank of America and they stopped the transaction. My fiancé was however unable to reach anyone by phone at PayPal. The automated message said to use their online message center. Guess what that service was unavailable.

PayPal’s Facebook has a lot comments describing this exact same scenario and no one being able to reach a live person at PayPal. Also, my fiancé posted about it on her Facebook and one of her friends reported the same thing happened to her. Some on Facebook are reporting other languages such as French but most are Spanish. This seems to be happening on a pretty large scale...

30964D0B-8AC6-477C-8063-0DEB7B654264.jpeg

419D9EE5-560A-4A2F-8F5A-3B6376EB0AA9.jpeg

Do you have to "like" the PayPal facebook page to see these posts? I would like to follow this but I don't see any of these posts on their page. And since I don't really like them I don't want to like them

No, but I have always found that public bashing of a company on Twitter and Facebook and tagging them in it gets the fastest response.  When I tried to tell Samsung that my TV caught fire and started melting from the inside out I did not get a response.  (Despite it being common for that model)

Post the pics on FB and Twitter calling them out on it while tagging them or posting it on their official account and you get some action. 

3 hours ago, Mephisto said:

You can get someone on paypal chat fairly easily-wait time is abt 15 min.  I did change my password several times during covid just to be cautious.  
Go to help-help center-contact us-message us

Interesting. 

I know several here, including myself, have been gun-shy about signing up for eBay’s Managed Payments. It seems PayPal May have just made eBay’s most convincing argument for them. 

I guess I’ll be looking into signing up for Managed Payments this afternoon and possible closing my PayPal account. 

18 minutes ago, cms1 said:

I wonder if any of this has to do with the spam emails you get that look real that go phishing for users info or if they have been hacked and not acknowledging it yet.

exactly

22 minutes ago, cms1 said:

I wonder if any of this has to do with the spam emails you get that look real that go phishing for users info or if they have been hacked and not acknowledging it yet.

I know my fiancé didn’t click on any emails. She did mention she got a text form PayPal in Spanish but She deleted the text assuming it was spam. 

She knows better than to click any links in emails...her mom’s boyfriend does that all the time and gets stuff hacked. She only really uses her PayPal because I give her a portion of the rent through it. 

1 hour ago, Buzzetta said:

No, but I have always found that public bashing of a company on Twitter and Facebook and tagging them in it gets the fastest response.  When I tried to tell Samsung that my TV caught fire and started melting from the inside out I did not get a response.  (Despite it being common for that model)

Post the pics on FB and Twitter calling them out on it while tagging them or posting it on their official account and you get some action. 

You might also want to report it to the US Consumer Product Safety Commission at saferproducts.gov

Edited by sleeper13

6 minutes ago, Crimebuster said:

Many years ago, my PayPal was hacked and someone deposited $6500 into my account. 

PayPal caught that one, though!

Since then I added 2-step verification, so every time i try to log into PayPal it sends me a text message with a code number that needs to be entered in addition to my password.

I have two also with text code.

Have you or anyone used an authenticator app before?  That was the other option PP allows for two-step verification.  They suggest the Google or Microsoft authenticator app. 

I have it set so when I go to log into paypal someone comes to my door, checks my ID and watches me log in then enters various codes from his 'football'.