• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PayPal Hacked?
2 2

95 posts in this topic

8 minutes ago, Gaard said:

I use a CC. Never gave them my bank info. I request a check be mailed to me (because I can't transfer to my bank) & it arrives in less than a week.

People are also reporting that if they had a balance in the PayPal account it’s been stolen along with a $1,000 attempted to be transferred from their bank account into the PayPal.

24 minutes ago, Gaard said:

It's not possible that PP hasn't heard about this. Why then, aren't they making some kind of statement? It's our money they have.

They may still be researching the extent of the breach. It’s also a holiday weekend. Plus they are a publiclaly graded company who is way up during Covid and the stock market has not been kind to them the past two days. (They are down nearly $20 a share). Announcement of a breach will lead to a further drop. 

E84A8B3E-CEAF-4955-9470-F3CB68A7D568.jpeg

10 hours ago, Mephisto said:

They may still be researching the extent of the breach. It’s also a holiday weekend. Plus they are a publiclaly graded company who is way up during Covid and the stock market has not been kind to them the past two days. (They are down nearly $20 a share). Announcement of a breach will lead to a further drop. 

E84A8B3E-CEAF-4955-9470-F3CB68A7D568.jpeg

I'm glad you can talk to someone. My 'claim' was just pushed back a week.

Soon be outside the 45 day limit - meaning I have to go to the financial ombudsman as the claim will 'expire'

This is happening to too many peoplr.

Seems like Paypal is in it's death-throws and wants to hang on to as much $$$ as it can.

Ebay leaving was probably the end for Paypal.

Do you have two-step authentication? I'd highly recommend it. A few years back, I did a deal with someone that seemed a bit off. I can't remember why exactly, but the next morning, I just wanted to double-check the payment they had sent. I logged out. As I'm getting ready to drive my kids to school I see a notification that a payment for my entire balance (a significant amount of money) had been sent to someone I didn't authorize or know. I'm a fairly tech savvy person, have AV installed on all my computers, so if any keypad logging happened, it occurred while I was on PayPal's site (and I told them this much). Anyhow, I get on the phone with PayPal, I explain someone cleaned out my account, and they began going down the road of putting the blame on me. I asked the person if he could check the IP log on my account activity within the timeframe this all happened, from the point I first logged-in, to the transfer, and my second attempt to examine what happened. There was no more than a 10 minute gap between all three of these login incidents. I then ask him what the IP location was of the second login (where the transfer was made) and the CS said it is in Spain. I then explained that it would be physically impossible for me to be in location seven thousand miles away in a matter of minutes, and return home in Canada all within 10 minutes. I then asked the person to run a trace on that IP address and all I heard was "oh my - ok sir, I see what you mean, don't worry we will refund you this money." The CS wouldn't tell me, but my impression is this person would have hacked dozens, possibly hundreds of accounts on PayPal's network, and they wouldn't have known anything about it unless I told them to run this check. It was at this time that I explained that no person (particularly in the short time these attacks took place) could act on key-logging that quickly, and that it had to be some vulnerability exposed on their network that was allowing his person to access accounts in this manner. They didn't acknowledge it as an issue, but at that point I was just relieved they returned my money.

Again, I highly recommend the two-step and appreciate the heads-up. I definitely have reason to be concerned with PayPal beyond the balance I keep, since they more recently strongarmed me to provide sensitive personal information or hold my money hostage. I eventually had to relent to the ultimatum, and I know who ordered it, so hearing stuff like this (including my experience) makes me constantly unnerved about a potential privacy breach, and unfortunately PayPal's lax attitude doesn't inspire confidence I'd hear about it from them.

Edited by comicwiz

2 hours ago, Beige said:

I'm glad you can talk to someone. My 'claim' was just pushed back a week.

Soon be outside the 45 day limit - meaning I have to go to the financial ombudsman as the claim will 'expire'

This is happening to too many peoplr.

Seems like Paypal is in it's death-throws and wants to hang on to as much $$$ as it can.

Ebay leaving was probably the end for Paypal.

Actually, Paypal’s Stock price is way up since Covid hit the US, and they had their highest earnings ever in the second quarter of 2020...so they should have the money to hire more people to answer inquiries.

OK, I just got off the phone with TD bank, they have not heard anything, but put a stop on my husband's account so everything but Paypal would go through. My account is separate and only has the $150 in it.

I'm surprised it's not on the news, but maybe I'm not surprised.

I rarely use Paypal, but figured I'd better login and check on how I have it set up.  Sure enough, there were some things I needed to do.  

I changed my password......removed my linked bank account......and then enabled two-step verification.  

That should hopefully minimize a lot of the risk.  And on the very rare occasion that I would need to get money out of my Paypal account, I'll just wait on them to send me a check.

i use paypal a great deal. it's one of the options for my customers to pay through my website when i have sales.

fortunately i did not have this happen to me, but i decided to remove my bank accounts and just link one account that is only used for bank wires, so its got a low balance.

i had trouble removing bank accounts. after repeated messaging w paypal employees over two days, they finally called me and we did it over the phone. not ideal customer service, but at least they handled it. 

for those of us who sell online, not taking paypal is a bad idea. many customers like to pay that way. i take credit cards through stripe, and i also take paypal. more people use stripe, but about 30-40% of my customers use paypal.

This is one of the things I like about these boards; people (like the OP) who take the time and effort to warn others about potential problems.

I am thankful for those who take the time to warn others about potential fraud, stolen books, poor eBay buyers and sellers, and a host of other things (even how to properly store books).

It is a shame there are so many things one must be cautious of in this world and in this hobby, however, by standing together and helping (sometimes warning) each other, I believe we can make a difference.

Thank you to the OP @Mephisto and others for making this a safer place and a better community.

You have my sincere gratitude.

Resolution of my complaint has now been pushed back again - now to 15th Sept.

No comms from paypal, no way to contact them.

Phones go direct to voicemail

No live chat

Messaging not answered

The on-site pay-pal community board is awash with the same complaints:

No way to contact them

Random account freezing

Money 'on-hold' with no way to access it

In Australia and New Zealand paypal currently appears to be automated fully.

I have withdrawn all $$, am moving to managed payments when ebay here starts it in Nov/Dec and will be using my CC for all purchases to get bank protection.

Meanwhile the CEO withdraws yet more $$ by selling more shares.

I have a very bad feeling about paypal

What other alternatives do you guys use for international funds transfers?

Edited by Beige

So this doesn’t help you but my fiancé was finally able to close her PayPal account. They sent her a message stating they removed her bank account because a transferred failed. No mess, the bank put a stop on the fraudulent transfer as PayPal had no customer service reps. Since there was no more pending action she was able to close it. She posted on their FB that had closed her account now that the transfer failed and her bank account could be removed. They thanked her for reporting her problem had been resolved...

I don’t know who in their right might is pushing PayPal shares to the moon but with their service I predict serious butt hurt down the road for investors after seeing what I have in the last week.

My fiancé really only ever used her account in the last year for when I would transfer money to her for rent.

We found our banks use Zelle quick and easy transfers so PayPal will be getting cut out. I’ll also be sure to try and just use direct CC payments on websites instead of through PayPal.