• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Will a Press get this Defenders #1 9.4 to a 9.6?
1 1

19 posts in this topic

I bought this with the hopes of getting it to a 9.6 but will be content with it at a 9.4.  There are some spine ticks but most don't break color with the exception's of the ones by the top staple (front cover).  The right corners (front covers) are a little concerning.  The top front cover looks like a press would help.  The back looks OK for the most part with the exceptions of the corners which I'm not sure if a press would help.  Thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

IMG_6425.jpeg

IMG_1676.jpeg

IMG_7005.jpeg

IMG_7627.jpeg

IMG_5365.jpeg

IMG_0214.jpeg

IMG_1799.jpeg

IMG_8303.jpeg

IMG_2034.jpeg

IMG_6156.jpeg

IMG_0916.jpeg

Edited by Xenosmilus

1 hour ago, William-James88 said:

The court breaks are your  biggest  issue here and a press won't help them. Pretty sure this book would come back 9.2 if sent in today.

Yeah, I thought so.  I took a gamble on it and lost.  The corners were not apparent on eBay. I liked the centering and that it was an old label so I took the gamble.  Live and learn I guess.

4 hours ago, Xenosmilus said:

Yeah, I thought so.  I took a gamble on it and lost.  The corners were not apparent on eBay. I liked the centering and that it was an old label so I took the gamble.  Live and learn I guess.

Look no further for your answer than the bottom left corner. The fraying, stressing and flaking. That alone should disqualify it from pressing to a 9.6, in fact, as has aleady astutely been pointed out, maybe even disqualify it from another 9.4 finding. 

This is a good example of all old label slabbed books not automatically being a great pressing candidate for a bump/ You always see sellers highlighting, "OLD LABEL... PRESS IT!!"", or some such language of touting the old label as a key selling point. Many old label CGC books have remained as originally slabbed because they are quite simply not good pressing candidates. This is one of those. 

4 hours ago, Xenosmilus said:

I wouldn't call this a loss. Your purchase made it to the GPA, so you paid fair market value. You could always sell it for the same price. 

1 minute ago, William-James88 said:

I wouldn't call this a loss. Your purchase made it to the GPA, so you paid fair market value. You could always sell it for the same price. 

Always bear in mind that whether you sell on ebay, or consign through an auction house, there is a cost of selling involved. Sell for the same amount? You do not break even. You lose 10 to 15% on average. 

2 minutes ago, James J Johnson said:

Look no further for your answer than the bottom left corner. The fraying, stressing and flaking. That alone should disqualify it from pressing to a 9.6, in fact, as has aleady astutely been pointed out, maybe even disqualify it from another 9.4 finding. 

This is a good example of all old label slabbed books not automatically being a great pressing candidate for a bump/ You always see sellers highlighting, "OLD LABEL... PRESS IT!!"", or some such language of touting the old label as a key selling point. Many old label CGC books have remained as originally slabbed because they are quite simply not good pressing candidates. This is one of those. 

Also, as stated  elsewhere today, cgc had different standards then so grading may not be as strict for certain defects (like light staining). So the pros and cons of old labels end up cancelling out. 

52 minutes ago, James J Johnson said:

Always bear in mind that whether you sell on ebay, or consign through an auction house, there is a cost of selling involved. Sell for the same amount? You do not break even. You lose 10 to 15% on average. 

I know. Forgive me for trying to make the OP feel a bit better  about the whole thing.

6 hours ago, William-James88 said:

Also, as stated  elsewhere today, cgc had different standards then so grading may not be as strict for certain defects (like light staining). So the pros and cons of old labels end up cancelling out. 

That's it. Many approach the original labels with wide-eyed optimism. "Oh boy. Somebody left money on the table by not resubbing this after a c&p" And with the fervor in which old label slabs are touted by sellers and hunted by buyers, what I seem to see most of the time, if given a good look with large, clear scans of high resolution, are books that were allowed to remain old-label slabbed because there wasn't any room for improvement. 

Edited by James J Johnson

5 hours ago, William-James88 said:

I know. Forgive me for trying to make the OP feel a bit better  about the whole thing.

Well, that's the fact of life when it comes to selling. There's a cost of doing business. On ebay, using paypal, it's about 14%,  on Comic Link it's only 10%, on Heritage, it's as high as 19% (correct me if I'm wrong). So say you spent $500 on a book and you decide to resell it. On ebay, you would have to sell it for $581 to break even. I understand trying to smooth the OP's ruffled feathers, but it's probably best to mention, "anything less than $581 and you don't break even", or those feathers will quickly ruffle again if he sells it for $500 and then sees that he netted $430. a $70 loss.

Edited by James J Johnson

To be clear, my intent was always to keep the book regardless of it having any pressing potential.  It would have been a nice bonus if I could have gotten it pressed and gotten the grade to a 9.6 though.  I am a little bummed that most think (including me now) that it's probably not even a 9.4 but most likely a 9.0 or 9.2. with no pressing potential. :tonofbricks:

3 hours ago, Xenosmilus said:

To be clear, my intent was always to keep the book regardless of it having any pressing potential.  It would have been a nice bonus if I could have gotten it pressed and gotten the grade to a 9.6 though.  I am a little bummed that most think (including me now) that it's probably not even a 9.4 but most likely a 9.0 or 9.2. with no pressing potential. :tonofbricks:

And there's nothing wrong with crack, press, submit, make some coin and come out ahead from a successful press for those thinking that way and availing themselves of CGC's full services and resources. (worship)

Definitely no way. Those spine ticks are color breaking and can't be pressed out. I know it looks kinda like they aren't, but they are. When they are less noticeable you will get a grade back indicating "light spine stress lines to cover."

Given that and the other issues with the book I would bet that it takes a significant hit if you were to crack and regrade it.