• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Help me design my dollar bins

90 posts in this topic

After numerous delays, I've begun inching my way towards opening my retail location.  I've eliminated about 1500 feet to develop my mail order and consignment services, so my comic area is going to be much smaller than my original thoughts.

My plan right now calls for eight long boxes of $1 books. These will range from VG bronze age books thru copper and on to modern books. 

Do you prefer bargain  bins to be semi organized, maybe by company or is half the fun not knowing what is next? I have about 25 short boxes worth of stuff I'd love to move at $1 each, so I plan to rotate the stock. 

How would you feel if the prices were $2 each, three for $5 or 10 for $10.

Do unbagged books in the bargain bins bother you?

I'm sure lots of you have much more  expertise in these matters than I have, so please help me to give my clients the best possible experience.

As a frequent customer to stores and conventions, I do prefer my bargain bins to be sorted by publisher. I don't expect that inventory to necessarily be in alphanumeric order, but some kind of basic organization does help.

Unbagged books mixed in doesn't bother me.

Any kind of quantity discount is always appreciated and may help to move product.

Good luck!

-bc

19 minutes ago, shadroch said:

A bag and a board cost about a dime plus the labor. I'm selling them at 75% off the cost of a new book. Something has to give.

Cheap books or not, unbagged books get mangled when people paw through them.  Find a selling price that works for you and includes the cost of bagging/boarding.

Unless you’re trying to move supplies.  If that’s the case, leave all the books unbagged & charge them a quarter for a bag and board at checkout...and let them bag them themselves.:idea:

Edited by THE_BEYONDER

Please sort them.  If I'm flipping through bins, and see a mini or a run all together, I might be inclined to buy them.  If they're scattered across the boxes, I'll recognize that I've seen them, but I'm not going back to find them.  If they're ordered, I'll check the numbers on my lists.

I don't mind paying $2 for clean moderns, but only bagged and boarded.  If you want more than a dollar, you'd better spend the extra 10 cents on supplies.  Some books should never be more than a dollar, though.  If you're asking $2 each for Arion of Atlantis, 90s Starman, and damaged copies of Classic X-Men, I'm going to stop looking, discount or not.

As a person who visits the used bookstore a lot and them not bagging.... and boarding

If condition is even somewhat something you're wanting to promote?

I know from experience that having a bin that is not jam packed enough and can still be flipped through quickly and easily, that raws are going to be damaged that way without a bag and board. Then you have comics that you can give away but not sell......

This is my personal experience, and kind of just imo, you don't want to keep track of when someone buys these issues just so you can go refill it so that it's not so sparse that there is damage....

A bunch of run-on sentences but hopefully there is clarity lol 

Nothing worse than unsorted, unbagged comics, tossed in long boxes. 

Sort them at least alphabetically.   Don't have to break it down by title or publisher.

Bag and boarded.  Not only will it protect what remains of the current condition, but easier to sort through. 

Buy 10 get 1 free or something along those lines. 

35 minutes ago, shadroch said:

Let me just reinforce that we are talking about dollar bin fodder. My back issue section will be sorted, bagged, boarded and priced.

I have to agree here these are DOLLAR BOOKS.  Not worth extra effort whatsoever.  If I recall correctly the biggest comic shop here does not bag and board their dollar box or sort them.

Organize them.  

When I start flipping through stuff I know I don't want at the Bellmore train station, after the first couple of boxes, I stop looking.  I don't have all day to sort through someone else's disorganization.

Bag and board them.  One thing I learned from Chris of Serious Comics, Joey from Collector's Comics RIP, and Teddy of Stinky's Comics... (all places I believe you are familiar with when they were in business) everything looks nicer in a bag and a board.   Plus, tire kickers won't be able to ruin them over time since a lot of it will be sitting there for awhile. 

Edited by Buzzetta

18 hours ago, shadroch said:

A bag and a board cost about a dime plus the labor. I'm selling them at 75% off the cost of a new book. Something has to give.

i will look throught boxes of unbagged new books. paper stock works well and for that price, i'm ok giving up something for condition.

older books don't do as well so i usually avoid or flip through those boxes.

people don't get how much time (and $ costs) are in bags/boards. if you are selling something cheap, something has to give. I'm with you 100% here. i hate bagging and boarding