• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Help me design my dollar bins

90 posts in this topic

8 minutes ago, THE_BEYONDER said:

Books look better in fresh bags and boards.  Presentation matters....if you actually wanna sell the books.

it does, no doubt, but not for $1 books. Could he sell those $1 books for $2 or $3 probably if he bagged them but I'm reading his post that he wants to move them with the least amount work possible sacrificing profit.

a few years ago i was at a convention that had $1 books in mylars. books were . I picked up some just for the bag and board. I guarantee you that he was losing money on those books.

1 minute ago, THE_BEYONDER said:

Last thing I need are more dollar books .:insane:

So perhaps you aren't the sort I should be getting advice from on dollar books.

I had an issue with a person who used to post here a few years ago. He offered a bunch of booksthat were shown in mylar and I made him an offer that he accepted. The books arrived and they were raw. He said the mylars were never part of the deal.  I said they were the reason I bought half the books. I'd paid about $80 for 50 books and $20 shipping so I wanted to return them. We went back and forth and I suggested we start a thread. He offered me $10. We finally settled when he offered me a bag of mylite2s.  A month or two later, he got into a protracted fight with a few members and pm'd me to please not mention our transaction.  I was debating it when several more guys came in with complaints and the guys wife showed up. 

20 hours ago, shadroch said:

Let me just reinforce that we are talking about dollar bin fodder. My back issue section will be sorted, bagged, boarded and priced.

You don't seem to like the opinions so far, so I'll ask a question: do you want people to grab books in stacks a foot high with quick turnover between customers, or do you want one customer to take an hour to pull one or two books?

20 hours ago, kav said:

I have to agree here these are DOLLAR BOOKS.  Not worth extra effort whatsoever.  If I recall correctly the biggest comic shop here does not bag and board their dollar box or sort them.

My LCS doesn't either. Who has time to alphabetize and bag and board every junky $1 book? With that much effort the minimum price should be $3. 

I'd spend as little time as possible on them. 

4 minutes ago, october said:

My LCS doesn't either. Who has time to alphabetize and bag and board every junky $1 book? With that much effort the minimum price should be $3. 

I'd spend as little time as possible on them. 

Yes i agree with Shadroch on this issue.  People dig thru dollar box hoping to find something.  If they are all in order, no more digging.  You lose the impulse buy.  

1 hour ago, FineCollector said:

You don't seem to like the opinions so far, so I'll ask a question: do you want people to grab books in stacks a foot high with quick turnover between customers, or do you want one customer to take an hour to pull one or two books?

Either type would be fine. My plan calls for large turnover. Replacing the whole section every few weeks. If someone came by and offered me a quarter apiece for all of them, 
I'd be even happier. If they don't produce a couple hundred dollars a month, I will find a more profitable line to take the space. 

I don't know any shop that has their bargain bins organized like some people here think they should be. 

4 minutes ago, shadroch said:

Either type would be fine. My plan calls for large turnover. Replacing the whole section every few weeks. If someone came by and offered me a quarter apiece for all of them, 
I'd be even happier. If they don't produce a couple hundred dollars a month, I will find a more profitable line to take the space. 

I don't know any shop that has their bargain bins organized like some people here think they should be. 

Me either and i know of a very large successful shop.  Dollar bin gets added to and they do not have the time to put into placing all the new drek in proper place and bagging them.

11 hours ago, Buzzetta said:

Organize them.  

When I start flipping through stuff I know I don't want at the Bellmore train station, after the first couple of boxes, I stop looking.  I don't have all day to sort through someone else's disorganization.

Bag and board them.  One thing I learned from Chris of Serious Comics, Joey from Collector's Comics RIP, and Teddy of Stinky's Comics... (all places I believe you are familiar with when they were in business) everything looks nicer in a bag and a board.   Plus, tire kickers won't be able to ruin them over time since a lot of it will be sitting there for awhile. 

A manhandled dollar book is still a dollar book.

8 hours ago, shadroch said:

So perhaps you aren't the sort I should be getting advice from on dollar books.

I had an issue with a person who used to post here a few years ago. He offered a bunch of booksthat were shown in mylar and I made him an offer that he accepted. The books arrived and they were raw. He said the mylars were never part of the deal.  I said they were the reason I bought half the books. I'd paid about $80 for 50 books and $20 shipping so I wanted to return them. We went back and forth and I suggested we start a thread. He offered me $10. We finally settled when he offered me a bag of mylite2s.  A month or two later, he got into a protracted fight with a few members and pm'd me to please not mention our transaction.  I was debating it when several more guys came in with complaints and the guys wife showed up. 

Russ from Comic Supply?

Just now, kav said:

A manhandled dollar book is still a dollar book.

Not true... because a manhandled dollar book is not something attractive.  Sometimes it is not what something 'is' but what it is perceived as.

If I come across a box of beat up newsprint, I am not as drawn to go exploring as if they are neat and presentable.    This is why even dollar stores spend money on employees to clean and organize the shelves.   There is a difference between something that is worth a dollar but looks like it is worth 50 cents and making it presentable and making it look like it is worth $2 even though it is only worth $1.