• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Help me design my dollar bins

90 posts in this topic

1 minute ago, shadroch said:

The first name is right, but I don't remember the company name. He pulled a number of suspect moves but had an excuse for everything.

From Michigan?

2 minutes ago, Buzzetta said:

Not true... because a manhandled dollar book is not something attractive.  Sometimes it is not what something 'is' but what it is perceived as.

If I come across a box of beat up newsprint, I am not as drawn to go exploring as if they are neat and presentable.    This is why even dollar stores spend money on employees to clean and organize the shelves.   There is a difference between something that is worth a dollar but looks like it is worth 50 cents and making it presentable and making it look like it is worth $2 even though it is only worth $1. 

If I have 300 raw books that I'm hoping to get $300 out of, it will cost me $45 and two hours of labor to bag and board. An employee that makes $12 an hour cost me more like $18 all in, so thats $81 in extra cost.  That also assumes that I don't have a dozen or more things the employee could be doing that will result in more income.  So the books are all boarded and bagged and ready to be added in, only now they need to be sorted by company and put in semi-alphabetical order. That's a third of my potential income gone.

One thing I'm thinking about doing with the unbagged books is making bricks of 25 and selling them at a small discount. My town attracts lots of grandparents on vacation and I'm hoping to market the bricks to them.

16 minutes ago, shadroch said:

If I have 300 raw books that I'm hoping to get $300 out of, it will cost me $45 and two hours of labor to bag and board. An employee that makes $12 an hour cost me more like $18 all in, so thats $81 in extra cost.  That also assumes that I don't have a dozen or more things the employee could be doing that will result in more income.  So the books are all boarded and bagged and ready to be added in, only now they need to be sorted by company and put in semi-alphabetical order. That's a third of my potential income gone.

One thing I'm thinking about doing with the unbagged books is making bricks of 25 and selling them at a small discount. My town attracts lots of grandparents on vacation and I'm hoping to market the bricks to them.

The brick thing works... but I stand by what I said... as I unfortunately echo a retail boss I had in college.  If I see that someone doesn't care for something or it looks like trash then why would I want it?  Sure you will get the occasional person to pick something up, but the majority of people want to feel as if they are bringing something home that is of value. I agree with what @jsilverjanet suggested.  Perhaps with new books you can get away with it due to their stronger paperstock.  Older books will get shredded if unbagged and they are allowed to be flipped through. 

9 minutes ago, Buzzetta said:

they are bringing something home that is of value.

I dont think anyone is browsing dollar boxes looking for things of value aside from the occasional Action #1 that may have been put in there.
I also do not recommend slabbing dollar bin books and putting them in the dollar bin.

7 hours ago, kav said:

I dont think anyone is browsing dollar boxes looking for things of value aside from the occasional Action #1 that may have been put in there.
I also do not recommend slabbing dollar bin books and putting them in the dollar bin.

Again... re-read 

And slabbing would be ridiculous.  

I stand by what I said and for the reasons I stated about perception in a retail environment.   You are looking at it from a collectibility or value of a comic perspective.  

so... you do you you... I do me... Shadroch does him... 

Edited by Buzzetta

3 hours ago, Buzzetta said:

Again... re-read 

And slabbing would be ridiculous.  

I stand by what I said and for the reasons I stated about perception in a retail environment.   You are looking at it from a collectibility or value of a comic perspective.  

so... you do you you... I do me... Shadroch does him... 

I'm afraid I never learned to speak hipster. Could you repost this so us geezers can understand it.

10 hours ago, kav said:

People aren't stupid.  When you put wet, damaged, worthless books in a dollar bin, they stagnate.  Successful dollar bins are clearance of books that are worth at least a dollar.

Just now, shadroch said:

I'm afraid I never learned to speak hipster. Could you repost this so us geezers can understand it.

If it looks like garbage, and the store owner treats it like garbage, people are going to think it's garbage.

Just now, shadroch said:

Kav can design his store the way he wants.  I will design my store the way I want.  You are free to consider all of your options and make your own decisions as far as what works for you.   It's not an argument that needs to be made... it is merely suggestions.

But, I don't think you are drawing in comic book collectors, so asking a board full of comic book collectors is kind of a one viewpoint perspective, if you look at it from a common man retail perspective, how many customers are actually bothering to sort through messy shelves versus how many people are willing to give something a glance if it is nice and neat and presentable?  I may very well be wrong, but I worked for Disney and a major retailer during the 90's while in college in basic retail and collectibles and animation art and stuff like that.  Both business models always stressed presentability and perception of value to the customer.  If the customer perceives it to be a value no matter the actual value, they will want to take it home.   

Come to think of it, even when I did a sting at McDonalds they had the same basic message, always make it presentable.

2 minutes ago, Buzzetta said:

Kav can design his store the way he wants.  I will design my store the way I want.  You are free to consider all of your options and make your own decisions as far as what works for you.   It's not an argument that needs to be made... it is merely suggestions.

But, I don't think you are drawing in comic book collectors, so asking a board full of comic book collectors is kind of a one viewpoint perspective, if you look at it from a common man retail perspective, how many customers are actually bothering to sort through messy shelves versus how many people are willing to give something a glance if it is nice and neat and presentable?  I may very well be wrong, but I worked for Disney and a major retailer during the 90's while in college in basic retail and collectibles and animation art and stuff like that.  Both business models always stressed presentability and perception of value to the customer.  If the customer perceives it to be a value no matter the actual value, they will want to take it home.   

Come to think of it, even when I did a sting at McDonalds they had the same basic message, always make it presentable.

This is how I see it.  If the owner doesn’t think the books are worth the time/money to bag & board them, it kinda tells me that it’s not worth my time to look through them.

There’s also the question of what I’m going to do with my picks.  Obviously I’m not going to leave them unbagged.  I suppose a deal where you get free bags and boards with a 50 book purchase or something....

A1 Comics, the largest comic store around, does not bag and board their dollar bin.  If the drek comes in bagged it goes in that way.  They just put whatever drek they get, as it came in, in the boxes with no organization.  I think if that large successful store does it that way its safe for ol shadroch to do likewise.

7 minutes ago, BlowUpTheMoon said:

How did Kav design his store?  Pics?

1.jpg.5f76b10993c1255f16b60cf3dfeef43b.jpg

:roflmao:
I brought my computer there for repair and drew a pic of the owner in gratitude.
Next thing I know he fabricated this review and signed my name to it!!!!!!!!!

-and no I did not have 'years of unpublished comics' on my hard drive that needed 'recovering'.  I needed a new hard drive-the end.

I mean, what is supposed to be the logic or the timeline here?  I got my 'unpublished comics' recovered so this allowed me to finally open a comic store somehow?  Even tho the 'unpublished comics' were there for 'years'?  What was the hold up?  Why didnt I 'open my dream store' years ago with my 'unpublished comics'??  And why did I wait the months or year it took to 'open my store' to finally give Konicom the glowing review??  If my store was a flop, no review?  even tho they did excellent work on my computer??
My buddy who actually does own Big Brother Comics found it highly amusing.  

3 hours ago, kav said:

I mean, what is supposed to be the logic or the timeline here?  I got my 'unpublished comics' recovered so this allowed me to finally open a comic store somehow?  Even tho the 'unpublished comics' were there for 'years'?  What was the hold up?  Why didnt I 'open my dream store' years ago with my 'unpublished comics'??  And why did I wait the months or year it took to 'open my store' to finally give Konicom the glowing review??  If my store was a flop, no review?  even tho they did excellent work on my computer??
My buddy who actually does own Big Brother Comics found it highly amusing.  

Dude, show some gratitude. The guy unstuck your hard drive and now you own a chain of successful comic and collectibles shops across the mid-west!

^^

3 minutes ago, mrwoogieman said:

Dude, show some gratitude. The guy unstuck your hard drive and now you own a chain of successful comic and collectibles shops across the mid-west!

^^

true...

I've bought some stuff from boxes of loose books. I've left a lot more behind that would have been purchased had they not been damaged, coincidentally :eyeroll: in a way that one would expect for loose books.

Not sorting and ordering them is one thing, but letting them get damaged so you'll never sell them is :screwy:

Edited by Lazyboy