• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Need Help From the Experts
1 1

17 posts in this topic

I am out and on my phone - that is a shogun Warrior... when I get some time I will dig up exactly which one...

mattel put those out... I hate them... it’s because of them and battle star galactica toys that we never got a missile firing boba Fett. 

Edited by Buzzetta

2 minutes ago, Buzzetta said:

I am out and on my phone - that is a shogun Warrior... when I get some time I will dig up exactly which one...

mattel put those out... I hate them... it’s because of them and battle star galactica toys that we never got a middle firing boba Fett. 

When BSG came out it was right after Star Wars-there was high excitement abt the show.  Then the stupidity started "Ships are 10 microns away-5-"
The day after premiere my physics teacher came is laffing his spoon off.

Edited by kav

1 hour ago, Conacon said:

Hey guys, bought this today and was hoping one of you recognized it. Flea market guy said he thought maybe Micronauts, but I don't think so. Only identifying mark is "Japan" on the back. Torso is metal. Any thoughts?

20200905_175629.jpg

Here you go...  I was right Shogun Warrios... mini diecast and here is a link. 

https://thetoyarchives.com/blog/mattels-shogun-warriors-the-super-robots/

thats a version of grendizer, from shogun warriors. i am not familiar with this exact version but in japan there were tons of variations. in the large mattel version that were sold here, it was the rarest and is now the most valuable. but this is not that. but its called 'grendizer.'

7 hours ago, bobotski said:

SHogun Warriors UFO Robo Grendizer. Made by Popy of Japan back in the 70s'. DId it come with a UFO (called in the cartoons as 'Spazer'). Nice condition though.

Pretty sure this is a die cast single boxed release.   The scale would indicate the 3.5" size. 

18 hours ago, Buzzetta said:

mattel put those out... I hate them... it’s because of them and battle star galactica toys that we never got a missile firing boba Fett. 

Wish I still had my missle-firing Battlestar toys.:frown:

3 hours ago, THE_BEYONDER said:

Wish I still had my missle-firing Battlestar toys.:frown:

"You'll shoot your eye out kid." 

Yeah I know... not the same thing... but it's related 

59 minutes ago, Buzzetta said:

"You'll shoot your eye out kid." 

Yeah I know... not the same thing... but it's related 

Boba Fett and Battlestar Galactica - The Firing Missile Crisis
Written by Chris Georgoulias chris@theswca.com 
Updated August 5, 2019

Since 1979, toy discussions the world over have ensued regarding the removed rocket-firing feature of Kenner's Boba Fett action figure. And the urban legend is true - it was the death of a child who was asphyxiated by a Mattel Battlestar Galactica missile that triggered the historic change. However, up to that point, Kenner had worked dilligently in an attempt to make their toy safe for children.

Mattel's troubles with the Battlestar Galactica toys came to light on December 8, 1978 when the Consumer Products Safety Commission (CPSC - whose standards are given the force of law by Congress) announced that there had been 3 formal reports (and 4 more under investigation) of children inhaling or swallowing the toy missiles. Although the toys passed then-current safety regulations, Mattel agreed to put warning stickers on existing warehouse inventories. This was the first public acknowledgement of a safety concern with the Battlestar Galactica toys. Then on December 25, 1978, 4 year old Robert Jeffrey Warren was playing with a Mattel Cylon Raider when the missile discharged into his mouth and got stuck in his larynx. He was asphyxiated and his brain robbed of oxygen for an extended time. After the missile was removed he spent days in the hospital, but the damage had already been done and his brain no longer functioned. Just a toddler, Robert Jeffrey Warren died on December 31, 1978.

On January 11, 1979 news of the death was coupled with an announcement from the CPSC that Mattel was instituting a missile recall program. Newspaper announcements in 10 major cities carried the message urging parents to either dispose of the missiles or mail them back to Mattel in exchange for a Hot Wheels car. Other newspapers relayed the story in addition to it being reported on NBC's Today Show, but many believe the recall should have had much more publicity. Of course by this time parents had actually been writing Mattel to inquire about replacements for the easily lost missiles given that 2 million of the toys had been sold since their debut in August 1978. Because of the critical nature of the situation, not only would the requests for more missiles go unfulfilled but the toys would be redesigned for 1979 so that the missiles could no longer leave the firing chamber.

C9C59E2A-9D20-4A76-8BC1-0DAA38F4799E.jpeg