• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

BIN Prices are getting out of hand on eBay
1 1

45 posts in this topic

36 minutes ago, seredynskib said:

This topic is kind of a double edged sword.

Buyers tend to benefit when bidding on books starting at $0.99 because they usually end up selling for well below GPA due to a lack of bidders and/or knowledge buyers.

As a seller, you want at least GPA, so starting at $0.99 won’t benefit the seller. However, I’ve also noticed that no matter what price I list my comics at for BIN, potential buyers ALWAYS message me with an “offer.” Even when “send an offer” isn’t an option. Some offers are laughable (50% or more off BIN/way below GPA), while others are within reason. Ebay has become a negotiation tool for selling comics in my experience and most of my sales come from reasonable negotiations.

I’m guilty of this sometimes 😂. But it’s usually because they are asking way too much and I’ll phrase it as “if it doesn’t sell I’d be a buyer at...”

On 9/8/2020 at 2:50 PM, shadroch said:

If you are going to list a few dozen ebay BINs, why not ship them to MCS and let them do the heavy lifting.  You save the paypal fee and the hassle of packing and shipping the books?

This is what I do.  The main issue is that the books need to be worth enough to make the minimum fees of MCS worth it.  They have a minimum of $7 on raw books, so Ebay becomes more attractive fee-wise for the inexpensive books. 

1 hour ago, Hamlet said:

This is what I do.  The main issue is that the books need to be worth enough to make the minimum fees of MCS worth it.  They have a minimum of $7 on raw books, so Ebay becomes more attractive fee-wise for the inexpensive books. 

Wow - $7 minimum?  So a book valued at less then $60 is better on E-Bay.  Good to know.

2 hours ago, 1Cool said:

Wow - $7 minimum?  So a book valued at less then $60 is better on E-Bay.  Good to know.

It depends on how much you value offloading the work to MCS.  I generally am not willing to sell on EBay.  I’m not interested in scanning books, listing them, shipping them individually and then dealing with complaints, grading disputes, returns, and the inevitable scammers you will find buying on Ebay.  I also would never be selling enough to get the kind of following needed on Ebay to get good prices on raw books.

I’m not willing to deal with the hassle of selling on Ebay at this point in my life.  However, shipping a stack of books to MCS so that they can scan, grade, and handle all of the work of selling is something I’ve been willing to do.

The drawbacks are that it takes them a couple of weeks to get them up on their site, and the $7 minimum is a decent chunk of the cheaper books.  However, to me that beats having to do the work of selling on EBay.

I mainly sell on eBay, I put stuff as a BIN at GPA, stuff flies out the door, Once my inventory stops selling has basically come to a halt, I run 0.99 cent auctions and it lands where it lands, I usually end up auctioning off the duds that I get (i.e modern 9.4/9.6) By that time comes, I've already made my money. 

Edited by Kevin76