• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Superman's cape S-they couldnt decide I guess.

18 posts in this topic

13 minutes ago, Ken Aldred said:

These details always evolve.

Just like the length of the ears on Wolverine’s mask.  Or Batman’s.

evolve is one thing but they went back and forth and changed the cape S in the early issues-the front S evolved and stayed that way until the next change.

Edited by kav

1 minute ago, Qalyar said:

Maybe he just owns more than one cape? It has to be boring to be a superhero, doomed to a single fashion ensemble for eternity.

True Ma Kent had to keep busy somehow.

On 9/5/2020 at 8:06 PM, kav said:

evolve is one thing but they went back and forth and changed the cape S in the early issues-the front S evolved and stayed that way until the next change.

Why does everyone think he only owns one suit?

21 minutes ago, shadroch said:

True.

You’d guess that even back on Krypton fashions changed, including House logo designs.

Edited by Ken Aldred

21 minutes ago, shadroch said:

Just now, Ken Aldred said:

True.

You’d guess that even on Krypton fashions change, including House logo designs.

If he has various suits in the above cape pics and he switches em around then he sucks at branding.

I think it just depends who drew it or maybe just whatever mood the artist was in because looking at all Superman covers on every title from the 40s and 50s it is not constant at all. Sometimes the S is there, sometimes not. When it is there sometimes it is all yellow, sometimes blue and yellow, sometimes red and yellow. sometimes red and blue. I don't think anyone cared and I doubt there was some master model sheet or anything anyone followed. Speaking of that, in the 1940-43 Fleischer animated shorts there is no S on his cape at all not on the model sheets either.

On 9/7/2020 at 1:29 PM, kav said:

If he has various suits in the above cape pics and he switches em around then he sucks at branding.

Or he's a marketing genius!   Think of all the variants of capes he could sell to all the kiddos.

Look at the real world.  Slap on a variation to some collectible and you've just doubled your sales.

2 minutes ago, masterlogan2000 said:

Or he's a marketing genius!   Think of all the variants of capes he could sell to all the kiddos.

Look at the real world.  Slap on a variation to some collectible and you've just doubled your sales.

My god look what marketing can do-an entire world where everyone wears capes-or GETS ENSLAVED.
The Crank File: Jimmy Olsen and the Planet of the Capes! | Chris's  Invincible Super-Blog

18 minutes ago, Erndog said:

Maybe it's like soccer where they have a new "kit" each season as, basically, a cash grab.

Maybe Superman just wanted to sell merch?

True.  Could be like McDojos sellin belts.  They came up with brillaint ca$h grab when they added 'degrees'.  Instead of just green belt you get green belt, one stripe green, 2 stripes, 3 stripes.  
More $$$