• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is this for real?
1 1

20 posts in this topic

Hey....you can make any offer, however

”do not make any offer that are not worthy of art.”

Hahahahaha hahahaha haha!!!!

At least throw in a Conan wielding an axe against the evil witch. Or Loki trying on the Ruby Red slippers. Yeesh !!!!!

Hard pass for ol 🍇+🦍

Yes the Shadowhawk auction is mine (not the Wizard of Oz but that is a cool page). 

I just have to say that in the 3 months I’ve owned the art there is still a lot of love for Shadowhawk. One dozen offers became two dozen, higher and higher. I’m not sure if it’s the historical significance or the attention the character got with the Nintendo lawsuit.

I’ve decided to put it out there and see what happens. Worse case, it goes back into my collection until Image’s 30th anniversary. 

2 hours ago, Carl Elvis said:

Yes the Shadowhawk auction is mine (not the Wizard of Oz but that is a cool page). 

I just have to say that in the 3 months I’ve owned the art there is still a lot of love for Shadowhawk. One dozen offers became two dozen, higher and higher. I’m not sure if it’s the historical significance or the attention the character got with the Nintendo lawsuit.

I’ve decided to put it out there and see what happens. Worse case, it goes back into my collection until Image’s 30th anniversary. 

Hey man Carl I hope you get your number. :wishluck:

15 hours ago, Carl Elvis said:

I meant no disrespect but was just dumbfounded by the starting price. I hope you get what you are looking for, is it really close to 10K or is that just a super best case scenario? I just got to know.

2 minutes ago, INKREDIBLE BULK said:

I meant no disrespect but was just dumbfounded by the starting price. I hope you get what you are looking for, is it really close to 10K or is that just a super best case scenario? I just got to know.

No worries, I’ve pointed out auctions myself that I thought were high. The BuyItNow is best case, about double the highest offer so far.

I do get the nostalgia draw to the page, I remember picking this book off the shelf as a teen. In a few of the offers I had received before the auction, the collectors mentioned that they collect early Image art. I didn’t know that was a niche of the hobby but apparently it is.

21 hours ago, Carl Elvis said:

What lawsuit? Googling didn't bring up anything.

1 hour ago, Twanj said:

What lawsuit? Googling didn't bring up anything.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cbr.com/jim-valentino-files-lawsuit-over-shadowhawk-video-game/amp/

Try searching “Shadowhawk SNES” or “Shadowhawk Rose Colored”. This company released a cartridge of a prototype SNES game and Valentino sued them for millions. About 30 copies were sold and I have to admit the packaging looks pretty cool.

B0A0AA34-BBE8-4061-85D4-D8CD39310CEA.jpeg.1facf2f51b58bdbdd2bc5ab39c96b44d.jpeg

DCC4FC8C-C600-462C-8CE6-655535EBF985.jpeg.e90a405f7e889d8389769838dec11a9f.jpeg

31 minutes ago, ESeffinga said:

The folks that ripped off Nintendo and Valentino both deserve to burn.

Doesn’t make that page worth 1 penny more, IMO.

I was just throwing it out there as a theory as to why younger collectors (under 30) would even know about this character let alone offer to pay thousands for a page. 

I was watching Comicartfans Live tonight on YouTube a little while ago and it turns out BOTH of these pieces were featured as sold on ebay. It may seem crazy to us sometimes what a seller asks for, but it just goes to show that we all have different tastes, beauty is in the eye of the beholder, one man's trash is anoth...you get the point!

Hmmm...but did they sell? It looks like the Oz piece is relisted for cheaper: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Rare-John-Buscema-Original-Art-The-Wizard-of-Oz-the-Wicked-Witch-of-the-West/224167198998?hash=item3431680116:g:ggwAAOSwd39fU0lK

@Carl Elvis, did yours sell or was that an error with CAF's data? If you did, congratulations!

3 hours ago, BuraddoRun said:

I was watching Comicartfans Live tonight on YouTube a little while ago and it turns out BOTH of these pieces were featured as sold on ebay. It may seem crazy to us sometimes what a seller asks for, but it just goes to show that we all have different tastes, beauty is in the eye of the beholder, one man's trash is anoth...you get the point!

Hmmm...but did they sell? It looks like the Oz piece is relisted for cheaper: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Rare-John-Buscema-Original-Art-The-Wizard-of-Oz-the-Wicked-Witch-of-the-West/224167198998?hash=item3431680116:g:ggwAAOSwd39fU0lK

@Carl Elvis, did yours sell or was that an error with CAF's data? If you did, congratulations!

Wow really? I’ve been watching the older episodes all week. Can’t wait to check it out.

Thanks, yes the page has found the right home and the hobby will probably never see it again.

On 9/7/2020 at 10:34 AM, Carl Elvis said:

I was just throwing it out there as a theory as to why younger collectors (under 30) would even know about this character let alone offer to pay thousands for a page. 

I’m active in the game art market.   No one cares.   They want game art not comic art with a game association.    Same as comic book buyers primarily want art from comic projects not game projects with a comic crossover.  

Edited by Bronty

1 hour ago, Bronty said:

I’m active in the game art market.   No one cares.   They want game art not comic art with a game association.

Most know I've been around for a while ( ;) ), I've seen a lot of good ideas on paper fail in the marketplace. People want what they want, it's pretty hard to distract them from that, especially if the average collector profile is of a limited budget. Anyway, I learned a long time ago, as a seller/flipper, it's much easier and more profitable to work on identifying the best inventory sources of already or soon to be "in demand" items than try to buy off-brand cheap and then try to upsell it into the market. You'll sell some, sure, but not what you'd expect on paper.