• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What's the record for stupid questions around here?
2 2

6 posts in this topic

I didn't know where else to post this question.

I started selling figurines and books in late May of this year. At some point of time after this date, I had another board member tell me that s/he wanted to buy my copy of Amazing Fantasy Omnibus. S/he hasn't paid for it yet. S/he asked me to hold on to it until the US/Canada border opened up again. S/he usually has books shipped to a town near the Canada border, and then drives across the border to pick them up, with the intention of saving money on postage. I thought that this was not an unreasonable request, so I agreed. I still have the book sitting on my desk.

Here's the problem. I went through each one of my messages from the present until late 2019. And for the life of me, I was not able to find the message about my copy of Amazing Fantasy Omnibus. I tried searching my messages, but, as most of us know, the CGC search function leaves much to be desired.

Can people delete their messages? I don't know, as I have never had any reason to do that. Regardless, I need some way to contact this individual to confirm that s/he still wants to buy this book. I don't know when the US/Canada border will open, but my guess is it will be quite some time. I thought about posting a message on the Golden/Silver/Bronze Age Only thread, but I'm sure it would be removed, as the content of the message would not involve selling.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to proceed? Normally, this would led me to "pull my hair out", but since I have so little anymore, I have given that up.

Any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Edited by Joe Ankenbauer

52 minutes ago, Glassman10 said:

I could be wrong but I don't think it's to save money on postage". I think ( and I could be wrong) it's to evade customs fees. 

Normally, the law prohibits you from doing indirectly what it prohibits doing directly. 

There could be a number of reasons:

1.  Saving $ on postage.  Postage from US to Canada is expensive.  If S/He is a large volume conductor of business this could be significant savings.

2.  Having a US mailing address.  There are a lot of sellers on eBay, for example, that won't ship to addresses outside of the Continental US.  This would solve that problem.

3.   ...and avoidance of duty - although the person would have to declare the value of these goods at the border. Also possibly to avoid ridiculous hidden end fees with eBay's Global Shipping Program.

On 9/6/2020 at 2:38 PM, Joe Ankenbauer said:

I didn't know where else to post this question.

I started selling figurines and books in late May of this year. At some point of time after this date, I had another board member tell me that s/he wanted to buy my copy of Amazing Fantasy Omnibus. S/he hasn't paid for it yet. S/he asked me to hold on to it until the US/Canada border opened up again. S/he usually has books shipped to a town near the Canada border, and then drives across the border to pick them up, with the intention of saving money on postage. I thought that this was not an unreasonable request, so I agreed. I still have the book sitting on my desk.

Here's the problem. I went through each one of my messages from the present until late 2019. And for the life of me, I was not able to find the message about my copy of Amazing Fantasy Omnibus. I tried searching my messages, but, as most of us know, the CGC search function leaves much to be desired.

Can people delete their messages? I don't know, as I have never had any reason to do that. Regardless, I need some way to contact this individual to confirm that s/he still wants to buy this book. I don't know when the US/Canada border will open, but my guess is it will be quite some time. I thought about posting a message on the Golden/Silver/Bronze Age Only thread, but I'm sure it would be removed, as the content of the message would not involve selling.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to proceed? Normally, this would led me to "pull my hair out", but since I have so little anymore, I have given that up.

Any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

I know before the board software migration, one could remove themselves from a PM conversation but it would not delete it unless you did it.   There is an option for you to delete the conversation but I doubt that deletes it for the other party(s).

A couple of suggestions:

Post in the General Discussion Thread (in the Sales Section) since it is at least in the sales area if the person you are thinking happens to see it.

Or, post the book in the actual sales section with a really high ask price and be sure to meet the other requirements of the sales venue.  Explain in the thread as you have done so here and hope that person steps forward (I would think too you could put in the title something like looking for a boardie and the books deets. I wouldn't bump it but let it ride and if no answer, close it down.  (You have not broken any rules and I don't think anyone would hump a button on it)

And, you could put it in the announcement thread as well.

I don't collect the Omnibuses but would that listing not go in one of the other threads since it is was not published during the GA/SA/BA era?  I know it contains SA material so I am not sure how that is accepted.

The forum alert thread for that era does state - "Post here if you have a sale in the misc forum that contains forum Golden / Bronze / Silver age books and you want a mention here."  I assume this can be construed in various ways.