• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Are the days of hyper masculine movies over?
4 4

50 posts in this topic

Movies like Conan, Commando, Enter The Dragon etc would most likely never be made today like the originals.  I've noticed that a lot of the larger than life super masculine guys in the movies now (like The Rock most notably) always seen to have a comedic side to their characters so as not to be hyper masculine.  Movies like The Expendiables are over the top action packed and bloody but still there is a comedic side to all the characters so they don't come ascross as too threating. Maybe I'm forgetting any recent movies but I wish they'd make just make a really awesome hyper masculine movie again. There have been rumors for years that Arnold was going to make a King Conan movie that continues from the first movie but I fear if it does come to fruition that it would be horribly wimpy.

8 minutes ago, Xenosmilus said:

I'm forgetting any recent movies but I wish they'd make just make a really awesome hyper masculine movie again.

You forgot John Wick parts 1, 2, 3 and you are right that action packed Jason Statham movies also inject comedy lines. My buddy hates all these pro-women movies (Ms Marvel) and TV series (Terminator: Sarah Connor Chronicles, Batwoman). Guess he wants series more balanced btwn the sexes like 'Children of Dune' TV. Also more good female directors now like Chloe Zhao on the 'Eternals' in which I hope they refer to Gobekli Tepe in Turkey to link them to humankind's pre-history.

2 minutes ago, aardvark88 said:

You forgot John Wick parts 1, 2, 3 and you are right that action packed Jason Statham movies also inject comedy lines. My buddy hates all these pro-women movies (Ms Marvel) and TV series (Terminator: Sarah Connor Chronicles, Batwoman). Guess he wants series more balanced btwn the sexes like 'Children of Dune' TV. Also more good female directors now like Chloe Zhao on the 'Eternals' in which I hope they refer to Gobekli Tepe in Turkey to link them to humankind's pre-history.

Yeah, I forgot about John Wick.  I do remember liking Children of Dune but it's been so long since I've seen that I forgot it. I did look for it a few years back but it wasn't streaming anywhere and only on DVD.  I need to look into that again.

With rare exception, society's taste for seriousness (except for "woke" ideas) in movies is waning it seems.

John Wick is notable for being an exception in action-movies lately. 

Strong men are almost always goofballs and strong women act like roided-up men. There is almost no in-between unless it's to drive home a PC story.

Hollywood both reflects and shapes culture.

And get off my lawn!

On 9/7/2020 at 6:15 PM, Grails said:

Doubt we will see more characters like Snake Plisskin again. Seeing a lot of men both real and fictional losing their balls and getting in touch with their feminine side is pretty much whatever to me. 

"Snaaake Plisskin - I heard of you... I heard you were dead."

The past 10 years we've had John Wick, Jack Reacher, The Expendables, that new Universal Soldier movie, the Captain America movies, Batman v Superman, Mission Impossible, The Fast and the Furious franchise, anything with Vin Diesel, the Taken movies, Dredd, Quentin Tarantino movies like Hateful Eight or Once Upon a Time in Hollywood, Daniel Craig's James Bond movies, just to name those that come to mind. Just because there are more quality action movies with a diverse cast doesn't mean Hollywood has forgotten about muscle junkies.

Personally I'd really love to see more ensemble action movies. As "meh" as all the Expendables movies were, they were pretty fun because of the cast. I feel the same way about the Fast and the Furious franchises now as well. Its the ensemble cast that really makes a big action movie feel pretty fun. 

1 hour ago, @therealsilvermane said:

The past 10 years we've had John Wick, Jack Reacher, The Expendables, that new Universal Soldier movie, the Captain America movies, Batman v Superman, Mission Impossible, The Fast and the Furious franchise, anything with Vin Diesel, the Taken movies, Dredd, Quentin Tarantino movies like Hateful Eight or Once Upon a Time in Hollywood, Daniel Craig's James Bond movies, just to name those that come to mind. Just because there are more quality action movies with a diverse cast doesn't mean Hollywood has forgotten about muscle junkies.

You missed what I said in my original post, that they add a level of comedy to the male action hero’s to make them less hyper masculine and more relatable.

They are not 4 quadrant movies and take a higher budget that see lesser returns since you won't be buying tickets for the rest of your family.  There are a lot of them on Netflix - 6 Underground, Extraction, Triple Frontier, Spectral, Revenger, Spenser Confidential and The Night Comes for Us just to name a few.  You will also find a lot more with direct to video releases with Bruce Willis, Nic Cage, Steven Seagal, Scott Adkins, etc.    

2 minutes ago, Xenosmilus said:

You missed what I said in my original post, that they add a level of comedy to the male action hero’s to make them less hyper masculine and more relatable.

I don't recall John Wick, Liam Neeson, Steve Rogers, Zack Snyder's Batman or Superman, Judge Dredd, or Daniel Craig being humorous at all.

I mean, the majority of the MCU movies are funny for sure, but it's more entertaining.

On 9/7/2020 at 12:07 PM, Xenosmilus said:

Movies like Conan, Commando, Enter The Dragon etc would most likely never be made today like the originals.  I've noticed that a lot of the larger than life super masculine guys in the movies now (like The Rock most notably) always seen to have a comedic side to their characters so as not to be hyper masculine.  Movies like The Expendiables are over the top action packed and bloody but still there is a comedic side to all the characters so they don't come ascross as too threating. Maybe I'm forgetting any recent movies but I wish they'd make just make a really awesome hyper masculine movie again. There have been rumors for years that Arnold was going to make a King Conan movie that continues from the first movie but I fear if it does come to fruition that it would be horribly wimpy.

I would consider Thanos to be "hyper-masculine". If you look at Infinity War a whole, though, yes there is a lot of good humor.

What about BvS? Both Batman and Superman are hyper-masculine IMO. Or are we excluding "super" characters like Thanos and Superman who are other-worldly?

On 9/9/2020 at 7:30 PM, @therealsilvermane said:

I don't recall John Wick, Liam Neeson, Steve Rogers, Zack Snyder's Batman or Superman, Judge Dredd, or Daniel Craig being humorous at all.

I mean, the majority of the MCU movies are funny for sure, but it's more entertaining.

In your opinion.

1 hour ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

In your opinion.

Not necessarily my opinion. I can enjoy a humorless testosterone laden action movie as much as anyone, like James Cameron's Avatar, for example, or Dark Knight, to a degree. I'm saying action movies with humor are generally more entertaining for a wider audience resulting in better box office numbers a lot of the time. If  you look at the evolution of Thor in the MCU, it seems more people prefer a humorous Thor (Ragnarok, Endgame) over a dull serious Thor (Thor Dark World).

3 minutes ago, @therealsilvermane said:

Not necessarily my opinion. I can enjoy a humorless testosterone laden action movie as much as anyone, like James Cameron's Avatar, for example, or Dark Knight, to a degree. I'm saying action movies with humor are generally more entertaining for a wider audience resulting in better box office numbers a lot of the time. If  you look at the evolution of Thor in the MCU, it seems more people prefer a humorous Thor (Ragnarok, Endgame) over a dull serious Thor (Thor Dark World).

"More entertaining" is purely subjective. Factually, it's your opinion.

16 minutes ago, @therealsilvermane said:

If  you look at the evolution of Thor in the MCU, it seems more people prefer a humorous Thor (Ragnarok, Endgame) over a dull serious Thor (Thor Dark World).

I agree on Thor but Ragnarok was just a better movie overall. Thor having humor works there. Kids loved it. I thought the forced eye-rolling humor seemed annoying in the opening but I still ended up really enjoying the movie. The God of Thunder shouldn’t take himself too seriously. But that wouldn’t have worked in a movie more grounded in reality like The Dark Knight. I never thought that I wished I had a laugh or two after seeing it. Marvels PG-13 comedy works as a formula for the masses. Getting the most butts in the seats through the age groups. I really don’t want that for DC but dollars usually win out at the end of the day. Aquaman and Shazam looks like DC trying out Marvels formula to bring in better box office. Appeal to a wider audience. Maybe I’m wrong and I hope I am. I just prefer a more Nolanesque hero. Those days may be over and we’ll probably get more of this.

CDBF9203-6817-4E28-AC77-F8B67E68C2C5.jpeg