• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Are the days of hyper masculine movies over?
4 4

50 posts in this topic

On 9/11/2020 at 8:16 PM, Old_Man_Adam said:

I joined the US Army for two reasons 

1) GI Joe

2) Predator 

I am active duty Army currently and I was really disappointed that the drill sergeants didn't swear at us and hit us in the chest like in the movies. The first time they called someone hero, warrior and/or joker I laughed and drew their "wrath" but it was largely forgettable.

Ranger school was more difficult but they still weren't allowed to swear at us and this was in 2006.

AbsoluteDishonestJay-max-1mb.gif

2 hours ago, PickleRick1216 said:

I am active duty Army currently and I was really disappointed that the drill sergeants didn't swear at us and hit us in the chest like in the movies. The first time they called someone hero, warrior and/or joker I laughed and drew their "wrath" but it was largely forgettable.

Ranger school was more difficult but they still weren't allowed to swear at us and this was in 2006.

When I was in Army basic back in 1989 every now and again the DI's would let a swear word drop.  When that happened another DI would step in and take over for a bit.  It was NOTHING like FMJ.

3 hours ago, PickleRick1216 said:

I need to rewatch this Kubrick classic!

3 hours ago, media_junkie said:

When I was in Army basic back in 1989 every now and again the DI's would let a swear word drop.  When that happened another DI would step in and take over for a bit.  It was NOTHING like FMJ.

Was it different back in the 60’s do you think?

Edited by Xenosmilus

2 hours ago, Xenosmilus said:

Was it different back in the 60’s do you think?

I went to Marine Boot Camp in 1989 and left convinced my mother never should have given birth to me. I was informed of this often. Swearing was SOP then. Beatings were not. Public beatings that is. We got pushed around a little outdoors but the rare beatings occurred in the shower room. That was usually reserved for sarcasm. If the DI detected a hint of sarcasm from one of us, we were ordered to report to the shower room. I went once but luckily the other guy screwed up worse than me and got the brunt of it. No punches, but we were thrown to the hard shower room floor repeatedly and snatched up by our belt and drug and flung around. For some reason I was good with this as I knew I deserved it. I lost my bearing. I paid for it and moved on. I’m sure there would be lawsuits if this occurred today. 

40 minutes ago, Grails said:

I went to Marine Boot Camp in 1989 and left convinced my mother never should have given birth to me. I was informed of this often. Swearing was SOP then. Beatings were not. Public beatings that is. We got pushed around a little outdoors but the rare beatings occurred in the shower room. That was usually reserved for sarcasm. If the DI detected a hint of sarcasm from one of us, we were ordered to report to the shower room. I went once but luckily the other guy screwed up worse than me and got the brunt of it. No punches, but we were thrown to the hard shower room floor repeatedly and snatched up by our belt and drug and flung around. For some reason I was good with this as I knew I deserved it. I lost my bearing. I paid for it and moved on. I’m sure there would be lawsuits if this occurred today. 

I would have never made it :roflmao:

54 minutes ago, Xenosmilus said:

@PickleRick1216 did you train at all at MT Yonah as a Ranger? That’s where I learned to climb and I know the Rangers trained there.

Yes on Mt. Yonah. I think we did repelling and mountain rescue training there.

There are three phases of Ranger school. The first is at Camp Darby in Fort Benning where you learn the principles of patrolling and then you move to north Georgia for mountain phase in the Dahlonega region. Next you do an airborne jump from Georgia into Eglin Air Force Base in the panhandle region of Florida for jungle phase.

I was amazed that nobody got bitten by snakes or gators with all of the swamp movements that we did. We did have several people injured from lightning strikes and heat injuries though. They had to shut down training one day because they ran out of ambulances from evacuating heat injuries.

hard target snake.gif

4 hours ago, PickleRick1216 said:

Next you do an airborne jump from Georgia into Eglin Air Force Base in the panhandle region of Florida for jungle phase.

I was amazed that nobody got bitten by snakes or gators with all of the swamp movements that we did. We did have several people injured from lightning strikes and heat injuries though. They had to shut down training one day because they ran out of ambulances from evacuating heat injuries.

hard target snake.gif

You jumped right into my back yard. I have lived here most of my life. I am in those woods and swamps all the time. Travel up the Yellow River and by Buck Pond often. It is surprising how often the nakes and gators actually avoid people, and that there are not more injuries.  I definitely could see both the lightning and heat causing those problems here. The weather here can be brutal .

Always see the training runs as well as the nightly bombings, and the flares for the night war games. Half the time when they fly over its low enough for me to high five the pilots if I were standing on my roof.

Edited by onlyweaknesskryptonite