• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Artist’s Process
1 1

19 posts in this topic

There was an interesting conversation in the blue lines vs blue scans thread about some modern artists, and how they produce their work. The discussion was going over digital work vs hybrid digital and pen/ink work, and it occurred to me that there might be an interest in having a broader discussion on various artist’s processes, so let’s see if that’s the case. Oh, and not just for modern comic artists, but for all time periods.

I will start it off, but I’d like this to be open to everyone, so it won’t just be me going through all the artist’s processes. Also, I don’t know them, so that thread would totally suck.

So, do you have a favorite artist that you’re knowledgeable about? Are you a professional in the comic industry? Are you an artist yourself? Please, feel free to share. If you’d like to talk about general artistic practices from different time periods, or how an artist’s process has evolved over time (ty, Vodou), I think that’d be appreciated, too. 

Edited by Latverian Tourism Board

21 minutes ago, Latverian Tourism Board said:

a broader discussion on various artist’s processes

Great idea, will be informative to many. One huge caveat: we're talking artists here so they can and do change things up a little or a lot at any time, nothing is set in stone, "how it's done" today has zero bearing on yesterday or tomorrow...per se ;)

Just now, vodou said:

Great idea, will be informative to many. One huge caveat: we're talking artists here so they can and do change things up a little or a lot at any time, nothing is set in stone, "how it's done" today has zero bearing on yesterday or tomorrow...per se ;)

Fantastic point. Showing artists evolution would be great, imo. I’m going to add that to the first post.

Howard Chaykin uses an unusual process these days on his independent books. He draws the main figures on separate panels, generally having assistants do the backgrounds, and then assembles the panels as pages in Photoshop. My understanding is that he is not allowed to engage in panel assembly like this on his DC or Marvel book work.

Frankly, I'm not thrilled with that process. He could be very creative in his panel designs, and using the Photoshop approach can severely limit this. I spoke to him about it, and he understood (he also seemed to miss adding them), but he pointed out that this method is quicker, and for artists, there are business considerations (time is money).

He remains one of my favorites.

11 hours ago, Rick2you2 said:

Howard Chaykin uses an unusual process these days on his independent books. He draws the main figures on separate panels, generally having assistants do the backgrounds, and then assembles the panels as pages in Photoshop. My understanding is that he is not allowed to engage in panel assembly like this on his DC or Marvel book work.

Frankly, I'm not thrilled with that process. He could be very creative in his panel designs, and using the Photoshop approach can severely limit this. I spoke to him about it, and he understood (he also seemed to miss adding them), but he pointed out that this method is quicker, and for artists, there are business considerations (time is money).

He remains one of my favorites.

That is a very unusual process. Obviously, it speeds everything up, and get him more pay, but I’d imagine it kills OA resale value. I wonder how much it bothers comic artists when they have to settle on making the art they want to make a few more $.

I dig Chaykin’s work, too. Thanks for sharing.

14 minutes ago, Latverian Tourism Board said:

That is a very unusual process. Obviously, it speeds everything up, and get him more pay, but I’d imagine it kills OA resale value. I wonder how much it bothers comic artists when they have to settle on making the art they want to make a few more $.

These were about $50-100 each. Sometimes, even I need a break from the caped guy. I gave them to my better half, who promptly had them framed for the bedroom.

Chaykinpanels.thumb.jpg.6d839eaff18b3eeef0c714fd7f28d55f.jpg

Edited by Rick2you2

23 minutes ago, Latverian Tourism Board said:

Ordinarily, I am not a fan of gore. But, Howard had this piece for sale at one show, and when I saw that first panel, I grabbed it.

ChaykinCityofTomorrow.thumb.jpg.fc7a3e38c0160f68cda0bb6f33309c70.jpg

Here's a Legion Threeboot page that puzzles me a little bit as to its process. First, Barry Kitson's "pencils" are really more of an ink layout:

0JN8cQ6.jpg?1

Here are Mick Gray's finished inks. I don't see printed blue lines underneath, so I'm not sure exactly how he was working off of Kitson's layout.

2fmhYDM.jpg?1

Then the other puzzler is this Kitson version, which is on onionskin at the final comic book size. How was it produced (freehand or lightboxed), and what is its purpose? To see how the blacks look at the final size?

aCnI8Mq.jpg?1

17 hours ago, RBerman said:

Here's a Legion Threeboot page that puzzles me a little bit as to its process. First, Barry Kitson's "pencils" are really more of an ink layout:

0JN8cQ6.jpg?1

Here are Mick Gray's finished inks. I don't see printed blue lines underneath, so I'm not sure exactly how he was working off of Kitson's layout.

2fmhYDM.jpg?1

Then the other puzzler is this Kitson version, which is on onionskin at the final comic book size. How was it produced (freehand or lightboxed), and what is its purpose? To see how the blacks look at the final size?

aCnI8Mq.jpg?1

That is puzzling. My guess would be lightbox, unless you see whiteout in panel two. Otherwise, what happened to the blackened gap between the teeth as the smile was changed? That could explain how all three were made. Cool pages, too.

20 hours ago, RBerman said:

0JN8cQ6.jpg?1

2fmhYDM.jpg?1

aCnI8Mq.jpg?1

Are you sure the pencils aren’t just a prelim? Some artists do pretty detailed ones.

27 minutes ago, Rick2you2 said:

Are you sure the pencils aren’t just a prelim? Some artists do pretty detailed ones.

It's possible. I don't see any pencils (or blueline printout) on Gray's final inked page, but perhaps the ink just covers the pencils completely. I have the previous page in the book, which had a pencil (prelim?) version separate from the ink page as well.

wqkvitg.thumb.jpg.538a3f7a9201c1007f532510e2ce5463.jpg

vCn05VL.jpg.d45ae9588b488830e567ef310ff16b1e.jpg

On 9/11/2020 at 1:03 PM, Blastaar said:

I was able to get some feedback on types of blue line and the process itself from the great Sean Parsons!...

Thanks for sharing this fantastic insight. I love this thread! It's not often talked about, but the blueline process introduces a lot of variability. Here's what comes to mind:

• The scan of the original pencils (or digital)
  • The cleanup of pencils by the inker
  • The specific opacity and blue value by the inker sent to print, and how the printer actually interprets these
  • The quality of printer the inker has. Some inkers send their prints off to a local printer for a higher quality and consistency.
  • The printer ink levels and print quality settings
  • The type of paper the inker has at their disposal. Some 11x17 printers can't handle thicker boards. Some inkers print the blue pencils and blue page lines on the back of "official" company boards. From what I've seen, very few print on the front side with the existing blueline due to alignment issues with a printer. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

It was nice that the traditional pencil and ink method simplified things quite a bit, because it was typically on an official company board. 

Edited by PixelPusher

I recently got a piece by Ryan Stegman in, and I noticed that there was blueline print underneath the pencil and inks that looked like rough layouts. I asked Felix and he confirmed that typically, Ryan does a basic layout on his tablet. Then he'll print that out, do the detailed pencils, and finally ink it. We talked about this type of blueline in the other topic I realize, so it's funny I got a piece that was done like this not long after. My pics aren't great, and the blue is very light, but you can see the blue roughs underneath.

1.jpg

IMG_20200922_223259853.jpg

IMG_20200922_223315259.jpg

8 hours ago, BuraddoRun said:

I recently got a piece by Ryan Stegman in, and I noticed that there was blueline print underneath the pencil and inks that looked like rough layouts. I asked Felix and he confirmed that typically, Ryan does a basic layout on his tablet. Then he'll print that out, do the detailed pencils, and finally ink it. We talked about this type of blueline in the other topic I realize, so it's funny I got a piece that was done like this not long after. My pics aren't great, and the blue is very light, but you can see the blue roughs underneath.

This route is becoming much more common nowadays, especially for those who aren't completely digital.

Makes sense, as it seems much more convenient, as well as efficient, to play around with layouts, poses etc without having to go back and erase or whatever

Edited by awayne83

It's not just the time it takes to go back and erase and redraw. Erasing can destroy the surface of the paper. Just ask an inker like Scott how erasing effects the smoothness (or tooth) of a paper finish and how that effects ink going down.

Same goes with correction fluids or using white gouache, etc. They'll take the ink different than a fresh sheet. Depending on an inker's line, and how delicate the work at hand is, it can make a pretty big difference in how the final product comes out. Not having to contend with surface imperfections is probably a godsend for many. Especially when it means not having to deal with a heavy handed penciller who erases too much, and doubly so when that penciller is yourself. :)

Edited by ESeffinga