• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CGC adding on shipping charges... from Fall 2019?
2 2

110 posts in this topic

Anybody else experiencing this? Two submissions in a row now CGC has added on additional freight charges from old invoices that were already paid in full. 

I called in to accounting in July wondering why I had all these additional charges on a recent submission, and they explained shipping rates had gone up and I was being charged for the balance owing on submissions from March 2020. I was told then that I would be all caught up on back charges. 

Fast forward to this week, and I send in a batch of 25 moderns. This time I am being assessed additional freight charges of nearly $200 on 4 invoices from October and November 2019. Again, every invoice was already paid in full. I do not carry outstanding debts. This is CGC backcharging on 10 month old shipments. Call me crazy, but that's pretty screwed up, especially when not 5 weeks ago I was told there would be no more back charges. In what other industry can you claim you undercharged someone 10 months ago and come back to just bill people without notice?

I called in again and was pretty much told by accounting to pound sand. 

13 minutes ago, slowdowntubby said:

Anybody else experiencing this? Two submissions in a row now CGC has added on additional freight charges from old invoices that were already paid in full. 

I called in to accounting in July wondering why I had all these additional charges on a recent submission, and they explained shipping rates had gone up and I was being charged for the balance owing on submissions from March 2020. I was told then that I would be all caught up on back charges. 

Fast forward to this week, and I send in a batch of 25 moderns. This time I am being assessed additional freight charges of nearly $200 on 4 invoices from October and November 2019. Again, every invoice was already paid in full. I do not carry outstanding debts. This is CGC backcharging on 10 month old shipments. Call me crazy, but that's pretty screwed up, especially when not 5 weeks ago I was told there would be no more back charges. In what other industry can you claim you undercharged someone 10 months ago and come back to just bill people without notice?

You are not crazy. That is screwed up.

15 minutes ago, slowdowntubby said:

this cannot be legal. i would certainly contest it with my credit card company and tell cgc to go #@%& themselves.

44 minutes ago, slowdowntubby said:

Where do you see these extra fees? Did you receive a bill by e-mail or in physical mail?

If you paid by credit card, then call your credit card company and say that people are fraudulently charging your card. You did not agree to these charges.

43 minutes ago, slowdowntubby said:

I was just charged for additional shipping, even though they are supposed to use my personal FedEx account. For some reason it wasn’t shipped under my account. I verified with FedEx that it wasn’t charged to me.

Still sucks that it happened though...

59 minutes ago, slowdowntubby said:

I made a post about this for UPS -

Guess it applies to FedEx as well.

I noticed the extra $10.23 (something around there) on a CC invoice and immediately called to see what it was.  It was the "added cost" for shipping on an already paid in full signing.  CGC needs to get their site updated with the new costs.  Hiding the updated fees and not disclosing then just surprising people with the charges on the next invoice is pretty low imo.  $200 though, I would be pretty furious for sure.

Oh I recently had some of those too.  I guess it’s good to know what they are, but I’m also curious how it costs $40 for FedEx to ship me a 4 pound box??? Seems off.  For the Cates/Stegman signing it added on $20.16 or something to the $20 I already paid CGC. 

2 hours ago, jlrangers21 said:

Oh I recently had some of those too.  I guess it’s good to know what they are, but I’m also curious how it costs $40 for FedEx to ship me a 4 pound box??? Seems off.  For the Cates/Stegman signing it added on $20.16 or something to the $20 I already paid CGC. 

What accounting told me is that UPS had renegotiated the rates and it is whatever the rate is at that time that they charge you the overage.  Which I find it convenient since someone else on another social media platform was complaining about this very topic last month and he was not anywhere near where I was and his "overage" fee was exactly the same as mine for a different signing at a different time/date.  It really sounds like they have just not updated the Submission page to reflect the new prices.

14 minutes ago, Crops068 said:

What accounting told me is that UPS had renegotiated the rates and it is whatever the rate is at that time that they charge you the overage.  Which I find it convenient since someone else on another social media platform was complaining about this very topic last month and he was not anywhere near where I was and his "overage" fee was exactly the same as mine for a different signing at a different time/date.  It really sounds like they have just not updated the Submission page to reflect the new prices.

Seems like shipping should be based off, I don’t know, actual cost and not what UPS tells them is a good flat rate.  Also, the submissions page really needs to be updated then.  That all being said, I’m glad I know now so I can adjust and combine orders better. 

4 minutes ago, jlrangers21 said:

Seems like shipping should be based off, I don’t know, actual cost and not what UPS tells them is a good flat rate.  Also, the submissions page really needs to be updated then.  That all being said, I’m glad I know now so I can adjust and combine orders better. 

It absolutely should be based on actual cost not a guestimate.  The sheer amount of shipping CGC does gives them a discount and it sounds like that discount is not as good anymore, granted the world is in a shipping frenzy right now so everything is crazy.

This has been happening to me since the February with CGC. 

I was also told a few months ago that we were caught up. Then it started happening again until I shut off the CC I use for CGC. Now they have to contact me and explain why they're billing me extra for an Invoice that was completed months earlier.

The weird thing is, this never happened before 2020. Not once.

CGC could be merely trying to pass on late charges received from service providers.  CGC boxes aren't generally heavy or as dense as most goods shipped, the volumetric weight or dimensional weight of their shipments likely exceeds the actual weight.   Some courier companies clean up and reconcile missed charges after the fact and it's possible the provider is late in doing so due to volume.  Further speculation is that a renegotiated contract took effect that changed their billing dynamic in an unanticipated way or a freight audit revealed their published rates didn't cover their costs. 

Edited by bababooey

18 minutes ago, bababooey said:

CGC could be merely trying to pass on late charges received from service providers.  CGC boxes aren't generally heavy or as dense as most goods shipped, the volumetric weight or dimensional weight of their shipments likely exceeds the actual weight.   Some courier companies clean up and reconcile missed charges after the fact and it's possible the provider is late in doing so due to volume.  Further speculation is that a renegotiated contract took effect that changed their billing dynamic in an unanticipated way or a freight audit revealed their published rates didn't cover their costs. 

Being that I have a UPS I think it is very easy to reverse engineer what you should be paying for a package.  I normally ship UPS ground,  I cover the insurance.  I know the box dimensions and the general weight of the boxes as they come in.

Should be easy to figure out if they are in the ballpark or not.

This sounds like a CGC problem they are passing the buck on. I would seriously consider disputing with my CC if it happened to me. I wonder if anyone ever received a credit if they figure out they charged too much? 

22 hours ago, William-James88 said:

Where do you see these extra fees? Did you receive a bill by e-mail or in physical mail?

If you paid by credit card, then call your credit card company and say that people are fraudulently charging your card. You did not agree to these charges.

CGC just ran a charge through on my mastercard for $602.52 for a submission of 25 moderns. 

25 x $16 = $400
$5 handling fee
$197.52 in "adjusted" charges from October and November 2019 invoices

I had to call in to get that breakdown. No notice was sent. All I see is the $602.52 charge on my online banking. The invoices I do have, from 2019, clearly list the shipping charges I agreed to and already paid. 

To me this is cut and dried fraud. The woman on the phone yesterday (Brenda? Barbara?), who was pretty rude frankly, said sometimes they get adjusted charges from the shipper up to a month after they are billed, which they in turn have to pass on to me. When I pointed out these bills were from 10 months ago, not last month, she just doubled down on saying they have no choice but to bill me.

21 minutes ago, slowdowntubby said:

CGC just ran a charge through on my mastercard for $602.52 for a submission of 25 moderns. 

25 x $16 = $400
$5 handling fee

I had to call in to get that breakdown. No notice was sent. All I see is the $602.52 charge on my online banking. The invoices I do have, from 2019, clearly list the shipping charges I agreed to and already paid. 

To me this is cut and dried fraud. The woman on the phone yesterday (Brenda? Barbara?), who was pretty rude frankly, said sometimes they get adjusted charges from the shipper up to a month after they are billed, which they in turn have to pass on to me. When I pointed out these bills were from 10 months ago, not last month, she just doubled down on saying they have no choice but to bill me.

It really sucks that it has to come to this, but there seems to be no choice but to contact your credit card company. They are abusing the trust you gave with giving your Credit Card by charging your card amounts that you did not agree to and you don't even have a bill for. Don't know the impact that will have on your relationship with CGC but you might have to go through another dealer to send in your stuff after this. 

11 minutes ago, William-James88 said:
35 minutes ago, slowdowntubby said:

25 x $16 = $400
$5 handling fee

It really sucks that it has to come to this, but there seems to be no choice but to contact your credit card company. They are abusing the trust you gave with giving your Credit Card by charging your card amounts that you did not agree to and you don't even have a bill for. Don't know the impact that will have on your relationship with CGC but you might have to go through another dealer to send in your stuff after this. 

@Brittany M. I'm sure there is a simple solution, but to find it or any word about it would help :) :foryou: 

I had the same happen to me this summer. I got charged an extra $40 on a submission for books that had shipped 6 months ago. Customer Service told me that shipping price must've gone up so they charge you the extra later... Even over 6 months later. It's one of the reasons I've slowed down on getting books graded.

56 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

@Brittany M. I'm sure there is a simple solution, but to find it or any word about it would help :) :foryou: 

I've sent in an email asking for a detailed reporting of the charges on my account, with matching invoices, going back to October 2019. Honestly at this point there are so many extra charges for freight I'm having a hard time matching them all up. I ship submissions in for my customers. These aren't even my books!

I know as a business owner it would be immoral and more than likely illegal to go back and charge my customer additional fees, without their consent, 10 months after providing them a service for which we had already agreed to a price. It's frankly insane.