• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CGC adding on shipping charges... from Fall 2019?
2 2

110 posts in this topic

Just now, slowdowntubby said:

I've sent in an email asking for a detailed reporting of the charges on my account, with matching invoices, going back to October 2019. Honestly at this point there are so many extra charges for freight I'm having a hard time matching them all up. I ship submissions in for my customers. These aren't even my books!

I know as a business owner it would be immoral and more than likely illegal to go back and charge my customer additional fees, without their consent, 10 months after providing them a service for which we had already agreed to a price. It's frankly insane.

Ya I just don't want to say too much until I here the other side of the story, but it would seem that it's so farfetched, meaning someone in "accounting" thought this was a good idea? that it wouldn't be noticed without questions or a broader answer? 

It really is just bewilderment how it came to be and that it still is, or at least on my part, I'm not sure how it was deemed with a go ahead.......

Just now, ADAMANTIUM said:

Is this only happening to international shipments?

That's why I posted here, trying to find out whether I'm the only one or if this is widespread.

I know a lot of people don't even bother reconciling their charges on their credit cards with the invoices. Especially if you are a high volume submitter, you get so many charges, all at different dates, sometimes clumped together, sometimes not, it can be incredibly difficult to stay on top of it all. Luckily I am OCD about my accounting. This isn't the first time CGC has added "adjusted" charges for freight for me. One time in the past, they straight up double charged me for shipping "in error", I noticed, and they refunded the amount. This is very different unfortunately.

Shipping for Canada used to be a flat $90 USD for 25 books. Now I have no idea what it is. 

1 hour ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

That is a silly question when you know I had it added to my shipment and I am not international, even though Texas does what to be its own country. lol

6 minutes ago, Crops068 said:
1 hour ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

That is a silly question when you know I had it added to my shipment and I am not international, even though Texas does what to be its own country. lol

lol that and I didn't want to throw you under the bus by saying it was in States too, cause the customer rep I spoke to said that it shouldn't affect usa .... err too much or they think before switching me over to accounting...

and accounting couldn't give me an estimate of re charges or adjustments either, just that it would be under $30 for one book! ONE BOOK Under $30?

......... I mean, they also said the prices we print out and mail with our books are

"just estimates"

no where onsite does it say that ......... i don't know what to do but wait for an official response, :wishluck: this isn't much of an answer ....... :( 

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

2 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

lol that and I didn't want to throw you under the bus by saying it was in States too, cause the customer rep I spoke to said that it shouldn't affect usa .... err too much or they think before switching me over to accounting...

and accounting couldn't give me an estimate of re charges or adjustments either, just that it would be under $30 for one book! ONE BOOK Under $30?

......... I mean, they also said the prices we print out and mail with our books are

"just estimates"

no where onsite does it say that ......... i don't know what to do but wait for an official response, :wishluck: this isn't much of an answer ....... :( 

So I have 2 big issues with this -

1. That they are now estimating what they have not said is an estimate.  The Submission form, that I can see, does not specify that the shipping charges are an estimation.  It states UPS is $14, FedEx is $14 and USPS is $32.  And the only differences between the three is preference for UPS/FedEx and insurance for USPS.

So if UPS and FedEx are now going up to near matching prices without the insurance, CGC should make that overly clear.  This is no longer cost effective for smaller submissions at all.  And there is no telling what the cost will inflate for larger submissions.  The old $2 extra a book goes flying out the window there.

2. They are doing it very sneakily by adding it to your next invoice without any notice.  This is a bad practice, they should have reached out and notified everyone about this.  A friend of mine used to charge a flat fee for a service and when it was more they ate the cost and less they kept it.  The government came after them for overcharging and they had to pay everyone back what they owed them.  When they asked about the overcharging, they were told "oh well".  Honestly until CGC puts it somewhere in writing, this should be an "oh well" on them.

Suddenly non-shop owners will be less inclined to submit, like myself.  As I don't want to fork out the same amount 3 times, once to ship to, once for grading and once for shipping back unless that can be rolled into the value of the item.  And let alone someone that doesn't sell anything, like myself.

2 minutes ago, Crops068 said:

So I have 2 big issues with this -

1. That they are now estimating what they have not said is an estimate.  The Submission form, that I can see, does not specify that the shipping charges are an estimation.  It states UPS is $14, FedEx is $14 and USPS is $32.  And the only differences between the three is preference for UPS/FedEx and insurance for USPS.

So if UPS and FedEx are now going up to near matching prices without the insurance, CGC should make that overly clear.  This is no longer cost effective for smaller submissions at all.  And there is no telling what the cost will inflate for larger submissions.  The old $2 extra a book goes flying out the window there.

2. They are doing it very sneakily by adding it to your next invoice without any notice.  This is a bad practice, they should have reached out and notified everyone about this.  A friend of mine used to charge a flat fee for a service and when it was more they ate the cost and less they kept it.  The government came after them for overcharging and they had to pay everyone back what they owed them.  When they asked about the overcharging, they were told "oh well".  Honestly until CGC puts it somewhere in writing, this should be an "oh well" on them.

Suddenly non-shop owners will be less inclined to submit, like myself.  As I don't want to fork out the same amount 3 times, once to ship to, once for grading and once for shipping back unless that can be rolled into the value of the item.  And let alone someone that doesn't sell anything, like myself.

That makes sense....

Is it ok to tag Brittany like I did :shy: I hope this hasn't been answered somewhere before and I'm just missing it, too many here still searching for answers so idk, patience is hard when people are being charge. I want to send in for a signing but now don't know if my credit will cover it, because I didn't know in advance @dena

I mean I sent them in June, and to my knowledge I haven't been double charged

BUT everyone else has or on THEIR NEXT SUBMISSION

And I want to send in for the signing for Campbell and books are due at the end of this month, I have the forms printed out

But now I don't know what I'll be charged lol I mean, hope my check doesn't bounce...... :( 

35 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

Since it hasn't happened yet......

@Buzzetta Will you pay for my popcorn? :x

Aside from the McFarlane signing where I sent in 3, the most I usually send in are ten books at a time. 

Just now, Buzzetta said:

Aside from the McFarlane signing where I sent in 3, the most I usually send in are ten books at a time. 

Still I thought you might know something about accounting and/or business to know if this was a normal kind of thing, being charged extra on shipping from orders that are completed 10 months or more ago :wishluck: 

It would be a sad state of affairs if no one around here still submits to CGC........ or maybe it's awareness, there have been 3 threads now and crickets.

This sounds like belly aching lol but dang am I disappointed :( and don't know how to respond. This has happened since at least July and just....... crickets...... :cry: 

On 9/8/2020 at 11:08 AM, slowdowntubby said:

Anybody else experiencing this? Two submissions in a row now CGC has added on additional freight charges from old invoices that were already paid in full. 

I called in to accounting in July wondering why I had all these additional charges on a recent submission, and they explained shipping rates had gone up and I was being charged for the balance owing on submissions from March 2020. I was told then that I would be all caught up on back charges. 

Fast forward to this week, and I send in a batch of 25 moderns. This time I am being assessed additional freight charges of nearly $200 on 4 invoices from October and November 2019. Again, every invoice was already paid in full. I do not carry outstanding debts. This is CGC backcharging on 10 month old shipments. Call me crazy, but that's pretty screwed up, especially when not 5 weeks ago I was told there would be no more back charges. In what other industry can you claim you undercharged someone 10 months ago and come back to just bill people without notice?

I called in again and was pretty much told by accounting to pound sand. 

Stupid question.  With TATs the way they are, when did the books SHIP to you from these October/November invoices?

4 minutes ago, Top City Comics said:

So CGC is essentially stonewalling/blowing off everyone who has attempted to get answers for how this is legitimate?

lol(shrug) 3 threads spreaded over months and no real answer........... I have no clue what is the answer

19 minutes ago, Top City Comics said:

So CGC is essentially stonewalling/blowing off everyone who has attempted to get answers for how this is legitimate?

Pretty much.

Answer was "this is the overage for shipping that we are passing off to you".  The only want to change it is to have your own account through UPS/FedEx/USPS and hope for a decent rate (and that they actually use it).