• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CGC adding on shipping charges... from Fall 2019?
2 2

110 posts in this topic

4 minutes ago, Crops068 said:

Pretty much.

Answer was "this is the overage for shipping that we are passing off to you".  The only want to change it is to have your own account through UPS/FedEx/USPS and hope for a decent rate (and that they actually use it).

I haven't explored that, is that a viable option? 

Just now, Crops068 said:

It is an option, viable, that I am uncertain.

ya, I'm sure CGC had a great rate, if that's changed then (shrug) 

let me just say there "could have been advance warning"? surely, right?

I was greatful for the lowish shipping and, since I've been here, CGC rates have also gone up across the board.

It happens, just unfortunate to not have it upfront. Even now as I call, I get errr ummm surely :( 

Today of all days they "may have their hands full" with the dylan thing...

I'll link it for posterity

For disclosure purposes.  I have a UPS account.  When I have my books shipped back to me they are charging my UPS account on file so I may not be the right person to comment on this.

If there were any adjustments to my account they would have been generated by UPS adjusting a dimension of package fee or CGC underweighing the package.  I do not have any CGC generated UPS adjustments to billing statements.

That being said one recommendation from me is to get your own UPS account.  Not that hard to do.  

Eliminates CGC estimated shipping costs, adjustments etc.  If you have Collector's insurance your shipments from CGC are covered under your own insurance.  One advantage to having it.  

1 hour ago, jaybuck43 said:

Stupid question.  With TATs the way they are, when did the books SHIP to you from these October/November invoices?

Hard to say. Sometime before March 2020 for sure, as my business was closed from March to May for COVID and I didn't receive squat in that time period. They don't show up in my dashboard anymore as the submissions are over 8 months old. I have the order numbers from the original submission invoices, but you can only look up by submission number on anything over 8 months. I've asked CGC to provide me with the submission numbers and corresponding charges but await their response. I'm not holding my breath.

As others have said, I would be ok with the shipping charges if I knew up front what they are. That way I can accurately charge my customers who are submitting through me and they can make the decision whether they want to submit or not.

As is, when CGC dips back into my pocket on 10 month old subs, I am now providing a service that benefits everyone except me. If I passed on these extra charges to my customers, as CGC has done to me, I'd be drowning in 1 star Google reviews and VISA chargebacks. I guess I'll wait a day or so to see if CGC even responds to my inquiries, then I have no choice but to file the chargeback myself. 

1 minute ago, slowdowntubby said:

As others have said, I would be ok with the shipping charges if I knew up front what they are. That way I can accurately charge my customers who are submitting through me and they can make the decision whether they want to submit or not.

As is, when CGC dips back into my pocket on 10 month old subs, I am now providing a service that benefits everyone except me. If I passed on these extra charges to my customers, as CGC has done to me, I'd be drowning in 1 star Google reviews and VISA chargebacks. I guess I'll wait a day or so to see if CGC even responds to my inquiries, then I have no choice but to file the chargeback myself. 

Are you suggesting that charging your customers extra ten months after they settled with you is not a good idea?  People are so picky these days. 

3 minutes ago, slowdowntubby said:

As someone who had never submitted on their own, always through a friend or a store I agree. I would be way more inclined to send off a shipment if I know the total cost of what I was sending in. There's too many what if's and variables especially with the exchange rate as too how much it'll cost me at the end of the day. 

9 minutes ago, ThatNerdyCanuck said:
14 minutes ago, slowdowntubby said:

As someone who had never submitted on their own, always through a friend or a store I agree. I would be way more inclined to send off a shipment if I know the total cost of what I was sending in. There's too many what if's and variables especially with the exchange rate as too how much it'll cost me at the end of the day. 

And even now if we want to send in knowing there will be extra cost, we dont know what they "charged last time" that they'll "add to the new submission " even if they've already "adjusted", oh is that all of the adjustments? Who knows!

And if they're not keeping record well enough to tell you before charging 10 month old transactions, nor ready to show you that the charges "adjusted do apply to you" and quickly, how am I to trust their records as @blazingbob may have alluded to, as he doesnt have any "adjustments"..... is that a summarization?

I dont want to accuse but it "sounds" emphasis on sounds like someone in "accounting" is always being referred to by cgc and not coming up with "real answers" in a way that now this thread should explode! I don't want to say that anyone is lining their pockets but that is the perception, right?

2 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

And even now if we want to send in knowing there will be extra cost, we dont know what they "charged last time" that they'll "add to the new submission " even if they've already "adjusted", oh is that all of the adjustments? Who knows!

And if they're not keeping record well enough to tell you before charging 10 month old transactions, nor ready to show you that the charges "adjusted do apply to you" and quickly, how am I to trust their records as @blazingbob may have alluded to, as he doesnt have any "adjustments"..... is that a summarization?

I dont want to accuse but it "sounds" emphasis on sounds like someone in "accounting" is always being referred to by cgc and not coming up with "real answers" in a way that now this thread should explode! I don't want to say that anyone is lining their pockets but that is the perception, right?

Again,  as I stated you probably would not be getting any adjustments if you had your own UPS account instead of having CGC billing you for shipping.  Or FEDEX if you prefer.  

Let me reiterate that I dont want to be the one that is inflammatory, but I need to send in, am on a limited budget, am in the grouping of haven't been double charged to my knowledge main thing, and may be charged "next time"

I have no reason to doubt cgc usually, I have no reason to doubt current boardies reports, I called for answers and didn't get them

I'm venting and trying to be courgil but may be failing flailing etc hahaha:roflmao:

It could be that these base rates are just an estimate and I'm being silly

Hopefully I'm not too off base and can be informed by an administrator, but it DOES look like I'm not the only one, so hope I'm not too off putting

2 minutes ago, wombat said:

I would be very interesting to hear from someone who is disputing the charges and if CGC would then block them from sending in more books. 

But that's the thing, it doesnt sound that wide spread or this would be a hotter topic.... in my opinion

It sounds too selective 

Just now, ADAMANTIUM said:

But that's the thing, it doesnt sound that wide spread or this would be a hotter topic.... in my opinion

It sounds too selective 

I don't care if they forgot to charge shipping at all. It is 100% unacceptable to charge someone ten months later. For anything. Suck it up and fix whatever process is broken in your company and do better. The big FU to customers is not even alerting them first.