• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

In Praise of Single Pages
6 6

230 posts in this topic

There are a lot of posts about single pages scattered across the boards, but I have found no thread dedicated to them. That makes the hunt for these posts a bit problematic.  

I myself have talked about my belief that as keys grow more expensive, people will more and more resort to the collecting of single pages.

But there’s another dimension to the pursuit of single pages. Even for those lucky enough to own a key book, it’s usually going to be slabbed and therefore impossible to see the interior. In order to enjoy the book, maybe we satisfy ourselves with a reprint. 

personally, I find the collection of single pages to be another way to bring a slabbed key to life.

So, let this thread be safe haven for those of us who possess single pages. Let’s see your single pages.

ill start . . .

5DE59F87-F339-4885-B934-C4A9F1116D6E.jpeg

149B49B3-93F9-4F03-9D53-64509E14F53F.jpeg

04184D5D-58C9-47E6-B73D-F0D9E692B414.jpeg

8670380D-728F-4BF0-BCE1-91B177985CC3.jpeg

Edited by GreatCaesarsGhost

Is there room for a dissenting opinion? If you're willing to buy a single page, would you be willing to buy the coverless book without a centerfold that the pages were cut from?

You see an iconic page, I see a book that was chopped up for profit.  I'm not at all a fan.

1 minute ago, FineCollector said:

Is there room for a dissenting opinion? If you're willing to buy a single page, would you be willing to buy the coverless book without a centerfold that the pages were cut from?

You see an iconic page, I see a book that was chopped up for profit.  I'm not at all a fan.

Of course there’s room.

My enthusiasm presumes the books were so far gone that there was no loss to the world by removing a page from the rubble.  Beyond that, this is a philosophical discussion I’ll leave to others

I was very surprised this was a “thing” when I first found out about it. But I wouldn’t purchase a book with rust, heavy foxing, super tan pages/cover, brittle pages, pages missing, coupons cut, or books that are really ugly like so many .05’s are regardless if they are rare and super keys or not and yet there are buyers for all of these. Probably a few more things that would push my money elsewhere. It just gets to the point where I’d rather own a near minty 1967 Camaro SS vs owning the tires or misc. parts from a 1963 Ferrari GTO or a old Bugatti that is 90% rusted into pieces to use a vintage car analogy.

That said who am I to demonize a market if there are buyers? I’m sure it’s probably taken on an “art” aspect too since I’m assuming buyers are hanging their pages like pictures. So it’s certainly a worthy thread and I admit to enjoying looking at some of the better pages posters have...:)

Edited by N e r V

5 minutes ago, N e r V said:

That said who am I to demonize a market if there are buyers? I’m sure it’s probably taken on an “art” aspect too since I’m assuming buyers are hanging their pages like pictures. So it’s certainly a worthy thread and I admit to enjoying looking at some of the better pages posters have...:)

That's the only reasons I'd buy one, because owning a single page would never check the box on my checklist for a title.  

1 hour ago, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

I owned an Action 1 in the 1980’s. Bought it for under $7k and sold it for under $20k. Today I’m not willing to do what it takes to reacquire the book, and this checks the box for me today

3E877F6F-A8BF-4ADB-9EE0-1C8A4A2C225A.jpeg

Any pics Clark of your AC 1 ?

Bumping this thread. I just noticed in the new OPG, on p. 90, in Overstreets 2020 market report, that one advisor reported “There has been an upswing in sales of incomplete comic books and even parts of books over the last year as well. Surely this is due to the extremely high price of complete books. I have seen pages of major keys bring hundreds of thousands of dollars.”

Excerpt From
The Overstreet Comic Book Price Guide
Robert M. Overstreet
https://books.apple.com/us/book/the-overstreet-comic-book-price-guide/id1531161216
This material may be protected by copyright.

ok, I call bs on that. This advisor must be jumping from comic pages to original art. To my knowledge, the highest price anyone has paid for a comic page is $25k for page 3 of an Action 1

Edited by GreatCaesarsGhost

In my opinion, there's nothing unethical about the "parting out" of books, nor is it in "bad taste." It's the result of a few factors:

1. Climbing prices of complete and semi-complete books.

2. Desirability of certain books.

3. Display pieces.

When you consider the reality that most collectors face: They cannot afford complete or semi/complete copies, they don't want to settle for complete copies of much less desirable books and they want to appreciate the classic artwork safelycollecting individually slabbed pages makes sense.

1 hour ago, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

Bumping this thread. I just noticed in the new OPG, on p. 90, in Overstreets 2020 market report, that one advisor reported “There has been an upswing in sales of incomplete comic books and even parts of books over the last year as well. Surely this is due to the extremely high price of complete books. I have seen pages of major keys bring hundreds of thousands of dollars.”

Excerpt From
The Overstreet Comic Book Price Guide
Robert M. Overstreet
https://books.apple.com/us/book/the-overstreet-comic-book-price-guide/id1531161216
This material may be protected by copyright.

ok, I call bs on that. This advisor must be jumping from comic pages to original art. To my knowledge, the highest price anyone has paid for a comic page is $25k for page 3 of an Action 1

27.5k page 5  ac1 of course in auction november 2019 event auction is the highest to date

My contributions. A couple nice non-Supes Action 1 pages. Page #10 is cool though. 1st ever Zatara appearance. You know, that guy who’s in Action 1 that no one ever really talks about 😂. Also I’m definitely a fan of owning single pages. Action 1 is just insane now! I’d be more than happy to own a Supes page, despite that still costing anywhere from $8K-$30K. For now happy with my pages though.

A2231E26-4456-4459-ADB8-96EAD3F3F900.jpeg

C309E41A-E001-4942-9E87-6B0E2AA79D3D.jpeg

Edited by LDarkseid1

On 9/8/2020 at 10:43 AM, sfcityduck said:

That's the only reasons I'd buy one, because owning a single page would never check the box on my checklist for a title.  

Agreed. Usually not that expensive to buy a coverless GA comic missing centerfold or 1st wrap so you still get 15/16 wraps of reading and GA art pleasure. :download:

5 hours ago, LDarkseid1 said:

My contributions. A couple nice non-Supes Action 1 pages. Page #10 is cool though. 1st ever Zatara appearance. You know, that guy who’s in Action 1 that no one ever really talks about 😂. Also I’m definitely a fan of owning single pages. Action 1 is just insane now! I’d be more than happy to own a Supes page, despite that still costing anywhere from $8K-$30K. For now happy with my pages though.

A2231E26-4456-4459-ADB8-96EAD3F3F900.jpeg

C309E41A-E001-4942-9E87-6B0E2AA79D3D.jpeg

That Zatara splash has to be the most desirable page in the book outside of Superman and the centerfold. Great pickup!

11 minutes ago, Wayne-Tec said:

That Zatara splash has to be the most desirable page in the book outside of Superman and the centerfold. Great pickup!

Thanks! I honestly have no idea if I overpaid for it lol, but I don’t ever intend to sell unless upgrading to a Supes page. It seems like everything that isn’t a Supes page or the centerfold (I’ve never seen the centerfold for sale mind you) go for not that much. You can get just about any other page from what I’ve gathered in solid condition for $1500-$2500, and those kinds of pages brittle can go for as little as $800-$1200. 

On 9/8/2020 at 11:16 AM, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

I owned an Action 1 in the 1980’s. Bought it for under $7k and sold it for under $20k. Today I’m not willing to do what it takes to reacquire the book, and this checks the box for me today

3E877F6F-A8BF-4ADB-9EE0-1C8A4A2C225A.jpeg

I can’t remember if it was this page, or maybe even this exact page that you ended up purchasing, but a Supes page sold on eBay a year or two ago for about $7K or $8K. The seller originally had it at like $10K, I messaged offering around $6K and he said he would lower the price $500 each day until someone bought it. Well, someone eventually bought it and wasn’t me lol. I still massively regret not getting that page. I feel like it was this page once again, but it could have been page 4, can’t remember. Anyway, I’m super jealous of yours 😁

6 hours ago, LDarkseid1 said:

I can’t remember if it was this page, or maybe even this exact page that you ended up purchasing, but a Supes page sold on eBay a year or two ago for about $7K or $8K. The seller originally had it at like $10K, I messaged offering around $6K and he said he would lower the price $500 each day until someone bought it. Well, someone eventually bought it and wasn’t me lol. I still massively regret not getting that page. I feel like it was this page once again, but it could have been page 4, can’t remember. Anyway, I’m super jealous of yours 😁

Thanks Darkseid. I get it that single pages aren’t for everyone, but for guys like you and me . . . Yes!

I love your Zatara page