• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

HAYWARD COMIC-CON OCT. 1/05

62 posts in this topic

Well, it was okay. The highlight of the show was talking with the board members and discussing all the "pressing" issues in our hobby today. FFB was insightful as always and a great teacher in the ways of comics. POV was great to talk to about Pre-code horror and more. JBud and I had a great discussion about high grade Silver age and Bronze. Jimm was having a good time moving books over at his booth (FF#5 is still there). I was set up next to Wormboy, he's a crack up. He was waving his 50% off sign so much I thought his arm would fall off. A real nice guy. HOC stopped by and as always was great to talk with. He is a heck of a guy. Not too many nicer people around. Not including the guys I already mentioned. Any of the other board members I overlooked, I apologize but it was good to see you all.

The show was a little slow, but any reason to see the Bay area board members is a good enough reason to go. See ya at Wonder-Con guys.

-CW

Just strolled in from the Hayward con forum dinner - 893scratchchin-thumb.gif was it sanctioned. Well Pov is old enough to sanction any event I feel and since he was there I gotta say that bodes well.

Pictures of us making asses of oursleves after a few bottles of wine are to follow. devil.gif

What I learned--

Chris (CW) has the most robust display rack ever--you could stand on that thing all day and it wouldn't budge.

Tim (Wormboy) is an excellent grader. (I already knew he was a fun guy.)

The Golden State show in May is going to get rechristened with a throwback name. They are going to call it Super-Con, which was the name of the two-day shows put on by Steve Wyatt in Santa Clara (and I think Hayward) in the past. At least this is what Steve said to me. Pre-ebay, those shows used to be a big deal with some big names traveling from the east coast. We'll see how it goes next year--presumably a lot better than this last May.

Jeff and Jim look really at home behind a dealers table.

That a major restoration professional will reimburse you for market value if he messes up your book.

Thanks to Michael (POV), we learned that the color transfer in the Amazing Detective Cases 11 I sold him could be cleaned out of the book with no trace of the restoration, which was a real education.

I also learned that if the pressure is off me to get up at 6:30 and carry 30 boxes to the car, I get so relaxed that I sleep through half the show. Sorry guys! Hopefully we can get together at some point soon.

Marc

It was great to meet all of you folks that I have never met in person! As always, great to see you Marc! I'll be buying some stuff today on HouseofComics.com.

Thanks very much for buying stuff from me, and I'm glad to hear that the feedback on my grading was positive overall! I owe it all to these boards.

I had a pretty good show (my first). I wanted to come home empty handed, but I did manage to sell over half of what I brought. I'll be selling off the rest of it over the next few months. I'll try to give the boards the first shot on the Marketplace.

Also bought some Sweet Don Rosa Marvel Treasuries that must look better than the day they were printed.

Thanks again - see you at Wonder Con (and this time I'll be at the dinner!).

Hmm, one of the $20s I got from either Jim or Michael has "lunch money" clearly written on it.

Should I feel bad about taking somene's lunch money? yeahok.gif

No, turns out they didn't need it as they skipped lunch. 27_laughing.gif

Hmm, one of the $20s I got from either Jim or Michael has "lunch money" clearly written on it.

Should I feel bad about taking somene's lunch money? yeahok.gif

No, turns out they didn't need it as they skipped lunch. 27_laughing.gif

Jim ate the pinnacle of fine dining, the Convention hot dog. I thought Michael went out to eat with you and FFB confused.gif

I had the delicious room temperature Filipino spring roll. tongue.gif

Anyway, back on point, Marc, the best use of one's lunch money is to buy comics. grin.gif

This guy I know told me that when he was in school in the 60s he had enough money for all the Marvel and DCs published. But he loved comics so much he would sometimes skip lunch to buy Archies! At 12-cents each he could buy eight comics. He also admitted to me that he once or twice skipped taking the bus and would buy two Archies instead and then walk a few miles.

Anyway, that's my favorite lunch money comics story.

Another reason I was even later to the show was that I couldn't face the convention hot dog so I had to stop about five blocks away... for something that turned out to be just as bad with five times the wait.

Marc

I had the show dog. it was nasssssty. Although mine was cold so..........

The prices were actually very reasonable ($2), but it was gnarly.

I had the show dog, the hot plate frying pan fries, and the Philipino roll (which was the best item on the plate, but mine was hot).

Well, it was okay. The highlight of the show was talking with the board members and discussing all the "pressing" issues in our hobby today. FFB was insightful as always and a great teacher in the ways of comics. POV was great to talk to about Pre-code horror and more. JBud and I had a great discussion about high grade Silver age and Bronze. Jimm was having a good time moving books over at his booth (FF#5 is still there). I was set up next to Wormboy, he's a crack up. He was waving his 50% off sign so much I thought his arm would fall off. A real nice guy. HOC stopped by and as always was great to talk with. He is a heck of a guy. Not too many nicer people around. Not including the guys I already mentioned. Any of the other board members I overlooked, I apologize but it was good to see you all.

The show was a little slow, but any reason to see the Bay area board members is a good enough reason to go. See ya at Wonder-Con guys.

-CW

Thanks Chris. It's always great to see you at a convention. thumbsup2.gif

Hey Tim,

Great meeting you at the show! Thanks again for the free comic. That was very cool of you. hail.gif

And yes, Marc is right, your grading is superb! 893applaud-thumb.gif

Scott

It was great to meet all of you folks that I have never met in person! As always, great to see you Marc! I'll be buying some stuff today on HouseofComics.com.

Thanks very much for buying stuff from me, and I'm glad to hear that the feedback on my grading was positive overall! I owe it all to these boards.

I had a pretty good show (my first). I wanted to come home empty handed, but I did manage to sell over half of what I brought. I'll be selling off the rest of it over the next few months. I'll try to give the boards the first shot on the Marketplace.

Also bought some Sweet Don Rosa Marvel Treasuries that must look better than the day they were printed.

Thanks again - see you at Wonder Con (and this time I'll be at the dinner!).

Yeah, my lunch was the lumpia. It actually wasn't too bad. confused-smiley-013.gif Thankfully, I had enough sense to stay away from the Con hotdog.

Jason and I went with Pov to IHOP. I had the biscuits and gravy. KILLER!!!!! Only two blocks away, too. cloud9.gif

Post them in the Official Forum dinner pics thread too please. I think my nice idea might be dying on the vince and those pics will defintely SPICE things up a lot. devil.gif Still totally bummed about where I was sitting Christo_pull_hair.gif