• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Secret Diary of Eerie Adventures

13 posts in this topic

Over the Summer I've been helping out at an LCS (Bigfoot Comics) and several great golden age collections have came in (early Sub-Mariner comics, All Winners, early DC, etc.). This book just recently came in, a copy of Secret Diary of Eerie Adventures, a super rare book with a great cover. The seller let us know that it was missing 8 pages. I've come to the boards to see if you guys happen to know where I could find scans of the original pages just so I could pinpoint which pages are specifically missing (and maybe print out some facsimile pages). Also, if you happen to have a complete copy, we could probably figure things out :cool:. I've included images of the front and back cover (just because they're pretty cool) and an image of the pages I think could be the culprit. Thanks!

IMG_7459.jpeg

IMG_7460.jpeg

IMG_7461.jpeg

Easy peasy; Avon's 25 cent giant, just as other publishers did, bound several 10 cent comics together and slapped a new cover on them.  The stories referred to on the inside front cover first appeared in Eerie 6.  The two that you displayed graced Witchcraft 1.  You should be able to get page scans at www.comicbookplus.com.

Yes, I have both books, no I won't trade them, LOL!

Edited by fifties

11 minutes ago, fifties said:

Easy peasy; Avon's 25 cent giant, just as other publishers did, bound several 10 cent comics together and slapped a new cover on them.  The stories referred to on the inside front cover first appeared in Eerie 6.  The two that you displayed graced Witchcraft 1.  You should be able to get page scans at www.comicbookplus.com.

Yes, I have both books, no I won't trade them, LOL!

My copy has Witchcraft 1, Eerie 6 and Boy Detective 4

Secret Diary of Eerie Adventures 001.jpg

2 hours ago, Hap Hazard said:

My copy has Witchcraft 1, Eerie 6 and Boy Detective 4

I don't have a copy of the 25 center.  I could only relate from the inside FC and page titles he showed, coming from the two books they were originally in.

1 hour ago, Robot Man said:

I didn’t realize that this book was comprised of remaindered books. I should check my copy and see what I have in it. 

About a year ago, I found a coverless copy of this one. Sadly, I sold it. 

A scarce one no matter what condition. 

Do you know of any 25 cent "giants" from any publisher that contained original stories?  

22 minutes ago, fifties said:

I've got both of those.  I'll check my Amazing Ghost Stories, Nightmare, Strange Terrors and Weird Horrors to see if there's any story duplication.

Even if they're partly reprints, I'm pretty sure they are not remaindered books, just normal reprints.  Authentic Police Cases #25 reprints "Case of the Winking Buddha".

4 hours ago, OtherEric said:

Even if they're partly reprints, I'm pretty sure they are not remaindered books, just normal reprints.  Authentic Police Cases #25 reprints "Case of the Winking Buddha".

I can't see them reprinting when they'd have oodles of remaindered stock.  The giants were all about using them to best advantage.

Edit; OTOH issues from some publishers appearing in late 1954, esp from Superior and Ajax-Farrell, did in fact simply dish up reprints of their earlier books, so I guess it is possible regarding the giants.

Edited by fifties

8 minutes ago, fifties said:

I can't see them reprinting when they'd have oodles of remaindered stock.  The giants were all about using them to best advantage.

Edit; OTOH issues from some publishers appearing in late 1954, esp from Superior and Ajax-Farrell, did in fact simply dish up reprints of their earlier books, so I guess it is possible regarding the giants.

Well, it depends upon the giants.  I was talking here about those St. John giants that were part of the regular series numbering.  The story I mentioned, "Case of the Winking Buddha", can't be a remaindered book- the original was in the same format of "It Rhymes With Lust", and it was reformatted for the normal comic format.

The last several issue of "Authentic Police Cases" are reprints with new covers of earlier issue, even though they're normal size books.

Alright, thanks for all the help! I looked through Comic Book Plus and was able to find the missing pages, which ended up being from Witchcraft 1’s “This Ship is Wrecked” and “Demon’s Bargain” story. Now all we’ve gotta figure out is what to do with it... B|