• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Help Identifying Adult Comic Artists

11 posts in this topic

Hi, I am new to the forum and comics in general.    While living in San Francisco  I was able to collect a variety of original art.  Mostly music poster art.   Along the way I purchased a few original comics - but have no idea other than Spain who these might be attributed.      Any help, guidance would be appreciated.  And any help identifying the Spain piece i.e. where the NILES DELANCY might have appeared?  The last 2 images I believe are  Barry Windsor Smith - there are a total of 8 sketches - again any help on these pieces would be helpful.    Thanks so much.   

image.jpg

image.jpg

05FD120A-16F2-47F8-82F2-6EAB6B97FAD2.jpeg

29FD434E-1E65-4993-BAFA-A8116A216B79.jpeg

Edited by ps383

32 minutes ago, Will_K said:

The bottom piece (pencil and blue ink) looks to be by Gil Kane.

To my eye the bottom one looks like Kane as well -- possibly a layout for a 1970s Marvel monster reprint book.

The color piece of two guys punching each other looks like Skip Williamson, maybe?

I don't think the blue pencil piece is by BWS - Val Mayerik, maybe?

Trina Robbins would know every single thing about the San Francisco pieces, I bet.

A few hours ago, before your new posts, I was thinking the blond guy with his pants could be Ka-Zar, so I looked in all Astonishing Tales (V1) and in Ka-Zar series (V1 and V2) issues without success. Maybe BWS did this Levi's ad story (?) when he was working on Astonishing Tales ? Or converted an unpublished begining of story from him into an ad ? For fun ?

For the second piece : I have, myself, a prelim from BWS in my collection, and even without signature on yours, I'm convinced your art is from him too. The way some things are simplified on your prelim, like the feets, legs, anatomy, etc... on secondary characters, or details on the torso on the main character are very much in his style. Look at this BWS reference, for the torso case :

s-l1600.jpg

Maybe your prelim was a cover prelim ?

I have a suggestion : write an email to wsstudio@barrywindsor-smith.com and join your pics in it. Margaret Stewart will hopefully reply, and maybe she will ask Barry. I know at least one case of unsual art for which she did this in the past, and the owner of the art got a response.

BTW, you have a nice collection of Kane's prelims on Warlock ! They're great !

Edited by Ecclectica