• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Who drew this hulk picture?
2 2

153 posts in this topic

Wow! I remember those old Marvel pocket paperbacks. I devoured them as a child. I read the Fantastic Four one so many times that many of the panels of FF 1-6 are forever burned into my memory. I will always remember the Human Torch encountering an amnesiac Sub-Mariner in a retirement home and shaving off his beard with his flame.

22 minutes ago, telerites said:

I always thought Sal was under-appreciated compared to John.  The first book I bought was Defenders 2 and the cover hooked me.  And call me crazy, which many have including myself, but his Valkyrie was hot.

I concur. I saw his work for the first time on early Defenders as well.  Klaus Janson’s inking later in the series was a good match for his pencils.

I still think his brother was a much better artist, but Sal did some nice stuff, elevating him above the hack category. 

Edited by Ken Aldred

25 minutes ago, StreetPreacher said:

What's with the black 'slash' through the UPC code?  I've only seen this a few times, most recently on the Iron Man Demon in a Bottle cover.  Were these issues supposed to be sent back for credit and not sold?

It's Direct Market (slash) vs. Newsstand (no slash).

51 minutes ago, Ken Aldred said:

I concur. I saw his work for the first time on early Defenders as well.  Klaus Janson’s inking later in the series was a good match for his pencils.

I still think his brother was a much better artist, but Sal did some nice stuff, elevating him above the hack category. 

Definitely above a hack. A competent everyman is how I deem him. Strong early work and even later on Spec Spidey, I enjoyed those as a kid. 

12 hours ago, kav said:

If only Sal had learned to draw eyes that werent tiny beady things and that gaping mouth of his I might have had some liking for his 'art'.

I thought that was kind of a prerequisite for drawing the Hulk?! (:

For me - Sal is THE Hulk artist.

He was drawing the book when I began collecting the title, and his art helped hook me.

He could draw everything and anyone at any angle. His art was clean and dramatic. He could draw the small, emotional moments or titanic, thunderous clashes.

I've always thought his artwork really enhanced the storytelling. And he could do it on any title Marvel universe.

I loved his work on the Avengers, Rom, Captain America, Defenders, Sub-Mariner, Thor, Fantastic Four, Marvel Team-Up and Spectacular Spider-Man!

I believe Sal has said in some interviews that he wanted to be an inker, and I think John asked him to ink him on the Surfer title.

I enjoyed his inks over Pat Olliffe and Ron Frenz on Spider-Girl as well as his DC work circa 2000.

Sal was a beast for Marvel in the 70s and 80s.

If you opened up a Marvel book and saw Sal's name in credits, you knew you were going to get a great visual feast.

2 hours ago, HighVoltage said:

I believe Sal has said in some interviews that he wanted to be an inker, and I think John asked him to ink him on the Surfer title.

His inking was a good match for Barry (Windsor-)Smith’s pencils on early Conan.

Edited by Ken Aldred

On 9/8/2020 at 9:53 PM, kav said:

If only Sal had learned to draw eyes that werent tiny beady things and that gaping mouth of his I might have had some liking for his 'art'.

Agreed

Our Pal Sal, was no Pal to me! 

All his women looked exactly the same too! 

1 minute ago, Comics4All said:

Agreed

Our Pal Sal, was no Pal to me! 

All his women looked exactly the same too! 

That gaping mouth of his-everyone gaped, no matter the circumstance-

14 hours ago, RCheli said:

It really, really looks like John Romita re-drew his face. I'd love to see the original art for this to see if there were corrections.

11 hours ago, batmiesta said:

That looks more

Definitely looks like Romita did the head. 

Totally agree that Romita was somewhat involved in this drawing.

No way it is 100% Sal's artwork only...