• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Who drew this hulk picture?
2 2

153 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, HarrisonJohn said:

Don't know which came first but the faces are different;

1976_Hulk209_01.jpghulk_kirby_1.png

The face in the corner box is probably Sal's original, and the pasted over version on the paperback is probably by Romita.  Incredible Hulk #220 uses the latter face on a subscription ad, alongside Spider-Man and Captain America faces, also seemingly by Romita.

On 9/8/2020 at 8:44 PM, tvindy said:

Wow! I remember those old Marvel pocket paperbacks. I devoured them as a child. I read the Fantastic Four one so many times that many of the panels of FF 1-6 are forever burned into my memory. I will always remember the Human Torch encountering an amnesiac Sub-Mariner in a retirement home and shaving off his beard with his flame.

Yeah, there was a box set that came out around 1978 or 1980 -- had this Hulk book, the FF, and I think 2 Spiderman books.  They got thrown out along with the rest of my childhood belongings

9 hours ago, telerites said:

My god, I snafued - that is John's cover not Sal's. doh!

I am such a newb but here is one image with a quick search.

I do agree with Paul @Ken Aldred that I felt John was more polished and accomplished but Sal was a stalwart and still favorite of mine.  

GIAAdgctAxf8xLgFeTlhaxB-X78NfMoSVD7zKOO3

the old bait & switch: have John Buscema draw the cover to make you buy it, then see the gaping maws inside by Sal! 

9 hours ago, Chaykin Stevens said:

Frank Robbins drew the Hulk in Ghost Rider #12, a one-panel flashback to GR #11, which Sal had drawn.

11792030%5D&call=url%5Bfile:product.chai

Thanks 

I coulda went my whole life not seeing these terrible art & would have been just fine

1 hour ago, kav said:

Screenshot 2020-09-10 at 8.15.53 PM.png

There’s some nice Romita-style, feathery inking there.  That’s the only thing I like about it.

Edited by Ken Aldred

4 hours ago, Comics4All said:

Thanks 

I coulda went my whole life not seeing these terrible art & would have been just fine

It is, of course, my fault for posing the question in the first place.

5 minutes ago, Ken Aldred said:

It is, of course, my fault for posing the question in the first place.

Pls dont ask for a Robbins Spider Man for the love of god.

My impression of Sal’s artwork is that he is a solid blue-collar artist.  There’s nothing special or flashy or amazing about his work. it’s just consistent storytelling and his panel layout are simple to follow, so there’s never any confusion in terms of understanding what’s going.

the Hulk is my second favourite character and I’ve collected the entire run.  Sal has a rather lengthy run on the title (certainly by today’s standards), and I can see how those who grew up with his work on the title consider him to be the premier Hulk artist, but for my money nobody tops Dale Keown’s Hulk.

1 hour ago, jjonahjameson11 said:

My impression of Sal’s artwork is that he is a solid blue-collar artist.  There’s nothing special or flashy or amazing about his work. it’s just consistent storytelling and his panel layout are simple to follow, so there’s never any confusion in terms of understanding what’s going.

the Hulk is my second favourite character and I’ve collected the entire run.  Sal has a rather lengthy run on the title (certainly by today’s standards), and I can see how those who grew up with his work on the title consider him to be the premier Hulk artist, but for my money nobody tops Dale Keown’s Hulk.

Keown was fantastic on the book! Loved his work - and seeing him improve his craft each issue. The combination of Peter David's writing and Keown's art was the height of the run on the Hulk, imo.

It was tough to see Keown leave the Hulk, as he was really hitting his creative peak at that time.

But I have a lot of love for Buscema. I would agree that he's a solid, blue-collar artist and not flashy - not by that 90s/modern kind of standard. But I do think he was pretty special. Again - just my opinion.

As for some of the other Hulk artists, it took me a long time to appreciate Trimpe's run, but I enjoy a lot of his work now. Byrne was fairly good, but his run never really got going.

I really liked Mignola's style on the Hulk. You could see him growing and figuring things out. Too bad he had yet to reach his artistic peak before he left.

Kind of the same with McFarlane, except he seemed to find his style in the last few issues. Jeff Purves was kind of interesting and he had some good moments, but overall I didn't enjoy his artwork.

I did not enjoy Al Milgrom's run on the book at all. Loved Liam Sharp's work and enjoyed Deodato's stuff too, although it felt a little rushed. Adam Kubert's work was pretty good - he had some really high points and then some rushed/sloppy looking pages too. Angel Medina was another one - for me- that had some really cool moments... and then some stuff that left me wondering how fast he'd turned the pages in.

Overall, the Hulk has been blessed with some pretty darn good artists over the years. And this was just the main Hulk title (102-474). I really enjoy Kirby's Hulk and Gil Kane's version was really good too.