• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Who drew this hulk picture?
2 2

153 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, HighVoltage said:

Keown was fantastic on the book! Loved his work - and seeing him improve his craft each issue. The combination of Peter David's writing and Keown's art was the height of the run on the Hulk, imo.

It was tough to see Keown leave the Hulk, as he was really hitting his creative peak at that time.

But I have a lot of love for Buscema. I would agree that he's a solid, blue-collar artist and not flashy - not by that 90s/modern kind of standard. But I do think he was pretty special. Again - just my opinion.

As for some of the other Hulk artists, it took me a long time to appreciate Trimpe's run, but I enjoy a lot of his work now. Byrne was fairly good, but his run never really got going.

I really liked Mignola's style on the Hulk. You could see him growing and figuring things out. Too bad he had yet to reach his artistic peak before he left.

Kind of the same with McFarlane, except he seemed to find his style in the last few issues. Jeff Purves was kind of interesting and he had some good moments, but overall I didn't enjoy his artwork.

I did not enjoy Al Milgrom's run on the book at all. Loved Liam Sharp's work and enjoyed Deodato's stuff too, although it felt a little rushed. Adam Kubert's work was pretty good - he had some really high points and then some rushed/sloppy looking pages too. Angel Medina was another one - for me- that had some really cool moments... and then some stuff that left me wondering how fast he'd turned the pages in.

Overall, the Hulk has been blessed with some pretty darn good artists over the years. And this was just the main Hulk title (102-474). I really enjoy Kirby's Hulk and Gil Kane's version was really good too.

Agree with your assessment of Keown on Hulk. Took me a few issues to get used to Gary Frank's art after Keown left, but I think GF really came into his own and did some nice work on the title as well.

23 hours ago, Chaykin Stevens said:

The face in the corner box is probably Sal's original, and the pasted over version on the paperback is probably by Romita.  Incredible Hulk #220 uses the latter face on a subscription ad, alongside Spider-Man and Captain America faces, also seemingly by Romita.

The first printing of the paperback was 1978. The comic corner box goes at least back to the 1976 issue shown, which lends credence to the theory that Romita redrew the face used for the paperback. I agree with that theory.

FYI - There were at least two versions of the box set (shown here).

7F7D4548-5320-4DA3-94FF-F27F9C01B00F.thumb.jpeg.a346af6454205320c884d9ffafe74939.jpeg

7 minutes ago, Dave2739 said:

Agree with your assessment of Keown on Hulk. Took me a few issues to get used to Gary Frank's art after Keown left, but I think GF really came into his own and did some nice work on the title as well.

I like both Keown and Frank, and for me I found it an easy transition as there was some stylistic similarity.  I had more of a problem with Deodato’s run, as his artwork was really rushed-looking, sloppy, quite terrible compared to these two.

Just now, Ken Aldred said:

I like both Keown and Frank, and for me I found it an easy transition as there was some stylistic similarity.  I had more of a problem with Deodato’s run, as his artwork was really rushed-looking, sloppy, quite terrible compared to these two.

I'm curious what everyone thinks of the writers.  Aside from Peter David, I'm struggling to recall a strong run of good scripts and storylines.

16 minutes ago, piper said:

I'm curious what everyone thinks of the writers.  Aside from Peter David, I'm struggling to recall a strong run of good scripts and storylines.

For me, Thomas, Goodwin, Englehart and Wein’s Silver to Bronze run is quite patchy.

Planet Hulk was quite good, Immortal Hulk has been excellent.

Edited by Ken Aldred

One time I was on a greyhound bus with some comics-I was 18.  Dude next to me asked if he could read one I gave him some buscema hulk annual.  It was a pretty boring issue with hulk just fighting monster after monster and saying stuff like me mad!  me smash!
After he was done I asked if he wanted to read any more comics he said naw.
Wonder how many potential comic fans got turned away by ol Hulk.

14 minutes ago, kav said:

One time I was on a greyhound bus with some comics-I was 18.  Dude next to me asked if he could read one I gave him some buscema hulk annual.  It was a pretty boring issue with hulk just fighting monster after monster and saying stuff like me mad!  me smash!

That was the problem until you got into the more psychological period as initiated by Peter David.

You might get some interesting character development with the supporting cast, but then you’d have several issues composed mainly of relentless, numbing slugfests.  Maybe too much smashing, if you try re-reading them as an adult.

I felt that when I tried going through Len Wein’s run again; the Trimpe-to-Buscema transition era.

Edited by Ken Aldred

14 minutes ago, Ken Aldred said:

That was the problem until you got into the more psychological period as initiated by Peter David.

You might get some interesting character development with the supporting cast, but then you’d have several issues composed mainly of relentless, numbing slugfests.  Maybe too much smashing, if you try re-reading them as an adult.

I felt that when I tried going through Len Wein’s run again; the Trimpe-to-Buscema transition era.

I felt bad giving him that book to read I think I wanted him to read the annual cause lots of pages.  Back then I bought and read most everything-1976.  

42 minutes ago, Ready Fire Aim said:

Huh, I think you skipped over my all-time favorite Hulk artist: Gary Frank. The best imho.

D'OH! :whatthe:

I did skip him! Loved his work as well.

Another artist who really took great strides while on the book and left right as he started to reach his potential. I wish he'd stayed on longer!!!

20 minutes ago, Ken Aldred said:

Len Wein was a very talented comics professional who contributed a great many lasting characters, mythos, and memories for generations of fans.  When I think of all of Len’s wonderful contributions, I don’t think of his work on the Hulk...it didn’t ‘click’ for me.  This is not to take away from the man’s incredible talents as a writer creator, editor.  Just sayin’

Edited by jjonahjameson11

45 minutes ago, kav said:

I assume you’re talking about this book.

I loved it as a kid (shrug)

A10D4636-AD39-4297-8567-9FEE226225F2.jpeg

Just now, THE_BEYONDER said:

Thats it! Omg!  I liked it too but maybe not the best book for first time comic reader.  

28 minutes ago, jjonahjameson11 said:

Len Wein was a very talented comics professional who contributed a great many lasting characters, mythos, and memories for generations of fans.  When I think of all of Len’s wonderful contributions, I don’t think of his work on the Hulk...it didn’t ‘click’ for me.  This is not to take away from the man’s incredible talents as a writer creator, editor.  Just sayin’

I agree entirely with you.  It wasn’t Wein at his best.

Edited by Ken Aldred

16 minutes ago, THE_BEYONDER said:

14 minutes ago, kav said:

Thats it! Omg!  I liked it too but maybe not the best book for first time comic reader.  

You need to have Marvel Monster nostalgia to fully appreciate this one.

1 hour ago, Ken Aldred said:

For me, Thomas, Goodwin, Englehart and Wein’s Silver to Bronze run is quite patchy.

Planet Hulk was quite good, Immortal Hulk has been excellent.

Good to know. I stopped reading IH after David left the title and haven’t read anything since.

My first Hulk book was #166 off the newsstands. I have some very nostalgic memories of the book back then including issue #168’s cover. Early on in my collecting a friend gave me a copy of issue #120 and #118 was in Stan’s Origins of Marvel Comics book so I became hooked on Trimpes early run which to my child’s mind looked better than what I was seeing of him in 1973 maybe partly due to Severin’s inking. Was never a big fan of either Trimpe or Sal Buscema’s work then but if either had a good inker they were able to produce some nice cover work...

52EE9479-0088-477D-A407-4D9E4C297411.jpeg.15901f67794acabb4cd524c81b8a60ce.jpeg

90101C76-4D55-4B45-824C-3DE4763D8E7B.thumb.jpeg.71a913add6803f5459e5db51168ea6f5.jpeg

2FEC8483-0497-44AB-9EAB-1CBCF36F0E2F.jpeg.d133f0b461b4340e1ce5d393778d1900.jpeg

2C3F55AF-A00E-42D8-8BC8-20D7661464A2.thumb.jpeg.4c2b98c5b2c025601e4dda4a74e8c64f.jpeg

E18AA2C5-9537-4B6A-BA5B-29214635DC20.jpeg.dc970230866c1cb3bf6e247ee23e9a10.jpeg

E9F6AF7F-7FEC-4AAC-BF32-D1A6675B0F86.thumb.jpeg.5a140894405c0dbe6927a1d84b5c930d.jpeg

3544C178-7BBE-4D91-B07A-BFBCE6B1664B.jpeg.f4b4692d6574978fa4457dadf781a752.jpeg

DB014A8D-808B-4EF1-B353-3471BBA3A6A1.thumb.jpeg.d8363a4dc22ad43b8bce5e0f6e7aaafc.jpeg

46 minutes ago, Chaykin Stevens said:

I've no idea why they've given so much space to PM (Pablo Marcos. I think).  Apart from Mighty World of Marvel covers for British Marvel, I don't remember him ever drawing the Hulk.

I think it’s based on his UK work and his various drawings over the years in general and not tied to doing it as series.  They kind of suggest that too as it’s a chance to see different artists versions. I’d have given Ditko an honorable mention myself although there’s little work there too but he did an interesting version on his own and completely changing Kirbys version when he inked it.

C73879E9-77FD-459A-A5AC-DCFC78285FA6.jpeg.9ab50df4f81b40c635eb29e636146705.jpeg