• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Who drew this hulk picture?
2 2

153 posts in this topic

11 hours ago, JazzMan said:

Speaking of master strokes, here my piece du resistance...I introduce to you the very sexy Tigra.  See how Frank captures the silky, smooth prowess of the jungle huntress?  Practically comes out of the story board and wraps her claws around you.  Bravo, grand master Robbins!

image.png.c9bf8da9aa59a622bdc487188747d4ec.png

I had to cleanse my brain with a better version of Tigra. Also, Kraven is living his best life. 

fe0fc9de70ef004f05a1ac6286161963.jpg

To his credit, at least Robbins’ art was entirely his own work, and, unlike Greg Land, for example, didn’t have modern, easy access to a wide range of ‘online research materials’ to trace from.

27 minutes ago, Ken Aldred said:

To his credit, at least Robbins’ art was entirely his own work, and, unlike Greg Land, for example, didn’t have modern, easy access to a wide range of ‘online research materials’ to trace from.

I’ll never forgive him for ruining Captain America for me :censored:

112F050A-0772-46A4-9D92-9A671736DAB2.jpeg

Edited by THE_BEYONDER

46 minutes ago, Ken Aldred said:

greg Land is terrible!

speaking of gaping mouths and the same poses

land mouths.jpe

Edited by Comics4All

6 minutes ago, MatterEaterLad said:

Never been crazy about Robbin's work, even the golden age stuff, but there's something about the Invaders that is burned into my childhood. I love his artwork on that series and it's hard to imagine that team drawn by anyone but him. 

I'm the same - 70s childhood nostalgia for that title alone. He did have a very old school style that suited the material's wartime setting. 

I suspect that a common criticism would be a dislike for his dislocated, rag doll figurework poses, which you can see in his Captain America comics, such as the well-known Nomad panel.  Someone else can post that one. Again.

4 hours ago, Ken Aldred said:

i like land and also use photo ref as do plently of good artists like sean phillips.  i have a land OA page from FF with a zombie reed richards and it is beautiful. 

1 hour ago, Ken Aldred said:

I'm the same - 70s childhood nostalgia for that title alone. He did have a very old school style that suited the material's wartime setting. 

I suspect that a common criticism would be a dislike for his dislocated, rag doll figurework poses, which you can see in his Captain America comics, such as the well-known Nomad panel.  Someone else can post that one. Again.

For your viewing pleasure.

image.thumb.png.88a249aa4a94019616923ddc6876d574.png

I too grew up as a Robbins enthusiast in the 70s - Invaders and Human Fly as the main titles - I still treasure my original runs of those.  The artist I could not take was Jack Kirby - 1970s Jack Kirby was so very different from his older work - to me that was atrocious.  I grew to appreciate his art as an adult, but couldn't stomach him as a child.

More little known Robbins work...

image.png.24d96ee9ddc6431b9edb3b72a7ddcf75.png

3 hours ago, JazzMan said:

I too grew up as a Robbins enthusiast in the 70s - Invaders and Human Fly as the main titles - I still treasure my original runs of those.  The artist I could not take was Jack Kirby - 1970s Jack Kirby was so very different from his older work - to me that was atrocious.  I grew to appreciate his art as an adult, but couldn't stomach him as a child.

More little known Robbins work...

image.png.24d96ee9ddc6431b9edb3b72a7ddcf75.png

Not terrible 

Who was the magical inker?

5 hours ago, kav said:

i like land and also use photo ref as do plently of good artists like sean phillips.  i have a land OA page from FF with a zombie reed richards and it is beautiful. 

Land gets a bad rep for "tracing" over photos and regurgitating the same images over and over. I really don't know how I feel about his process, but I will say he is good at it.

30 minutes ago, Artboy99 said:

Land gets a bad rep for "tracing" over photos and regurgitating the same images over and over. I really don't know how I feel about his process, but I will say he is good at it.

The using same image ok I can see that but plenty of artists use photo ref-Sean Phillips OA you can see where he prints photos in bluline then just inks over. not everything just some.  But there are pages where 80% of it is photo.

Edited by kav