• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Who drew this hulk picture?
2 2

153 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, kav said:

The using same image ok I can see that but plenty of artists use photo ref-Sean Phillips OA you can see where he prints photos in bluline then just inks over. not everything just some.  But there are pages where 80% of it is photo.

Alex Ross works from photographs. I think his process is different from Greg Land but no one seems to mind what Ross does.

The%20process_Ross%20at%20work-1.jpg

4 minutes ago, Comics4All said:

:sick: Why do people like this?

I am not sure.

Land is good at doing it, the end result is a well drawn image maybe it is that?

I have worked from photos many times. I took a picture of my hand in a mirror to get the look / proportions correct for a Galactus vs. the Avengers drawing I did for a friend.

Edited by Artboy99

5 minutes ago, Artboy99 said:

I am not sure.

Land is good at doing it, the end result is a well drawn image maybe it is that?

I have worked from photos many times. I took a picture of my hand in a mirror to get the look / proportions correct for a Galactus vs. the Avengers drawing I did for a friend.

I'm off to bed!

Here are some non Jenna Jameson traced open mouthed images

land men.jpe

I actually think Land is a good artist, this example is well drawn and the end result looks fantastic. Perhaps the problem many have with Land isn't that he works from photos, and possibly even traces from photos it is perhaps the repetition of images and concepts.

wildcats-1.jpg

2 hours ago, XxSpideyxX said:

Wow!  Great find!  Any idea who drew the updated version?  I would bet JR Sr, but curious if anyone knows for sure.

JR Sr seems plausible.  Another favourtite Hulk image of mine is Trimpe's back cover for the 1975 Marvel Annual. The front cover by Ron Wilson was used for a value stamp, but with the face from the back cover pasted over it.

link

1 hour ago, Moater said:

Maybe Land uses a lightbox and Ross doesn't?

What abt Sean Phillips then?  good or bad?

6 hours ago, XxSpideyxX said:

Wow!  Great find!  Any idea who drew the updated version?  I would bet JR Sr, but curious if anyone knows for sure.

5 hours ago, Artboy99 said:

I would agree

If the wall Hulk is some kind of sticker or whatever it could be just some random illustrator who got the job to turn trimpe hulk into a sticker.

22 hours ago, Chaykin Stevens said:

JR Sr seems plausible.  Another favourtite Hulk image of mine is Trimpe's back cover for the 1975 Marvel Annual. The front cover by Ron Wilson was used for a value stamp, but with the face from the back cover pasted over it.

link

Really interesting because it appears JR SR redrew that image as well!  In fact, it seems he did a compilation of a lot of this classic art.

hulk0001.jpg