• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

“I will destroy them” Dylans Universe calls out CGC on IG
11 11

1,073 posts in this topic

So Dylan is going on a tangent on IG this morning...is there anyone here who believes that CGC did anything wrong, we’ve seen this submitters practices over the last few months...it’s becoming a huge issue for our hobby.

“ dylanuniversecomics_ CGC accepted my two Amazing Fantasy 15s with fully-attached-covers for walk-through grading and damaged both of them by fully detaching the covers.  This resulted in a decline in value of about $60k, according to the CGC labels I packaged these very carefully and paid over $2k  to grade because of insurance, where CGC now refuses to pay.. They've said that my irrefutable "before" pictures are not "convincing."

They detached both staples of both books and I'm very upset. I work very hard to make a living and I'm not gonna let a corporation steal from me.

I think this picture is pretty darn convincing..We all saw Matt Nelson's  video in which he so roughly handled that Superman #1. Of course, if you handle a book like a telephone book the covers could detach.

Many of us know of other horror stories of CGC of damaging books and not taking any responsibility.

Please share this everywhere, and call them and tell them this is not ok. Ask to speak to Matt, Harshen, or Brittany. Leave messages. Use #67.

Their # is 1-877-NM-COMIC

Because if my $60k doesn't get paid back,  they won't pay you when they damage your comics that are $600, $6,000, or $600,000.

If I don't get restitution, we as a comic book community #igcomicfam say it is OK for CGC to damage our comic books and not pay us. Let them know that it's not OK!. 

Think carefully about sending books to CGC unless you have an A+ lawyer ready because you will have to fight like hell to get paid when your precious books get damaged.. 

Imagine how much harder my fight would be if I did not have photos of before-grading.

Spread this like wildfire because your comics are at stake here, too. 

The world is watching...

-Dylan “

556901C1-F7CB-43DB-AEA8-818AC07E5B5C.png

I typically side with CGC and I'm sure there are better ways for Dylan's Comics to approach restitution but this looks bad for CGC.  The staples are clearly intact in the before pictures.  Not only do they seem firmly attached but the after pics look like a lot of damage had been done to the book at some point.  I realize there are lots of ways someone could make this seem like something its not but if everything he's provided is legit then I hope CGC does the right thing and compensates him accordingly.  

3 minutes ago, comicquant said:

I typically side with CGC and I'm sure there are better ways for Dylan's Comics to approach restitution but this looks bad for CGC.  The staples are clearly intact in the before pictures.  Not only do they seem firmly attached but the after pics look like a lot of damage had been done to the book at some point.  I realize there are lots of ways someone could make this seem like something its not but if everything he's provided is legit then I hope CGC does the right thing and compensates him accordingly.  

How do we know those are the books he sent in? One is in a CGC case, it could help if he showed the entire slab, along with the serial number. That could help identify that it was the same book sent in.

Just now, William-James88 said:

How do we know those are the books he sent in? One is in a CGC case, it could help if he showed the entire slab, along with the serial number. That could help identify that it was the same book sent in.

There are some identifying marks near the guys chin that show its the same book.  Those could obviously be photoshopped but like I said, if those are legit pics then it seems like some damage had been done between the two photos.  You never know though.  SCS may have caused the cover to detach during shipping.  There are too many variables.

4 minutes ago, comicquant said:

There are some identifying marks near the guys chin that show its the same book.  Those could obviously be photoshopped but like I said, if those are legit pics then it seems like some damage had been done between the two photos.  You never know though.  SCS may have caused the cover to detach during shipping.  There are too many variables.

Oh my bad, I had not noticed that they were before and after pics of the same book. I thought they were pic of his two different books. 

As I stated above, a full before and after pic of each book along with a detailed look at the damage for each one would help. 

8 minutes ago, Monstro said:

93069449-0495-457E-B953-873C8B074574.jpeg

AE98E8F8-E048-440B-880B-F2662265BBA9.jpeg

Is it just me or is there considerably more building shown by the windows on the slabbed copy

Unless it was pressed but the raw looks pretty straight and flat for that to have adjusted to more of the building showing with the horizontal lines by the windows

Especiallythat top horizontal slightly up and to the right slant kind of horizontal lol

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

Added spine creases plus the popped staples, plus it looks like the cover-wrap was "shifted" as Adamantium noted.

Hard to say this was simply SCS, those creases look like handling damage.

He said it was a walk-through grading? Is that like on-site where they grade/slab on site? Or did he drop them off to be later taken/shipped off for grading?

In any case, looks like handling damage.

1 minute ago, jcjames said:

Added spine creases plus the popped staples, plus it looks like the cover-wrap was "shifted" as Adamantium noted.

Hard to say this was simply SCS, those creases look like handling damage.

He said it was a walk-through grading? Is that like on-site where they grade/slab on site? Or did he drop them off to be later taken/shipped off for grading?

In any case, looks like handling damage.

I could be wrong but I think walk-through is just same day grading and can be mailed in, dropped off, or con graded.  If you drop off, I assume you could just wait on it or con graded, you could get it back the same day.