• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

“I will destroy them” Dylans Universe calls out CGC on IG
11 11

1,073 posts in this topic

Is he claiming CGC popped the staples on two AF 15 which were walk thru books?  One book could be possible but for them to do two books would be highly unlikely if not improbable.  The damage shown in those two pictures was not caused by rough handling of a book unless it was handled by a 3 year old on a sugar high.

2 minutes ago, DocHoppus182 said:

Look, could it happen?  Sure.  Is this legitimate?  Could be.  But, 2 AF15s are submitted with fully attached covers and after grading both are fully detached?  Hmmm.....

With all his shenanigans, I imagine the “before” pics were somehow staged.

Didn't expect him to try & game CGC :popcorn:

Word to the wise, when you submit to CGC it is important to accurately value your comic on the submission form.  If CGC does damage the book you will be limited to the amount you stated as value.  So that FF 48 in 9.6 you tried to sneak in an economy submission?  Not so much.  As far as Dylan goes, if I were advising a client his handling of the situation is what NOT to do.

Edited by ThothAmon

Bob just asked him on IG if he had the books cleaned and pressed.

Could it be a junk press job?  It’s not like books have never been damaged during a press.  Popped both sets of staples.  I wonder if he had the presser submit directly to CGC after the pressing.

4 minutes ago, DocHoppus182 said:

Could it be a junk press job?  It’s not like books have never been damaged during a press.  Popped both sets of staples.  I wonder if he had the presser submit directly to CGC after the pressing.

:gossip: He's a presser....

1 minute ago, jaybuck43 said:

Who mails 2 five figure raw books?  I'd pile the books in my car and drive to Sarasota for walkthrough. You can't insure USPS for more than $5,000 (supposedly there's a way to go to $50,000 with registered mail, but I can't figure it out online, and even still, two mid grade AF15s are worth more than $50,000 anyway).  So it probably went UPS or Fedex, and even then, it's still not great.  Also, looking at the pics posted, the amount of damage there is RIDICULOUS.  I can't imagine CGC caused that damage.  

Popped staple on one book maybe...27 (factitous alert) hard colour breaking creases in one square inch of space...no way.  None of us would ever have a 9.8.

2 minutes ago, DocHoppus182 said:

I'm not taking sides here, but in my own experience where books have been damaged (between submitting them to an independent presser and having them then sent directly to CGC) I've had to deal with the unknown of knowing whether the damage happened between the presser and CGC (bad press job/SCS) or whether it occurred during the grading process. Hard to assign blame unless you have directly submitted the comics and are confident in your shipping/packing skills.

And, as shown here, always scan any comics sent to CGC just in case damage like this does occur!

2 minutes ago, Guardian Comics said:

Well seeing as Beyonder just showed an IG post of Dylans Pressing Service where he says he mostly does work for himself, I'd assume he was the presser.  He also made us all aware in other threads that he does all his resto removal and comic disassembly himself.

Not to mention the other AF 15 (the one not shown) came back as “cover cleaned”. But Dylan has an affadivt from this presser. Doesn’t say what is on the affidavit, just that he has one. 

1 hour ago, Monstro said:

93069449-0495-457E-B953-873C8B074574.jpeg

AE98E8F8-E048-440B-880B-F2662265BBA9.jpeg

The quality of the "before" picture is better than the "after" picture.  If the submitter was wise enough to take a good pic of the problem area before submitting then why try to prove damage with a cruddy "after" pic?

Edited by bababooey

12 minutes ago, DocHoppus182 said:

That was my first thought, bad press. If he's doing his own pressing, why wouldn't he press himself? If he got someone else to press, they could have popped the staples and sent them on for grading without telling Dylan. 

Or He pressed them himself, (do we KNOW they are his books or are they from one of those "high profile clients" he mentions?) popped the staples and is now blaming CGC to cover his own mistakes.