• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

“I will destroy them” Dylans Universe calls out CGC on IG
11 11

1,073 posts in this topic

1 minute ago, THE_BEYONDER said:

It used to be that we’d buy CGC books because we knew what we were getting.  

Now the slab is a way to hide shenanigans behind plastic.

Feel like CGC is jumping the shark.

That is very interesting. If slabs are hiding defects you would find in hand that seems pretty terrible. Kind of the opposite of what the expectation is. 

8 minutes ago, wombat said:
8 minutes ago, wombat said:

That is very interesting. If slabs are hiding defects you would find in hand that seems pretty terrible. Kind of the opposite of what the expectation is. 

I feel like it’s going to come to a point where being able to inspect the raw book in hand, is preferable to CGC’s opinion.

Edited by THE_BEYONDER

21 minutes ago, THE_BEYONDER said:

Eh, in truth it hasn't always been that way for a long time.  Remember the Jason Ewert scandal?  And at least as far back as when CGC began ignoring bad pressing jobs in their grading.  Both of which took place a long time ago:

JIM93.JPG.a3f9d1b44fb081d8660ac70864c01110.JPG   JIM93facejob.JPG.ecad67d2d0050c67660da91456b98164.JPG

Edited by namisgr

30 minutes ago, THE_BEYONDER said:

Now the slab is a way to hide shenanigans behind plastic.

Feel like CGC is jumping the shark.

Yes.

Hence my comment about transparency and trust, particularly when the foundation shows cracks - either by people finding ways to game the system or by company business practices and systems that need to be tightened up.

What was the reason for anybody to have a book slabbed? To have a third, independent party take a look and say, "Hey - this book is legit (universal or restored or signed, etc.) and in our opinion, it's a grade of X.X"... and most people could probably agree on the grade within a .2 / .5 or so.

But that trust factor has got to be rock solid. At least for me. Otherwise, a large reason for submitting a book is no longer valid.

26 minutes ago, namisgr said:

Eh, in truth it hasn't always been that way for a long time.  Remember the Jason Ewert scandal?  And at least as far back as when CGC began ignoring bad pressing jobs in their grading.  Both of which took place a long time ago:

JIM93.JPG.a3f9d1b44fb081d8660ac70864c01110.JPG   JIM93facejob.JPG.ecad67d2d0050c67660da91456b98164.JPG

38EA2684-E141-4937-99E4-0C81434E1EED.png

1 minute ago, october said:

Going to come? I've been there for years. I collect mostly golden age and I am far, far more comfortable buying raw on eBay than I am a slab in a big auction. It's all manipulated, and often poorly manipulated. Hint: golden age comics were made with impacted staples that sit inside the spine. Bad press jobs abound. 

You’ve always been ahead of the curve Andy.  :wink:

4 minutes ago, THE_BEYONDER said:

You’ve always been ahead of the curve Andy.  :wink:

I don't mind a properly done press job at all....but finding one is about as rare as finding an untouched copy. Ham and egger DIY basement job pressers are everywhere and the telltales of their shoddy work are obvious, even in scans, if you know how to look. 

Anybody else find it weird that he was blown away by Jimmy Olsen 134 when looking through his father's comics? Is that an issue that stands out without knowledge of where the Darkseid character went, simply from seeing his face on a TV screen? Does that issue stand out more than the surrounding ones to someone with no knowledge or familiarity with the history associated? It doesn't to me...and it didn't to a lot of people a few years ago when I would buy them on the cheap because no one seemed to care.

9 minutes ago, october said:

I don't mind a properly done press job at all....but finding one is about as rare as finding an untouched copy. Ham and egger DIY basement job pressers are everywhere and the telltales of their shoddy work are obvious, even in scans, if you know how to look. 

Ham and eggerlol 

1 hour ago, october said:

Outer Limits Boro started pressing books. The last time I went they were selling a Silver Age Thor with a book-long crease as a VF, but hey, it was a flat as rice paper.

20 minutes ago, DavidTheDavid said:

Outer Limits Boro started pressing books. The last time I went they were selling a Silver Age Thor with a book-long crease as a VF, but hey, it was a flat as rice paper.

Hven't been there in years, but they used to have some pretty nice stuff. Guessing it's all dried up.