• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

“I will destroy them” Dylans Universe calls out CGC on IG
11 11

1,073 posts in this topic

4 hours ago, joeypost said:

Agreed. It could have been a chemical bath.

3 hours ago, THE_BEYONDER said:

So wait.....

Chemical washing gets a conserved label????

3 hours ago, joeypost said:

If they detect it. From what I understand, an aqueous bath is easy to detect, while some chemical baths are a lot harder. 

3 hours ago, THE_BEYONDER said:

What is a wash conserving?

3 hours ago, comicquant said:

There could be corrosive contaminants on the cover.  A wash, in some cases, can extend the paper's life.

3 hours ago, joeypost said:

You can do a lot to a comic IF you don't plan on sending it in for grading. Lots of defects and stains can be removed to make the book look better, but the book obviously is now conserved or restored. 

There are several processes that can be used by conservationist to extend the life of books and clean them. Although as Joey said most are detectable.  Here is a post by another board member where he shows some of his tests using his conservative method to remove lignin from the paper as well as torture testing the after effects.

Do I have to go through the 30 pages of posts to ask if this is the same Amazing Fantasy 15 he has been taking pictures of with on social media for the past 12 months.

https://www.instagram.com/p/B-ISwPWHlc8/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

Screen Shot 2020-09-11 at 2.42.01 PM.png

Anyways I am having flashbacks from the robert beerbohm story.

Edited by Jimmy Linguini

50 minutes ago, october said:

Hven't been there in years, but they used to have some pretty nice stuff. Guessing it's all dried up. 

Owner's son is running the show now. It's been a year since I've been there, so I'm outdated but they've been trying to modernize. It feels like a Facebook hustle with variants and press & flip, and amateurs trying to punch up, which I guess everyone is to start. Just not my cup of tea. 

6 minutes ago, DavidTheDavid said:

Owner's son is running the show now. It's been a year since I've been there, so I'm outdated but they've been trying to modernize. It feels like a Facebook hustle with variants and press & flip, and amateurs trying to punch up, which I guess everyone is to start. Just not my cup of tea. 

Me neither. I found some beautiful raw books there 5-7 years ago though, the tail end of a high end collection. My ASM 300 9.8/9.8 double cover came out of there, raw, for like $135. 

On 9/9/2020 at 3:21 PM, blazingbob said:
On 9/9/2020 at 3:18 PM, BlowUpTheMoon said:

How does Dylan have two AF 15s? 

Because he has spent 1.2 Million dollars and is an overstreet advisor.  When you become an Overstreet advisor money just flows to you like water.  

I just opted out of the Adviser Cabal and already the fat stacks are drying up.

5 hours ago, joeypost said:

Agreed. It could have been a chemical bath.

Could you explain what wet wash is Joey?  I have googled it but it just doesnt make any sense-you put an AF 15 cover in WATER?

4 hours ago, joeypost said:

Your head would spin if I shared what some of my ex customers asked me to do to certain books. When I refused they said they would find someone else to do it. 

I need to hear some of these.

1 minute ago, joeypost said:

Pretty much. 

I have put a cover in water just for an experiment and flattened it and let it dry and it was all jacked up.  not asking for any trade secrets but how can you do this?

1 minute ago, blazingbob said:

Guys,  maybe it would be a good idea to take this offline.  Do we really need more amateur's "trying this out"  Or if you really want to learn what to do take a Restoration course from a professional

Shut up Bob. This will be good! :popcorn:

3 minutes ago, blazingbob said:

Guys,  maybe it would be a good idea to take this offline.  Do we really need more amateur's "trying this out"  Or if you really want to learn what to do take a Restoration course from a professional

I have no desire to restore/press or anything this is sheer curiosity.

1 hour ago, kav said:

I have put a cover in water just for an experiment and flattened it and let it dry and it was all jacked up.  not asking for any trade secrets but how can you do this?

That’s pretty much all there is to it. That’s why a water bath is so easy to detect. 

On 9/9/2020 at 9:24 AM, Monstro said:

93069449-0495-457E-B953-873C8B074574.jpeg

AE98E8F8-E048-440B-880B-F2662265BBA9.jpeg

Just to make sure I've got this right, is this supposed to be the before (1st pic) and after (2nd pic) images of an AF 15 that CGC allegedly damaged as seen in picture 2? And if that's correct, the icture of the first AF 15 is supposed to be completely unrestored? 

Also mentioned is a second AF 15 that CGC allegedly damaged. Are there any pics of that viewable, before, after, or both before and after the damage? 

1 minute ago, joeypost said:

That’s pretty much all there is to it. That’s why a water bath is so easy to detect. 

can you remove water damage with a water bath?  I dont think asking these simple questions will make amateurs rush out and try the stuff I'm talking abt there are plenty of youtube videos and websites to lead them astray.

4 minutes ago, James J Johnson said:

Just to make sure I've got this right, is this supposed to be the before (1st pic) and after (2nd pic) images of an AF 15 that CGC allegedly damaged as seen in picture 2? And if that's correct, the icture of the first AF 15 is supposed to be completely unrestored? 

Also mentioned is a second AF 15 that CGC allegedly damaged. Are there any pics of that viewable, before, after, or both before and after the damage? 

Read the thread :baiting: