• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

“I will destroy them” Dylans Universe calls out CGC on IG
11 11

1,073 posts in this topic

I saw his booth at the Old School Comic Con in New Hampshire a couple weeks ago. It was really a letdown in every possible way. He had dollar boxes with a "wall book"-type wall behind him but the things on the wall...It was more a showcase of covers he printed out himself over some number of possibly legitimate thrashed interior pages from the actual comics than real keys. There were very few complete books and prices that make you confused as to what you are looking at. I asked his father if he had any more Golden Age books other than what was on the wall and he looked at the boxes and very condescendingly said No way! I was over whatever curiosity I had to see what he was offering.

Evening gentlemen, I dry cleaned and pressed the two books in question.  i would have posted sooner but family matters prevented it.   

The customer informed me of the detached covers although I hadn’t seen pics of the damage until now.  I always take pics of books arriving and departing to prevent issues and cover liability and of course did that with these big books.  Two other people here saw the books get packed and shipped.

I have to admit I was very surprised when I saw just how much damage was done to the books, more that just a simple popped staple.  The books were shipped to the customer who forwarded them to CGC.  

The higher grade book was very nice and needed very little cleaning and pressing, the lower grade one had tape removal at some point in its past and was attached at staples but they did have stress as can be seen.  

I have worked with many fragile books, most much more delicate than these two.  I am confident my pressing did not contribute to the issue. Anyone here who has bought from me knows I pack like the book is going into a war zone so I’m confident it travelled well.

Hard to figure out how these books got so mangled.  I really hope CGC has some photo/video coverage to help decide when the damage happened.  Hard to imagine that kind of damage in shipping but I guess anything is possible.  

Hopefully this helps clear some questions.  Just a really sad thing to happen to a couple of AF15’s

36 minutes ago, Guardian Comics said:

Now I have absolutely seen it all.

I have only one word: mail.gif
Ok two words: :ahh: 

3 minutes ago, 427Impaler said:

Evening gentlemen, I dry cleaned and pressed the two books in question.  i would have posted sooner but family matters prevented it.   

The customer informed me of the detached covers although I hadn’t seen pics of the damage until now.  I always take pics of books arriving and departing to prevent issues and cover liability and of course did that with these big books.  Two other people here saw the books get packed and shipped.

I have to admit I was very surprised when I saw just how much damage was done to the books, more that just a simple popped staple.  The books were shipped to the customer who forwarded them to CGC.  

The higher grade book was very nice and needed very little cleaning and pressing, the lower grade one had tape removal at some point in its past and was attached at staples but they did have stress as can be seen.  

I have worked with many fragile books, most much more delicate than these two.  I am confident my pressing did not contribute to the issue. Anyone here who has bought from me knows I pack like the book is going into a war zone so I’m confident it travelled well.

Hard to figure out how these books got so mangled.  I really hope CGC has some photo/video coverage to help decide when the damage happened.  Hard to imagine that kind of damage in shipping but I guess anything is possible.  

Hopefully this helps clear some questions.  Just a really sad thing to happen to a couple of AF15’s

Wait. So he didn't press his own books. You pressed them? You also say you took photos before and after? Would you mind sharing those on here labeled before and after?  Would really like to see them. Thank you.

6 minutes ago, 427Impaler said:

And so this is clear these books went to Canada and back since that is where your profile states your location.

8 minutes ago, 427Impaler said:

And one of the AFs you worked on came back as “cover cleaned” notation?

Edited by manetteska

1 minute ago, manetteska said:

I too am awaiting a reply , but what he stated is that it looked like tape was originally removed so that could be from whoever worked on it before as he stated he only dry cleaned the books.

Just now, onlyweaknesskryptonite said:

I too am awaiting a reply , but what he stated is that it looked like tape was originally removed so that could be from whoever worked on it before as he stated he only dry cleaned the books.

AND pressed them.

2 minutes ago, onlyweaknesskryptonite said:

This is the same person who was defending Dyldo in the character label thread. Now I get it. Odd one would ship such expensive books across the border twice. 

Just now, manetteska said:

This is the same person who was defending Dyldo in the character label thread. Now I get it. Odd one would ship such expensive books across the border twice. 

Ok. That makes more sense.  And definitely agree sending anything across borders is risky but that definitely warrants a :facepalm:.   

I still have an ongoing family issue so will only be able to pop in from time to time.  The pics are the ones the customer has been using, I sent them to him the second I heard the “covers detached” issue.  The low grade book that came back cover cleaned would have been something the book went through prior to me, it also had tape removal prior to me.  Yes, I am in Canada.  I do work for many other people and some board members in the US and Canada.  

Just to pre-empt the question:  I DO NOT do solvent bath, I just don’t believe it is good for the book.  Even books that I do conservation on I don’t solvent bath them even if it is allowed by CGC in the conserved category.  I do aqueous de-acidification on books being submitted for Conservation grade.  I also don’t trim books or do restoration.

Feel free to have a look at my IG page for the kinds of work that I do: @excelsior.conservation

Edited by 427Impaler
Spelling

27 minutes ago, onlyweaknesskryptonite said:
30 minutes ago, manetteska said:

Sure, that's what he stated. As to what actually occurred, we'll never know.

34 minutes ago, blazingbob said:

And so this is clear these books went to Canada and back since that is where your profile states your location.

Not only did they go to Canada, they went all the way to the western coast of Canada. Versus using any number of more local (NYC or US) and known entities.

So there is most likely some prior relationship here (hence the carrying-the-bag posts earlier), and/or another very specific reason to use these services.

3 minutes ago, manetteska said:

Sure, that's what he stated. As to what actually occurred, we'll never know.

That’s true, I do know CGC is really good at spotting cover cleaned:  I did a solvent bath test with results, I think it is in the resto section.  Water bath also is easy to spot

1 minute ago, manetteska said:

Not only did they go to Canada, they went all the way to the western coast of Canada. Versus using any number of more local (NYC or US) and known entities.

So there is most likely some prior relationship here (hence the carrying-the-bag posts earlier), and/or another very specific reason to use these services.

I suggest you be careful here, sounds like you are insinuating I do something that would be considered unethical.  I do work for a few boardies and the reason people use me is good results.  I have several customers on the East coast that ship to me regularly.  My main focus is conservation and extending the life of comics.  The only time I ever use a solvent is during tape removal and even then the final adhesive removal is done with a staedler.  

14 minutes ago, 427Impaler said:

That’s true, I do know CGC is really good at spotting cover cleaned:  I did a solvent bath test with results, I think it is in the resto section.  Water bath also is easy to spot

8 minutes ago, 427Impaler said:

I suggest you be careful here, sounds like you are insinuating I do something that would be considered unethical.  I do work for a few boardies and the reason people use me is good results.  I have several customers on the East coast that ship to me regularly.  My main focus is conservation and extending the life of comics.  The only time I ever use a solvent is during tape removal and even then the final adhesive removal is done with a staedler.  

I do not know the situation and in my original quotes to you I have and will not insinuate you have done anything.  Also I only quoted these as you replied to them, but I am still curious if you could/ would share your before and after scans of these two AF15s ? I would just really like to see what these looked like when you received them and when you were done with your clean and press. We have seen the mess Dylan posted or what could be seen from the pictures he did show. I would just like to see them before all of this. Thank you.

1 hour ago, 427Impaler said:

The books were shipped to the customer who forwarded them to CGC.  

And there we have it.

If the presser states that the books were fine when they were sent out and CGC stares that the books arrived detached, then that means it happened during the time Dylan got them back. 

3 minutes ago, onlyweaknesskryptonite said:

I do not know the situation and in my original quotes to you I have and will not insinuate you have done anything.  Also I only quoted these as you replied to them, but I am still curious if you could/ would share your before and after scans of these two AF15s ? I would just really like to see what these looked like when you received them and when you were done with your clean and press. We have seen the mess Dylan posted or what could be seen from the pictures he did show. I would just like to see them before all of this. Thank you.

3 minutes ago, onlyweaknesskryptonite said:

My comment regarding an insinuation was directed to the other boardie.  I appreciate you linking my lignin thread.

ill try to dig up the pics and post them in a good chronological way.  Obviously I don’t have the graded pics but we know where they are.

taking care of some stuff so will search gather them in the morning

cheers