• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

“I will destroy them” Dylans Universe calls out CGC on IG
11 11

1,073 posts in this topic

Have not read all 39 pages in this thread. Dylan states all 4 cover areas popped from staples on his 2 AF #15's. His M.O. clearly stated on the Youtube video is to specialize in low grade keys including marrying parts and rebuilding keys. Alternate THEORY: Cgc loosened the centerfold staples to carefuly inspect the interior wraps for pro reinforcement and marrying. Then Cgc repacked the wraps but did not take due care to make sure the weakened cover staple area was carefully tucked under the outside of the staples.

Based on the evidence presented during the trial so far, my money is still on SCS during transit from Dylan to CGC. One big bang could have taken out both fragile covers if he had unpacked them post presser to take a peek. Based on a quick glimpse at his ebay feedback he doesn't appear to be a careful packer and/or uses a 3rd party to package/ship his orders. Even slabbed comics can have covers detach if packed improperly and handled by couriers with their usual care.

31 minutes ago, Black_Adam said:

Based on the evidence presented during the trial so far, my money is still on SCS during transit from Dylan to CGC. One big bang could have taken out both fragile covers if he had unpacked them post presser to take a peek. Based on a quick glimpse at his ebay feedback he doesn't appear to be a careful packer and/or uses a 3rd party to package/ship his orders. Even slabbed comics can have covers detach if packed improperly and handled by couriers with their usual care.

This may very well be the case...as they seem to be in nice shape leaving Impaler's in Canada, & would think that if he opened them before sending to cgc he'd have noticed the damage if it happened en route back to the U.S.

One thing that's bothering me is that he stated on I.G. that CGC was offering to compensate him something like $1k-$2k for this....and if that's true (not saying it is or not), then isn't that them ADMITTING wrongdoing on some level?

I mean, just to play Devil's advocate....wouldn't they just tell this kid to kick rocks if his claims were complete B.S. & they handled the books properly? (shrug)

Edited by Top City Comics

1 minute ago, Top City Comics said:

This may very well be the case...as they seem to be in nice shape leaving 147, & would think that if he opened them before sending to cgc he'd have noticed the damage if it happened en route back to the U.S.

One thing that's bothering me is that he stated on I.G. that CGC was offering to compensate him something like $1k-$2k for this....if that's true (not saying it is or not), then isn't that them ADMITTING some wrongdoing on some level?

I mean, just to play Devil's advocate....wouldn't they just tell this kid to kick rocks if his claims were complete B.S. & they handled the books properly? (shrug)

In his earlier posts I didn't see that 

2 minutes ago, Top City Comics said:

This may very well be the case...as they seem to be in nice shape leaving 147, & would think that if he opened them before sending to cgc he'd have noticed the damage if it happened en route back to the U.S.

One thing that's bothering me is that he stated on I.G. that CGC was offering to compensate him something like $1k-$2k for this....if that's true (not saying it is or not), then isn't that them ADMITTING some wrongdoing on some level?

When you submit at a CGC tier you are assigning a value to the comic. If these two were submitted at the standard tier with a value of $1,000 each, that is all CGC will reimburse you for them (which is why you don't want to undervalue your comics to get cheaper grading). I think any company offering a customer compensation views it more as good customer relations than an admission of guilt. And based on previous experience the compensation will most likely only be a credit against future grading.

4 hours ago, Jimmy Linguini said:

I just came back to this thread to share this interview of Dylan from February that is on my youtube channel that I havn't actually watched.

Anybody else watch from about 34:00 to 35:30? Dylan explains his business math and the motto “keep the money moving” and the numbers make no sense whatsoever.  The interviewer was even frozen for a bit as he processed Dylan’s comments but didn’t call him out.  

Just now, 427Impaler said:

I have a question, does anyone know if CGC has some sort of imaging protocol for arriving books?  I would really like to see the condition of the box on arrival.

Pretty sure they offer a service (or used to) where they’ll scan you book.

But, as far as I know, they do not take photos/scans of every book they receive.  They may (probably should) do that for any book that comes thru in the “walk-thru” tier.  

6 minutes ago, 427Impaler said:

I have a question, does anyone know if CGC has some sort of imaging protocol for arriving books?  I would really like to see the condition of the box on arrival.

Would be very surprised if they took a pic of every comic pre-grading, let alone the shipping box they were packed in.

Edited by Black_Adam

3 hours ago, 427Impaler said:

Wow way too many questions and guesswork to address everything.  Here is how the books got here, were handled, and shipped:

Dylan contacted me through IG where I post lots of my results, I prefer to do conservation work but also like doing tough clean/press jobs as well.  This is the kind of work I post there, both clean/press jobs without any work that would negate a blue label:

before
F452FA0F-B2EB-43B2-9E55-0C9CAC204DE5.thumb.jpeg.b1b6f4f2b281047dfdfcc4392b23d2e5.jpeg

after

6A93E95F-C207-4EE3-941A-91FA6CED5155.thumb.jpeg.53b1d10d546ccdc24f2cfabbf31b2641.jpeg

before

647A0318-04C0-4EEE-94E2-1FF8A07FCC0F.thumb.jpeg.9a7140826630a00cffa23d0c35283108.jpeg

after

7625CB31-26D2-4619-95BF-B8B00DEFB06C.thumb.jpeg.bec19baba126ff8579c36333c8407dba.jpeg

all posted with permission of the owner (not Dylan).

the AF 15 books came to me after lengthy discussion regarding my ability to handle them correctly.  About the books:

low grade AF15: 

Book had tape removal and possibly other cleaning/pressing PRIOR to coming to me:  book required light cleaning (dry cleaning, no treatments or chemicals) and pressing.  Top staple was attached but had paper loss toward front cover, managed to slip partial small piece under staple as shown

high grade AF 15:

Very nice book with some pebbling and grit embedment from being pressed some time in the past.  Dry cleaned cover and light press.  Staples were slightly sunk and the bottom staple had off-spine placement so great care was taken in handling.  No chemical treatments or any kind were done on this book.

Books were in Mylars, double back boards, individually cardboard sandwiched, bubble wrapped, placed in a box:  that box was then bubble wrapped, and then placed inside another large box.  Shipping was 2 day priority; arrived in 3 days.  No communication of damage and that was the last I heard About being graded with detached covers.

I almost always take pictures of the books finished and about to be shipped and so glad that I did.  These are the high grade book:

arrival, still in bag and board

1E93B4F0-3B99-47D9-BD66-114932E54E2D.thumb.jpeg.4095ce3cc97a14294a4ef0a935079f1a.jpeg

these were taken on day of departure 

F8359528-EB3F-4034-A29D-A0153445CC73.thumb.jpeg.bf8f646a71452a439b4e82a883daa98a.jpeg

CA5F444D-B6EA-4E91-B0F0-01CE19174478.thumb.jpeg.0916f9218a0ea347958030b85fdfeec1.jpeg

10E0C8CE-1807-4591-911C-76F171DAA900.thumb.jpeg.5b0f8c7845a0bb7a31647381b7767603.jpeg

Low grade arrival

371D20E5-8F01-42A5-B481-715BA494533D.thumb.jpeg.7d133789f5488d26905b7cbd72f7771c.jpeg

on departure:

A738B42E-C5B2-43D6-931A-509081A4D3B4.thumb.jpeg.cfef77c86d71cd5c533a84983488974b.jpeg

3865534D-F13F-4CA7-A2BB-BE91A2461533.jpeg

Thank you for your response.

Quick questions: did you send the books back to the owner? Or sent them directly to the grading company?

4 hours ago, Jimmy Linguini said:

I just came back to this thread to share this interview of Dylan from February that is on my youtube channel that I havn't actually watched.

Forced myself to listen to it while cleaning up the kitchen. :blahblah:    :sick:

He must have substantial labor resources to move even 500 books a week let alone his claim of 800+. At an alleged 15% margin over cost on mainly sub-$20 books, doesn't seem to be much room for the logistical labor of scanning, grading (while providing as little details as possible), listing on the Bay, packing, shipping and managing the customer experience. Hence, some of his feedback results.

There is some interesting comments about trimming and other manipulations about 8 minutes in...other than that, it was painful.

-bc

5 minutes ago, allthingskryptonite said:

Thank you for your response.

Quick questions: did you send the books back to the owner? Or sent them directly to the grading company?

Answered earlier in the thread. The books were carefully packed and sent back to the owner, who then sent them to cgc. 

35 minutes ago, steveinthecity said:

Anybody else watch from about 34:00 to 35:30? Dylan explains his business math and the motto “keep the money moving” and the numbers make no sense whatsoever.  The interviewer was even frozen for a bit as he processed Dylan’s comments but didn’t call him out.  

+1

-bc

15 minutes ago, bc said:

Forced myself to listen to it while cleaning up the kitchen. :blahblah:    :sick:

He must have substantial labor resources to move even 500 books a week let alone his claim of 800+. At an alleged 15% margin over cost on mainly sub-$20 books, doesn't seem to be much room for the logistical labor of scanning, grading (while providing as little details as possible), listing on the Bay, packing, shipping and managing the customer experience. Hence, some of his feedback results.

There is some interesting comments about trimming and other manipulations about 8 minutes in...other than that, it was painful.

-bc

bigD.thumb.jpg.4cf5ca9a149874c9610b8d432b793acd.jpg

Last 30 days he had 1,126 feedbacks.  My experience selling on feebay is that about 1 out of 4 buyers leave feedback so 1,126 x 4 is around 4,500 sales last month (150/day)*.  He has about 1 buyer feedback for every 18 as seller so it's mostly sales.

He's moving a lot of something, somewhere.

*I only ever sell old stuff, no comics, so maybe comic buyers leave feedback at a different rate or buyers hate me? lol

Edited by vheflin