• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

“I will destroy them” Dylans Universe calls out CGC on IG
11 11

1,073 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, tdotcbc84 said:

Does anyone know how he even became an OS advisor?  (Sorry if I missed it in this thread or anywhere else).

The last guide I bought was a few years ago after not having bought one for several years. I read the market reports and looked over the advisor section and said to myself a few times, "who are these people?" I honestly had no idea who they were and what qualifications enabled them to be advisors. There were even a couple names of collectors, not dealers, I did recognize but still wondered how they could have been made advisors. I suppose if I tell Gemstone that I want to be an advisor based on the number of Harvey comics I own, they'd let me be one? lol 

Edited by Grandmaster B

2 hours ago, Old_Man_Adam said:

Ran into Dylan today at a local comic show here in NJ , he’s a just a kid , a really young one at that - I’m not condoning anything and hail from an institution where you’re a man at 18 , like it or not - but I think now-a-days that’s more of a thing of the past , depending on profession . I’ve said some pretty harsh things and still believe there is some fishiness involved in all that transpired and the boy who cried wolf story may ring true here . That being said , I think the situation now is he’s behind the wheel of a vehicle which he can’t control anymore .

I wondered if that was him! I was busy digging through some boxes when he talked to the dealer. I heard him talk about getting a comic graded, putting paper by the staples, and how that little piece of paper cost him thousands or something. 

9 hours ago, joeypost said:

Wouldn't be the first time a teenager was egged on by his parents. We have had a few instances like that already on these boards. One kid even had Steve Borock offer to tutor him in the hobby. He repaid Steve's kindness by redoing Steve's voicemail message laced with F bombs. 

And had free Creme Brule as well IIRC.... :roflmao:

58 minutes ago, Domo Arigato said:

I just went back and reread that thread. 

Man.......Steve Borock has always been such a good ambassador for the hobby.  

This quote from him that was posted at the end of that thread........just.......wow. :frown:

"This episode has probably cost me and my family about $20,000 but, it will not stop me (and hopefully many of you) from trying our best to help the new people who come into our wonderful hobby to make it a better place, for both them and us."

I guess Borock's the bigger man because if someone stiffed me for 20 grand, I'm having kneecaps mounted on my wall.

53 minutes ago, kustomizer said:

Unless it's suddenly 1962 again, how does some kid get 2 copies of AF#15?

I do not know if he is still selling off his dad's books but that is where he started.  I also don't know if his dad has or is financing him.  His site does say his dad helps him with his business.

https://www.dylanuniversecomics.com/meet-dylan-universe-comics/

5 minutes ago, telerites said:

I do not know if he is still selling off his dad's books but that is where he started.  I also don't know if his dad has or is financing him.  His site does say his dad helps him with his business.

https://www.dylanuniversecomics.com/meet-dylan-universe-comics/

Well, now it all makes sense. Thanks. I was born around the time AF#15 came out, I'll always regret that my parents didn't buy a caseload of them for my eventual retirement.

Edited by kustomizer

7 minutes ago, kustomizer said:

Well, now it all makes sense. Thanks. I was born around the time AF#15 came out, I'll always regret that my parents didn't buy a caseload of them for my retirement.

I used to joke with my dad why he didn't buy a caseload of Action Comics #1s (he was born in 1929) but alas they were lucky just to have money for food and shelter.  Okay so maybe not a caseload, just one copy would have sufficed. lol 

1 minute ago, telerites said:

I used to joke with my dad why he didn't buy a caseload of Action Comics #1s (he was born in 1929) but alas they were lucky just to have money for food and shelter.  Okay so maybe not a caseload, just one copy would have sufficed. lol 

That's true, even just one copy would have done the trick ... only a 10 cent investment for $3 million today! Oh well, who knew?

1 hour ago, kustomizer said:

That's true, even just one copy would have done the trick ... only a 10 cent investment for $3 million today! Oh well, who knew?

Only took 80 years 

The trick is to figure out what to buy today for $100 that will become worth a billion a century from now :insane:

1 hour ago, THE_BEYONDER said:

Only took 80 years 

The trick is to figure out what to buy today for $100 that will become worth a billion a century from now :insane:

Today?  Who knows.

But in March 2010, bitcoin was 3-for-a-penny.  So, $100 would have purchased 30,000 bitcoin.  Current value after 10 years (not 80) would be about $300,000,000.

12 minutes ago, valiantman said:

Today?  Who knows.

But in March 2010, bitcoin was 3-for-a-penny.  So, $100 would have purchased 30,000 bitcoin.  Current value after 10 years (not 80) would be about $300,000,000.

Now that’s a return :cloud9: