“I will destroy them” Dylans Universe calls out CGC on IG
14 14

1,073 posts in this topic

22,145 posts
1 minute ago, THE_BEYONDER said:

It used to be that we’d buy CGC books because we knew what we were getting.  

Now the slab is a way to hide shenanigans behind plastic.

Feel like CGC is jumping the shark.

That is very interesting. If slabs are hiding defects you would find in hand that seems pretty terrible. Kind of the opposite of what the expectation is. 

41,332 posts
8 minutes ago, wombat said:
8 minutes ago, wombat said:

That is very interesting. If slabs are hiding defects you would find in hand that seems pretty terrible. Kind of the opposite of what the expectation is. 

I feel like it’s going to come to a point where being able to inspect the raw book in hand, is preferable to CGC’s opinion.

Edited by THE_BEYONDER

40,027 posts
21 minutes ago, THE_BEYONDER said:

Eh, in truth it hasn't always been that way for a long time.  Remember the Jason Ewert scandal?  And at least as far back as when CGC began ignoring bad pressing jobs in their grading.  Both of which took place a long time ago:

JIM93.JPG.a3f9d1b44fb081d8660ac70864c01110.JPG   JIM93facejob.JPG.ecad67d2d0050c67660da91456b98164.JPG

Edited by namisgr

1,559 posts
6 minutes ago, THE_BEYONDER said:

I feel like it’s going to come to a point where being able to inspect the raw book in hand, is preferable to CGC’s opinion.

It's been my preferred way for years.

2,652 posts
30 minutes ago, THE_BEYONDER said:

Now the slab is a way to hide shenanigans behind plastic.

Feel like CGC is jumping the shark.

Yes.

Hence my comment about transparency and trust, particularly when the foundation shows cracks - either by people finding ways to game the system or by company business practices and systems that need to be tightened up.

What was the reason for anybody to have a book slabbed? To have a third, independent party take a look and say, "Hey - this book is legit (universal or restored or signed, etc.) and in our opinion, it's a grade of X.X"... and most people could probably agree on the grade within a .2 / .5 or so.

But that trust factor has got to be rock solid. At least for me. Otherwise, a large reason for submitting a book is no longer valid.

41,332 posts
26 minutes ago, namisgr said:

Eh, in truth it hasn't always been that way for a long time.  Remember the Jason Ewert scandal?  And at least as far back as when CGC began ignoring bad pressing jobs in their grading.  Both of which took place a long time ago:

JIM93.JPG.a3f9d1b44fb081d8660ac70864c01110.JPG   JIM93facejob.JPG.ecad67d2d0050c67660da91456b98164.JPG

38EA2684-E141-4937-99E4-0C81434E1EED.png

1,915 posts
56 minutes ago, comicdonna said:

I wonder if Overstreet has been advised of this?  hm

I would assume so.

41,332 posts
1 minute ago, october said:

Going to come? I've been there for years. I collect mostly golden age and I am far, far more comfortable buying raw on eBay than I am a slab in a big auction. It's all manipulated, and often poorly manipulated. Hint: golden age comics were made with impacted staples that sit inside the spine. Bad press jobs abound. 

You’ve always been ahead of the curve Andy.  :wink:

33,365 posts
4 minutes ago, THE_BEYONDER said:

You’ve always been ahead of the curve Andy.  :wink:

I don't mind a properly done press job at all....but finding one is about as rare as finding an untouched copy. Ham and egger DIY basement job pressers are everywhere and the telltales of their shoddy work are obvious, even in scans, if you know how to look. 

4,057 posts

Anybody else find it weird that he was blown away by Jimmy Olsen 134 when looking through his father's comics? Is that an issue that stands out without knowledge of where the Darkseid character went, simply from seeing his face on a TV screen? Does that issue stand out more than the surrounding ones to someone with no knowledge or familiarity with the history associated? It doesn't to me...and it didn't to a lot of people a few years ago when I would buy them on the cheap because no one seemed to care.

41,332 posts
9 minutes ago, october said:

I don't mind a properly done press job at all....but finding one is about as rare as finding an untouched copy. Ham and egger DIY basement job pressers are everywhere and the telltales of their shoddy work are obvious, even in scans, if you know how to look. 

Ham and eggerlol 

11,635 posts
4 minutes ago, THE_BEYONDER said:

Ham and eggerlol 

In Canada, we call amateur pressers 'shake n bakers' for the clean and quick press.

10,745 posts
1 hour ago, october said:

Outer Limits Boro started pressing books. The last time I went they were selling a Silver Age Thor with a book-long crease as a VF, but hey, it was a flat as rice paper.

4,616 posts

Last time I pressed books was 30 years ago - and it involved multiple volumes of world book encyclopedia and about a weeks wait .. truth ..

41,332 posts
56 minutes ago, aardvark88 said:

In Canada, we call amateur pressers 'shake n bakers' for the clean and quick press.

I’m Canadian:shy: 

33,365 posts
20 minutes ago, DavidTheDavid said:

Outer Limits Boro started pressing books. The last time I went they were selling a Silver Age Thor with a book-long crease as a VF, but hey, it was a flat as rice paper.

Hven't been there in years, but they used to have some pretty nice stuff. Guessing it's all dried up.