• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

“I will destroy them” Dylans Universe calls out CGC on IG
11 11

1,073 posts in this topic

19 minutes ago, 427Impaler said:
26 minutes ago, manetteska said:

Not only did they go to Canada, they went all the way to the western coast of Canada. Versus using any number of more local (NYC or US) and known entities.

So there is most likely some prior relationship here (hence the carrying-the-bag posts earlier), and/or another very specific reason to use these services.

I suggest you be careful here, sounds like you are insinuating I do something that would be considered unethical.  I do work for a few boardies and the reason people use me is good results.  I have several customers on the East coast that ship to me regularly.  My main focus is conservation and extending the life of comics.  The only time I ever use a solvent is during tape removal and even then the final adhesive removal is done with a staedler.  

Careful how? I am saying if I had an alleged $60k+ book (or 2) I would not send them to be pressed/cleaned by:

a). A person/entity I have never used before.

b). A person/entity who's main focus is on conservation if I believe the comics I am sending are un-restored/conserved and I wish to keep them that way.

c). A person/entity across the the US border, necessitating a lot of fees, paperwork, and potentially extra hands touching my expensive books.

So, in summary, for me, a logical person, those are a lot of good reasons to have this work done elsewhere, which begs the question: Why did he use you? I don't think there is anything "ethical" in that question.

On top of that, D--- likes to tout his own services, so why not do it in-house?

3 minutes ago, 427Impaler said:

My comment regarding an insinuation was directed to the other boardie.  I appreciate you linking my lignin thread.

ill try to dig up the pics and post them in a good chronological way.  Obviously I don’t have the graded pics but we know where they are.

taking care of some stuff so will search gather them in the morning

cheers

Just now, 427Impaler said:

Just looking at some of the slab pics, notable that the top looks like a clean staple pop but the bottom is a disaster with a bunch of extra spine damage

Thank you. I figured you would know I wasn't that person ,and also wanted to make it clear as I really have watched your lignin thread.

When I heard them talking about ways to water bath, and clean books it made me think of your post that seemed to not only clean and brighten covers , but from your brittle and aging test,  seemed to bring life back to some of them that would make professional conservationist proud of that work.

It was kind of funny that I linked your thread here and it turns out you did the work on these books.

When I saw you claim these as your press job it kind of surprised me as , like others , i thought it was Dylan. That said , and as others have said definitely leans toward Dylan as the source of this damage and from what I have seen of your process that you shared , it would have been hard for that kind of damage accidentally to happen.  

I look forward to seeing the pictures. Thank you again.

14 hours ago, comicdonna said:
14 hours ago, joeypost said:
15 hours ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

There's no way that this is the same comic book.

If that's the same comic book, then I wear panties to bed.

You would be surprised at some before and after photos. 

It looks like the same book to me.  Look underneath the chin.  

He can’t see.  He wears the panties over his head. :devil:

8 minutes ago, manetteska said:

Careful how? I am saying if I had an alleged $60k+ book (or 2) I would not send them to be pressed/cleaned by:

b). A person/entity who's main focus is on conservation if I believe the comics I am sending are un-restored/conserved and I wish to keep them that way.

c). A person/entity across the the US border, necessitating a lot of fees, paperwork, and potentially extra hands touching my expensive books.

So, in summary, for me, a logical person, those are a lot of good reasons to have this work done elsewhere, which begs the question: Why did he use you? I don't think there is anything "ethical" in that question.

I’m a very logical person also and the wording indicated insinuation.  As opposed to simply asking “why did he use you”.  Anyway no hard feelings, it’s a very charged up topic.  I’m just glad I took pictures!

Have a great night

5 minutes ago, manetteska said:

I am not in the middle of this, nor do I know 427 and I definitely agree if I had alleged $60k+ books they not only would not leave the country,  but would be hard to even leave my hands.

That said I posted a link earlier in the thread when they were talking about water baths, press , etc , that was originally posted by 427 and I could see a draw for some brittle or  tanned books.

The method of conversion he showed , even had me considering sending some my own original well loved books ( that I have zero interest or intention on selling) and I have no interest in conserved or restored books.

It just looked neat that he was bringing some of these books back from the brink and it would be cool to be able to flip back through my old loved books again without as much fear of them disintegrating. 

Here is the link again

Just now, onlyweaknesskryptonite said:

I am not in the middle of this, nor do I know 427 and I definitely agree if I had alleged $60k+ books they not only would not leave the country,  but would be hard to even leave my hands.

That said I posted a link earlier in the thread when they were talking about water baths, press , etc , that was originally posted by 427 and I could see a draw for some brittle or  tanned books.

The method of conversion he showed , even had me considering sending some my own original well loved books ( that I have zero interest or intention on selling) and I have no interest in conserved or restored books.

It just looked neat that he was bringing some of these books back from the brink and it would be cool to be able to flip back through my old loved books again without as much fear of them disintegrating. 

Here is the link again

Yes, I agree. I believe I saw @427Impaler post some of these results on a FB group I am part of before he created a topic here. His results did look very intriguing. However, he made it known from the start this was all conservation/restoration work, and is outside of /separate from the work he did for D---, so I don't know why it continues to be brought up.

5 minutes ago, 427Impaler said:
18 minutes ago, manetteska said:

I’m a very logical person also and the wording indicated insinuation.  As opposed to simply asking “why did he use you”.  Anyway no hard feelings, it’s a very charged up topic.  I’m just glad I took pictures!

Have a great night

OK, then, I'll ask simply: Why did he use you? For books of this nature I'm assuming (perhaps incorrectly) there was some amount of communication between the two parties.

4 minutes ago, manetteska said:

Yes, I agree. I believe I saw @427Impaler post some of these results on a FB group I am part of before he created a topic here. His results did look very intriguing. However, he made it known from the start this was all conservation/restoration work, and is outside of /separate from the work he did for D---, so I don't know why it continues to be brought up.

I can't speak to that. I was just stating why I would see a draw to using his service.  

Do not get me wrong. I do believe all of Dyldos actions were nothing short of what he has started to be known for attempting to game the system.  Nothing short of attempting insurance fraud. 

Unless he would like to do the same as 427 said he will. Post good clear before and after pictures.  

Edited by onlyweaknesskryptonite

13 minutes ago, DocHoppus182 said:

This is going to get interesting. :popcorn:

I know right? 34 pages in and now it looks like we might get actual pictures of the two books before and after press / clean and prior to what damage Dyldo claims CGC did.. 

30 minutes ago, THE_BEYONDER said:

I’m not sure we’re getting more pics than  the kid already posted to IG

But we did get this little tidbit of info...

0B8D8BF9-21EB-4CB5-BF01-BBD7E0B5F33C.jpeg

I did not see any more pictures, although I didn't look on Instagram.  Only what has been posted here and I haven't seen 427s before/ after press and clean. Where those posted on Instagram? But that's is the same highlight I did see a few posts back and it was the same thing I thought.  Even though these were pressed and cleaned by 427. He stated they didn't look anything like the damage shown and with them going back to Dyldo, well we can all figure out more than likely what happened here.

@427Impaler

Did the books get stuck in customs?

Did Dyldo open them when he got them in?

Did he confirm to you all looked good? 

Did he have any pics from after they left your hands and reached him? 

Did you know of his behaviour prior to pressing his books? Will you continue to press for him know that you are aware of his behaviour? 

5 hours ago, Iceman399 said:

Did the books get stuck in customs?

Be interested in knowing the time frame (customs, shipping time, etc) and shipping method to get back to the U.S. after it left 427Impaler.

What would be the insurance cost on something like this?

20 minutes ago, DanCooper said:

Be interested in knowing the time frame (customs, shipping time, etc) and shipping method to get back to the U.S. after it left 427Impaler.

What would be the insurance cost on something like this?

I would think declared value would be 5 digits but depending on who he shipped it with I'm not actually sure, but Dylan had no right to go at CGC in my opinion. I imagine they handle the book delicately, and depending on the press and clean I would think that might have made the book more fragile. I don't think a press makes a book stronger

28 minutes ago, Hollywood1892 said:

I would think declared value would be 5 digits but depending on who he shipped it with I'm not actually sure, but Dylan had no right to go at CGC in my opinion. I imagine they handle the book delicately, and depending on the press and clean I would think that might have made the book more fragile. I don't think a press makes a book stronger

If it was just a press yes agreed, but If you go to the link I posted a few posts back from 427s topic he uses a conservative method to remove lignin that from his torture test show books that would break with two folds last a lot longer it also brought some really tan books back to off white. I still really want to see his pictures, as if this was the method he used on these, it leads me to believe the damage was done elsewhere, and not related to anything he did.  Placing the damage on shipping, DYLAN, or cgc..

9 minutes ago, onlyweaknesskryptonite said:

If it was just a press yes agreed, but If you go to the link I posted a few posts back from 427s topic he uses a conservative method to remove lignin that from his torture test show books that would break with two folds last a lot longer it also brought some really tan books back to off white. I still really want to see his pictures, as if this was the method he used on these, it leads me to believe the damage was done elsewhere, and not related to anything he did.  Placing the damage on shipping, DYLAN, or cgc..

Don't they give a conserved grade for that type of method tho?(pardon my ignorance)I thought Dylan got a 4.0 universal or something. I just think he isn't giving us the entire picture, and I challenged him numerous times to come on the site and defend his case, he stated "it's a conflict of interest" but legalities included his post on IG is no different then posting here (except maybe the backlash)

Edited by Hollywood1892

10 minutes ago, Hollywood1892 said:

Don't they give a conserved grade for that type of method tho?(pardon my ignorance)I thought Dylan got a 4.0 universal or something. I just think he isn't giving us the entire picture, and I challenged him numerous times to come on the site and defend his case, he stated "it's a conflict of interest" but legalities included his post on IG is no different then posting here (except maybe the backlash)

I would agree with all of what you have said here and do not know first hand.  I can only speculate based on what we know so far. When 427 comes back on maybe he can clarify what was or was not done to these books and also hopefully post pictures.  I do know from his thread about removing the lignin that he states it is a proprietary formula he uses to remove it and I am not sure whether CGC would be able to detect it as being conserved,  but I would believe it would be . 427 seems genuine and unlike Dylan has been open and forthcoming . Hopefully this all gets cleared up.