• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

To press or not to press that is the question
1 1

10 posts in this topic

Hello I got these four books here I was thinking of sending them in to get pressed and graded but I was told that a pressing of these books wouldn't help but might hurt them. It wouldn't get any creases out due to the card stock and the hologram card on cover. So any help would be appreciated thanks for looking and have a good day. 

20200908_175533.jpg

2 hours ago, Robert Ortiz Sr said:

I'm just curious William. What about Wolverine 2 3 4 of the limited series?

It’s not clear to me what you mean by this question, perhaps William gets it.

if you mean ‘is it worth it’, it depends on the likely grades and how what your personal risk and financial and collection preferences are.

GPA info

Web of Spider-Man 90 is $85 in 9.8. $43 in 9.6. This book HAS to be a 9.8 in order to be worth it.

ASM 365 is $280.00 in 9.8 and $66.00 in 9.6. 

Spider-Man 26 is $40 in 9.8. Buy one already graded.

Spectacular Spider-Man 189 is $90 in 9.8 and $27.00 in 9.6. This one HAS to be a 9.8. 

If there are any color breaks anywhere on these books, they are not worth it, with the exception of the ASM 365. 

3 hours ago, revat said:

It’s not clear to me what you mean by this question, perhaps William gets it.

I do

5 hours ago, Robert Ortiz Sr said:

I'm just curious William. What about Wolverine 2 3 4 of the limited series?

Wolverine 2 is actually a key issue since it's the first appearance of Yuriko. If your Wolverine 2 looks as good as those spider-man books, then yes it could be worth sending it in. If there are colourbreaking ticks (so white lines) along the spine or big creases then it's not worth sending in.

3 and 4 could also be worthwhile but they have to look really good, like I said with issue 2. If you see any hint of white lines on the cover because creases, then it would not be worth it.

And all the corners have to be straight and square, not curved or bended.

I would send the Wolverine books in over these Spidey books. Unless that 365 is 9.8 worthy, it would be a waste.

People need to understand that comics printed from 1990-1995 were printed 5 to 10 TIMES as much as they are now. Even if you get a 9.8, they can be a tough sell because majority of collectors will already have these in their PCs and it will take a special person who just loves these hologram covers to spend top dollar to get one, especially when you can get equally nice raws for $10 or less. 

It was my understanding, from a friend of mine who presses comics for a living, that heat can potentially damage holograms, foil, glued spines, etc. if not done properly.  Even done properly, there could be adverse effects.  If I send him anything like that, he won't press them unless I specifically ask for it.  I always refer to his good judgement since he's been doing this for almost 40 years.  Just food for thought. (thumbsu