• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

So I finally had a few of my lobby cards graded

54 posts in this topic

On 9/9/2020 at 3:39 PM, OtherEric said:

I need to figure out how to display the one set of Lobby Cards I have.  My dad worked in a theater when he was in college, and he got to keep some when he cleared out the storage, so I have a full set of eight cards from the original release of Bridge on the River Kwai.  I keep thinking they would make a neat display.

For lobby cards I use a 14x18 color metal (Nielsen type) frame with a matching color matte board cut for an 11x14 image (it will be slightly less than 11x14 to let it hold the pic, so to speak.)  For larger pieces like one-shhets (27x41), half sheets (22x28), inserts (14x36) etc. I use a color frame that is cut for that size, so it is flush mounted. For any piece I look at it and use a frame color that complements the piece. Sorry for the crappy phone photos but I think they convery the idea.

BTW - that Son of Frankenstein in the red grouping is a CGC graded still in the mylar.

PS - LarryW7 - finally got an original Wolf Man 1941 lobby! :smile:

framed movie paper2.jpg

MoviePaperFramed.jpg

Edited by PovertyRow
more info

12 hours ago, PovertyRow said:

For lobby cards I use a 14x18 color metal (Nielsen type) frame with a matching color matte board cut for an 11x14 image (it will be slightly less than 11x14 to let it hold the pic, so to speak.)  For larger pieces like one-shhets (27x41), half sheets (22x28), inserts (14x36) etc. I use a color frame that is cut for that size, so it is flush mounted. For any piece I look at it and use a frame color that complements the piece. Sorry for the crappy phone photos but I think they convery the idea.

BTW - that Son of Frankenstein in the red grouping is a CGC graded still in the mylar.

PS - LarryW7 - finally got an original Wolf Man 1941 lobby! :smile:

framed movie paper2.jpg

MoviePaperFramed.jpg

Wow! Pov, that's awesome!

On 9/17/2020 at 1:06 PM, Crowzilla said:

Fun card Cat, always cool to see one of the Karloff cards.

I picked this one up awhile back.  This one is from 1921.  It's Karloff's 11th film, and most of the previous appearances were as extras or bit parts.  It's possible this is the earliest film for which Karloff appears in a lobby card (or I should say cards... since I know there is at least one other card from this movie that features him).

20200924_083304.jpg

2 hours ago, Bookery said:

I picked this one up awhile back.  This one is from 1921.  It's Karloff's 11th film, and most of the previous appearances were as extras or bit parts.  It's possible this is the earliest film for which Karloff appears in a lobby card (or I should say cards... since I know there is at least one other card from this movie that features him).

Great looking card!  There is definitely a card out there from Prince & Betty that features Karloff (Mike Hawks has it, I don't have an image) which is probably his earliest card, and there is a card from Deadlier Sex and at least one from Hope Diamond Mystery. Definitely a difficult task to try and track any of them down though.

2 hours ago, Crowzilla said:

Great looking card!  There is definitely a card out there from Prince & Betty that features Karloff (Mike Hawks has it, I don't have an image) which is probably his earliest card, and there is a card from Deadlier Sex and at least one from Hope Diamond Mystery. Definitely a difficult task to try and track any of them down though.

Thanks!  It's amazing the info available on these boards.  At 1919, Prince & Betty would be a good bet at earliest, then.