• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Canadian Price Variants (pre 1987 when direct vs newsstand we're about 50/50)
1 1

5 posts in this topic

This may be a dumb question, but are Canadian Price Variants from 1984-1986 really that rare? I ask because I managed to get my hands on a few for less than $10 a piece, and I'm thinking the person who sold them to me didn't know how to price them. 

Ebay has been unreliable as many posts arent labeled as Canadian Price Variants (many don't appear to be either when I compared the US and Canada covers). Checking the CGC census, I tend to find less than 10 of the Canadian Price Variantsbfoe the issues o have come into possession of. All of my copies are unofficially Very Good to very fine (so obviously less than say a 9.8). I say unofficial due to not knowing if the seller is a comic dealer who would understand conditions or not . Some are reissues of 60s and 70s Spiderman storylines, but the American versions of the same reissues on places like MyComicShop are going for hundreds of dollars. One is a Peter Porker as Spider-Ham (#3). I can provide more details if that helps. 

Part of me wants to send them in for grading, part of me wants to keep them for the simple fact they are a Canadian Price Variant that I got for less than a 90s Marvel Comic. 

How can I be sure of the rarity (for things like insurance claims should something happen) and price I should ask for them. 

Sorry if this a dumb noob question. 

• Administrator

Good morning, thanks for your message.  Unfortunately, CGC cannot advise you on the rarity of your books or provide any pricing information.  You might check with a local comic dealer and they could provide you with more information and/or appraise your books for you.  You can find a listing of authorized CGC dealers on our website here: CGC authorized dealers

Thank you!

just as an aside, rarity should have no direct impact on what you claim for insurance, though I guess it could indirectly as a function of price.

also, some are definitely worth more than others, BUT it does depend largely on the book and the condition AND in the event that you are in Canada, the border MAY affect your realizable profit margins after shipping/fees/taxes/insurance/risk/exchange rate/etc.  So that may affect your potential bottom line and your chosen selling venue.

Also, the CGC census only tells you how many have been graded, and in general has no correlation to the amount of available RAW copies may be in existence or available (not the same thing) on the open market.

On ‎9‎/‎10‎/‎2020 at 11:56 PM, badkneecollector93 said:

This may be a dumb question, but are Canadian Price Variants from 1984-1986 really that rare? I ask because I managed to get my hands on a few for less than $10 a piece, and I'm thinking the person who sold them to me didn't know how to price them. 

Ebay has been unreliable as many posts arent labeled as Canadian Price Variants (many don't appear to be either when I compared the US and Canada covers). Checking the CGC census, I tend to find less than 10 of the Canadian Price Variantsbfoe the issues o have come into possession of. All of my copies are unofficially Very Good to very fine (so obviously less than say a 9.8). I say unofficial due to not knowing if the seller is a comic dealer who would understand conditions or not . Some are reissues of 60s and 70s Spiderman storylines, but the American versions of the same reissues on places like MyComicShop are going for hundreds of dollars. One is a Peter Porker as Spider-Ham (#3). I can provide more details if that helps. 

Part of me wants to send them in for grading, part of me wants to keep them for the simple fact they are a Canadian Price Variant that I got for less than a 90s Marvel Comic. 

How can I be sure of the rarity (for things like insurance claims should something happen) and price I should ask for them. 

Sorry if this a dumb noob question.